Member Login

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2006 12:07:08 PM EDT

Worthington man charged with shooting cheerleader near cemetery
By Matthew Marx
The Columbus Dispatch
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 10:15 AM

A Worthington man has been arrested on charges that he shot into a group of teens near a cemetery, leaving a 17-year-old girl critically injured, police said.

The victim, Rachel Barezinsky, was at Ohio State University Medical Center this morning with gunshot wounds to her head and shoulder, a hospital spokesman said.

Allen S. Davis, 40, of 141 Sharon Springs Dr. is charged with five counts of felonious assault. He is in the Franklin County jail and is scheduled to appear in Municipal Court Thursday morning.

The shooting occurred shortly after 10 last night on Sharon Springs Drive, north of W. Lincoln Avenue. Barezinsky was in a car with several other teens who had driven to Walnut Grove Cemetery, Worthington Police Chief Mike Mauger said.

The teens got out of the car and heard what they thought were firecrackers, Mauger said. They jumped back into the car and circled the block, then heard more of what turned out to be gunshots, he said.

Mauger said the shots came from a house at 141 Sharon Springs Dr., where Davis lives. The house sits across from the cemetery, and local teens consider the house "spooky."

"Kids come down this street for the thrill of being scared," Mauger said. According to police, teens have occasionally run up the driveway of the house off Milton Avenue.

The teens realized that Rachel had been shot and drove north on N. High Street until they spotted police officers Jim Moran and Steve Nette in a parking lot at the corner of N. High Street and New England Avenue. Paramedics took Rachel by ambulance to OSU Medical Center.

Rachel is a cheerleader on the Thomas Worthington High School Cardinals squad. Classes start Thursday.

mmarx@dispatch.com

I think the shooter was in the wrong on thisone. I do wonder if the kids will get busted for tresspassing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:38:40 PM EDT
Sounds like a 2-way wrong.

Guy was wrong for shooting, kids have probably been bugging the shit out of him and he got crazy.

Hard to tell on the crappy, vague reporting of the newspaper columnists.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:52:19 PM EDT
+ 1

Got that right, bro.

"A man has got to know his limits."
"Dirty" Harry
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:41:58 PM EDT
I grew up less than a half a mile from where this happened. We used to go down to that cemetery all of the time, but we were never in any situation like that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:04:42 PM EDT
The Kids were most likely up to mischief but didn't deserve to be shot. This guy violated all the rules of engagement. He is a nut and gave a bunch or interviews which will surely hurt his case.

He's the picture perfect poster boy for the anti gun media and gun ban extermists. When we try to get Castle doctrine here in Ohio this case will most likely be used against us.

This write up from channel fours websites seems to be a bit more in depth.

Police: Homeowner Shoots Teen After Apparent Prank
Girl, 17, In Critical Condition
WORTHINGTON, Ohio -- A 17-year-old girl was in critical condition on Wednesday morning after a homeowner allegedly shot her during an apparent prank.
Rachel Barezinsky is at The Ohio State University Medical Center, NBC 4's David Wayne reported.

SLIDESHOW: Images From Scene
The shooting took place shortly after 10 p.m. outside a home at Milton and Lincoln avenues, police said.
Barezinsky, 17, was among a group of five girls who allegedly went to a cemetery for a late-night thrill and then ran across the street to what has been described as a haunted house, according to police.
"This house is in a very woodsy area. The kids started going for a thrill hunt. They go down to the cemetery and the other aspect is to sort of run over to the house," said Worthington police Lt. Doug Francis. "They made a couple steps, they got in the yard and one of the girls that stayed behind honked the horn. When that occurred, that startled the girls and the girls ran back to the car."
Detectives said that when the girls ran around the house, a person who lives inside the house, Allen Davis, fired the shots.
Barezinsky was struck in the shoulder and head with rounds fired from a small-caliber handgun, Wayne reported.
The five teens then ran to their car and drove away before they flagged down an officer on High Street.
"The suspect, who we've charged, appears as is he was almost waiting or he was aware that this may occur," Francis said.
Residents said that similar thrill hunts have occurred recently, with people knocking on doors.
"I think he got fed up with people knocking on the door. The kids have been playing in the cemetery for years," said Steven Davis, a neighbor.
Davis granted a jailhouse interview to NBC 4 hours after his arrest, saying that the use of deadly force was justified. Davis told NBC 4's Nancy Burton that he just wanted to get his side of the story out.
Davis said that his home has been targeted by what he called juvenile delinquents for months. He said that on Tuesday night, he had had enough.
Davis admitted that he never saw anyone Tuesday night, but that he heard voices outside his home, which is why he said he didn't hesitate to pick up his .22-caliber rifle and fire two shots outside his bedroom window.
"I didn't know what their weaponry was, what their intentions were. In a situation like that you assume the worst-case scenario, if you're going to protect your family from a possible home invasion and murder," he said. "I don't know whether they were simply vandals or delinquents or simple trespassers. It could very well be that they had even more violent plans for my family. It's regretful that juveniles choose to engage in delinquent behavior."
Davis will make an initial court appearance on Thursday. He was charged with five counts of felonious assault.
Barezinsky's classmates have planned to hold a vigil on Wednesday at 8 p.m. at Thomas Worthington High School.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:26:59 PM EDT
Very sad, to bad it had to go that far, hope the girl pulls through.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:33:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2006 2:33:32 PM EDT by CZ-75Jeff]

Originally Posted By KnightofTheOldeCode:
The Kids were most likely up to mischief but didn't deserve to be shot. This guy violated all the rules of engagement. He is a nut and gave a bunch or interviews which will surely hurt his case.

He's the picture perfect poster boy for the anti gun media and gun ban extermists. When we try to get Castle doctrine here in Ohio this case will most likely be used against us.

Unfortunately, you are 100% correct. That guy's a few bulbs shy of a chandoliere
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:08:14 PM EDT
The guy isn't all there. I don't think he realizes how much trouble he is in. He lived there with mommy dearest. I don't think she let him out much. He is enjoying all the attention he is getting. That's why he's giving all the interviews.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top