Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 8:05:31 PM EDT
I'm in Spring, TX (Harris County) and am considering buying land somewhere mainly for shooting.  Where would one find the laws covering where it's legal to shoot?  I'd hate to buy somewhere that's going to be off limits in 5 or 10 years because of encroachment.

Alternatively, anyone know where there's an indoor range in/near Spring and a place to shoot w/o range nazis?

Randall  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:16:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Sportsmans outlet in humble ( 59/1960) well 1 mile east of 59 on 1960.
Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:31:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Would this be a "private range" for you only?  Or open for buisness? or Private/ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:36:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm in Spring, TX (Harris County) and am considering buying land somewhere mainly for shooting.  Where would one find the laws covering where it's legal to shoot?  I'd hate to buy somewhere that's going to be off limits in 5 or 10 years because of encroachment.

Alternatively, anyone know where there's an indoor range in/near Spring and a place to shoot w/o range nazis?

Randall  

Don't buy land in Harris Co. and you'll be fine. If you buy at least 20 acres I believe there is not restrictions that can be imposed for "hunting" unless you become a hazard to your neighbors.

BTW I second the Sportsman range in Humble. They have always been nice to me and allow me to shoot my SMGs there. (I should get paid by them for shooting my SMGs there because they sell a lot more ammo to other people when I'm there since I usually let others shoot my SMGs if they buy ammo.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:32:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You should start with a google search of "Texas SB 734", which is now law.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#5]
It looks like you would need at least 50 acres for rifle/pistol shooting to be protected from city annexing.  I don't know if the different counties have a minimum acreage for shooting though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting. I've been kind of half contemplating this myself.

So as I read the text, if you set up the range on 50+ acres more than 300 feet from another building, you can shoot until the state law changes, no matter which jurisidction annexes your property. The catch being that you have to be unincorporated when you purchase the land originally, otherwise the existing rules for the municipality apply.

I'm assuming most of us are interested in centerfire rifle and pistol, BTW.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Yea rifle/pistol.  Laws aren't going to be the problem for long.  Looks like it's population density.  I"m going to look around for some acreage to get an idea about $.  I don't want to drive 3 hours one way or anything.  As far as allowing others, depends.  Personally I couldn't give a rat's ass as long as no one caused problems with the surrounding properties but I'm also ignorant about what my legal liabilities would actually be.  CHL holders only or something like that maybe?  Hell, it might all be a pipedream in the end.

Randall
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I, uh, third Sportsman's. Machinegun Mike was nice enough to let me put a few through his M16 last weekend, which was my first experiance with a full boogy toy. It was a mistake cause now I want one. *Sigh * if only it didn't cost as much as a car...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Go a few hours North to Milam County, Anything goes there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top