Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2008 5:02:33 PM EDT
fyi..  Its not been posted yet to the local stations but sounds like there was some type of incident at silverbullet today.   WoodTV reporting possible suicide but they havent confirmed everything yet.  More news to follow.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 7:00:43 PM EDT
Flipping to TV 8 now... Thanks!

Hello from south of ya!
S-28
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 7:56:10 PM EDT
Note - they had it on at 6 PM. But I havent seen anything on any of the local stations since.  I know it was a shooting of some sort.   Either accidental or intentional I dont know.    
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 9:25:58 AM EDT
I search for news stories and haven't found any.... Anyone find any articles?
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 9:30:29 AM EDT
I called WoodTV this morning and asked them why no coverage.  

They advised it was a suicide and that the local stations do not cover them.  

Talked to SB this morning and they are open for business, but couldnt get any other info out of them.

Link Posted: 10/8/2008 9:52:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/8/2008 9:53:13 AM EDT by dougwg]
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 4:02:02 PM EDT
Unfortunate, I hope this doesn't negatively effect any of the staff memebers or the business. Silver Bullet is a class act.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 4:04:34 PM EDT
Did it involve a rental gun?
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:10:39 PM EDT
not the first time this has happened, a few years back it happened at the place on Woodward, targert sports i think
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:39:41 PM EDT
Yes, gun range suicide is more common than most people realize.  Either the people can't afford a their own gun or can't purchase one so they go rent a gun at a range of off themselves.

I feel bad for the staff.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 9:41:38 PM EDT
IIRC, it's happened twice at Double Action
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 12:23:52 PM EDT
Suicide has happened at Kent Arms too years ago.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 1:06:07 PM EDT
9mm or .45?
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 6:30:09 AM EDT
From the Grand Rapids Press

http://blog.mlive.com/chronicle/2008/10/grand_rapids_woman_kills_herse.html

Grand Rapids woman kills herself at Wyoming shooting range
Posted by The Grand Rapids Press October 08, 2008 21:04PM
Categories: Grand Rapids
WYOMING — A 29-year-old Grand Rapids woman killed herself in a Division Avenue shooting range shortly after 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The woman, who had been a regular customer at the Silver Bullet Firearms Indoor Range & Training Center at 5121 South Division, rented a handgun, fired a few times at a target while in the shooting lane, then turned the gun on herself, said Wyoming Police Capt. Brad Schutter.

There was one other customer in a lane at the time and two others in the business. The victim died at the scene.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 8:12:32 PM EDT
Would have been freaky to be in the lane next to her.  

Why somebody would do that I don't think I will ever understand.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 7:01:07 AM EDT
Glad she did not hurt someone else.
Several years back at Galyan's (now Dick's) in Indianapolis a customer came in, took a shotgun shell out of a box and asked to see a shotgun and blew his head off.

Unlike a gun shop, this was mall based location (Castleton) and really could have been much worse.

I'm glad to see the press has laid off this story on Silver Bullet and hope they can recover cleanly from this.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 7:32:08 AM EDT
When I was at Ft Bragg an MP went into Bob's and rented a pistol and shot himself.  Apparently he was busted selling drugs
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:13:56 AM EDT
Report on the deed is out:

Report released on suicide at shooting range

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 10:56 PM EDT
Updated: Oct 15, 2008 06:18 AM EDT

By Marc Thompson

WYOMING, Mich. (WOOD) -- A Grand Rapids woman took her own life at the Silver Bullet Firearms shooting range at 5121 S. Division Avenue in Wyoming.

Through the Freedom of Information Act, 24 Hour News 8 obtained the police report about the October 7 incident.

A single entry on a MySpace.com page posted May 10 showed Holly Shea, 29, was having suicidal thoughts. She described herself as "angry"...a hairstylist suffering from "depression." She even mentioned attempting suicide three weeks earlier.

Shea asked a friend to go with her to the shooting range to "blow off some steam." Her friend agreed and said Shea had been feeling depressed about a recent breakup with her boyfriend.

When they arrived at the range Shea filled out a range use registration form and rented a Beretta 92 semi-automatic pistol. Shea's friend did not go into the shooting area but observed Shea from outside the bulletproof glass.

Shea's gun jammed several times as she shot at the target set up seven feet away. Another shooter inside the range helped her three times to get her gun working properly.

At one point Shea turned and mouthed the words "I love you" to her friend through the bulletproof glass. Shea's friend said he then saw Shea put the gun to one of her temples and fired the fatal shot.

An online search shows gun range suicide is more common than you might think, with more than a million entries on Google.com. Many of the articles raise questions about gun range safety laws and if there are enough precautions in place to prevent suicides.

24 Hour News 8 put those questions to firearms legal expert and defense attorney Paul Ledford. He has taught concealed pistol license classes at Silver Bullet Firearms for several years.

"It's also one of the best self-regulated facilities that I've been in or have seen," said Ledford.

Ledford points out several safety measures in place at Silver Bullet Firearms, including bulletproof glass, separate shooting pods, ammunition restrictions, and the use of a detailed registration form that checks for mental illness. He said Silver Bullet Firearms also has a range officer to monitor activity inside the shooting area.

"My experience has been that if someone wants to commit suicide it doesn't matter where they do it. They can do it anywhere," Ledford said.

Officials at Silver Bullet Firearms declined to comment.

We contacted Wyoming's state Representative Kevin Green who said it's an unfortunate incident but does not think further legislation would have prevented it.

Representative Michael Sak declined to comment.

Nice to do that to your friend, have him watch you kill yourself.  What a waste.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:07:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/15/2008 11:07:26 AM EDT by SevenMaryThree]

Originally Posted By murphysteuer:
Glad she did not hurt someone else.
Several years back at Galyan's (now Dick's) in Indianapolis a customer came in, took a shotgun shell out of a box and asked to see a shotgun and blew his head off.

Unlike a gun shop, this was mall based location (Castleton) and really could have been much worse.

...a couple weeks before Christmas.
...during peak hours.
...it was a mess.
...company policy was changed to mandate the use of trigger locks on display guns.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:14:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/15/2008 5:15:38 PM EDT by Furner]

An online search shows gun range suicide is more common than you might think, with more than a million entries on Google.com. Many of the articles raise questions about gun range safety laws and if there are enough precautions in place to prevent suicides.

i love how a reporter thinks that the number of hits on google search of gun range suicides is a good way to determine the commonality of the act.

typical grand rapids journalism.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 2:47:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/18/2008 2:49:01 AM EDT by Thumbtack]

Shea's gun jammed several times as she shot at the target set up seven feet away. Another shooter inside the range helped her three times to get her gun working properly.

Well, I guess I would have been pissed too... not that much though.  $#%! Beretta...

She had a son, her family, friends, and to do this to them because you life isn't going so great is one of the lowest things you can do.  Her myspace page also states (by her own admission) that she tried to kill herself earlier this year, why didn't someone step in and have her get some professional help?

On one hand I am pissed that this happend to the great staff at SB, and I am sure it probably causes them a bunch of problems.  On the other one though, sad to see some chick kill herself because some guy dumped her...
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:00:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Thumbtack:

Well, I guess I would have been pissed too... not that much though.  $#%! Beretta...

She had a son, her family, friends, and to do this to them because you life isn't going so great is one of the lowest things you can do.  Her myspace page also states (by her own admission) that she tried to kill herself earlier this year, why didn't someone step in and have her get some professional help?

On one hand I am pissed that this happend to the great staff at SB, and I am sure it probably causes them a bunch of problems.  On the other one though, sad to see some chick kill herself because some guy dumped her...

I do not know about "sad".  Insecurity and lack of self-worth are not attractive traits.  I remember stopping by my parents’ house years ago and Mom was visiting w/ her childhood friend and her friend’s daughter.  One look at the daughter and those traits were obvious.  Just the way she clutched her Mountain Dew bottle to her chest; the way she stood; the look in her eyes.  After they left my mother commented that the girl had a troubled youth but was working through issues and engaged to be married.  I said the first thing that came to my mind: somehting about she struck me as the type to shack up w/ some loser who ends up killing both in a murder/suicide.  Few years later I was working in a university dorm kitchen and I hear over the radio that she, and her kid IIRC, were murdered by her husband before he comitted suicide.  I really have a tough time feeling any sympathy for these people.  Sucks to be the kid whose parents are screwed up, but if you want your life fixed you have to fix it.  Life is generally not easy (well mine is).  You just buck up and make things work.  If you do not live in a manner that gives your life value and then see that value in yourself, life is not going to be good.

So, in summary, I do not feel sadness for her but disdain.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 10:35:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bsf:

Originally Posted By Thumbtack:

I do not know about "sad".  Insecurity and lack of self-worth are not attractive traits.  I remember stopping by my parents’ house years ago and Mom was visiting w/ her childhood friend and her friend’s daughter.  One look at the daughter and those traits were obvious.  Just the way she clutched her Mountain Dew bottle to her chest; the way she stood; the look in her eyes.  After they left my mother commented that the girl had a troubled youth but was working through issues and engaged to be married.  I said the first thing that came to my mind: somehting about she struck me as the type to shack up w/ some loser who ends up killing both in a murder/suicide.  Few years later I was working in a university dorm kitchen and I hear over the radio that she, and her kid IIRC, were murdered by her husband before he comitted suicide.  I really have a tough time feeling any sympathy for these people.  Sucks to be the kid whose parents are screwed up, but if you want your life fixed you have to fix it.  Life is generally not easy (well mine is).  You just buck up and make things work.  If you do not live in a manner that gives your life value and then see that value in yourself, life is not going to be good.

So, in summary, I do not feel sadness for her but disdain.

I am sad that she left behind a child who won't understand the reasons for her decision.  Said child will probably have a very hard time dealing with that.  
Top Top