Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2008 4:53:53 PM EDT
I was in SS today and noticed they sell everything way over MSRP. I purchased a Stag Arms Model 3 from Keene's Depot in Bardstown for $699.99. The MSRP on Stags website says $895. SS had them marked at $939. The model 3 is a basic AR without any front or rear sights. How can they mark up such a basic rifle like that. I will gladly go out of my way to Bardstown for great prices and very friendly service. Something SS knows nothing about.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I went in there the other day, never had been there before. Yea the prices were a shocker. I wouldnt say the people were unfriendly. I guess they are catering to the St Matthews crowd $$$$$$$$$$.I did see stripped lowers for 125 and that aint too bad in my opinion.

What gunstore is in bardstown? I dont buy much form local stores so I dont know where they all are.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya, I have said it several times, I only go to SS as an absolute last resort.  A few of the young guys have been very helpful before but the military rifle guy with a studer irritates the shit out of me.  Not because he studers but because he is just pushy with all the merchandise.  For example, one week ago I called and asked if they stocked YHM one piece gas block front site, and all he would tell me is that no BUT the MI is way better and I really need to see it and it holds zero so much better and its really a steal at $160 blah, blah, blah.  Cool store, but only go there to see what new stuff is out, they do have a nice ar and ar products selection(vltor, troy, samson, magpul, lmt, etc).

Danny's gun repair sells Stag flatop with MI rear sight for $750-$775 depends how his day has been.  and he sells stag stripped lowers and uppers $95.  I dont give anyone else my money.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in SS this week also and a guy wanted them to transfer something he bought off the net.  They told him NO since they could order it from a supplier.  Then they told him that they were not in the business to make money for other people.  I have no problem with them not doing transfers if they don't want to, but the way they talked to the guy was out of line.  
I guess they have to have high prices to pay for all their advertising on Shopping Kentuckiana.

+ 1 on Keenes Depot, they are next to Boone's Butcher shop.  

Great store... you can pick up guns, ammo, beer, bait and a country ham all in one stop.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I go there to handle the merchandise but I rarely buy. They were asking $29.95 for a steel FAL mag last time I was in.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]
i was there today picked up some wolf ammo, i have to admit i do alot of business

with them because they are so close to my house i will pay i lil more for convenience

i did notice today they had pmags for like 16 bucks thats a pretty good price
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i was there today picked up some wolf ammo, i have to admit i do alot of business

with them because they are so close to my house i will pay i lil more for convenience

i did notice today they had pmags for like 16 bucks thats a pretty good price

Pmags $14.21 delivered from aimsurplus.com.  But I hear ya, four dollar a gallon gas will make a man do some strange things.  j/k
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 4:44:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was in SS this week also and a guy wanted them to transfer something he bought off the net.  They told him NO since they could order it from a supplier.  Then they told him that they were not in the business to make money for other people.  I have no problem with them not doing transfers if they don't want to, but the way they talked to the guy was out of line.  
I guess they have to have high prices to pay for all their advertising on Shopping Kentuckiana.

Great store... you can pick up guns, ammo, beer, bait and a country ham all in one stop.

I have never been to SS but will have to check it out.

FWIW, one of the stores in frankfort (mike's I believe) has sort of the same transfer policy. They won't do it if its something they have in stock (from what one guy said on the phone one day).
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes Keene's is a great place. The guy was very friendly and wanted to make sure i got exactly what i wanted and not what he thought i needed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So the $25-$35 bucks FFL charge for transfers (free money just paperwork) go to other people NO, so the guy went else where the lost $25-$35, AND ANOTHER CUSTOMER

I walked in one day was stopped at the door

him: need help
Me: was wanting to look at some 6.5 grend.....
him: all no you don't want 6.5 grendel you should look at this.....and if you get this one you can shoot on army bases....it's the law....bah bah bah
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I did buy a 16" DSA FAL from them with the short gas system. The price was `$300.00 below MSRP and they had it in stock so I bought it. The people are friendly but I do hear some interesting conversations in there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#12]
In it's day, Shooter's was the best gun supply in the central Kentucky area. I thik the biggest problem they have was the store expansion and the new manager. I still go in about twice a year and will probably continue to do some business there. Lord knows they've got enough off me in the past ten years.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I long for the days when they were in the 'broom closet' sized store.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Well put Sparqs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#15]
im in there pretty often.  i buy my wolf 223 ammo there and after my ems discount, its 6.29 a box.  I've talked to those guys several times, i've asked my share of stupid questions and they've never talked down to me or acted like assholes. Personally, i've never had anything but great service there. Prices are a higher than the internet, but gee, isn't everybody's.  Of course you're going to find better deals online, but that goes for everything.  I personally hate to wait for crap to come in the mail.  I buy a toy i wanna use it asap, not wait for delivery so i'm willing to pay for the convenience.  So if you guys can find the SAME merchandise locally and cheaper, by all means, let us know.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 7:41:30 AM EDT
[#16]
We have already said that Keene's depot in bardstown has excellent prices and service...ill make the drive for the service alone...if i go in a shop looking for something in particular and the sales people try to get me to buy something else for a higher price, thats shiity service...i went in to look at their Beretta 96d police trade ins and Skip (the salesman) kept trying to get me to look at everything but the Berettas...after i made it clear that i wanted a Beretta he basically pawned the sale onto someone else...WHAT A LOSER
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
We have already said that Keene's depot in bardstown has excellent prices and service...ill make the drive for the service alone...if i go in a shop looking for something in particular and the sales people try to get me to buy something else for a higher price, thats shiity service...i went in to look at their Beretta 96d police trade ins and Skip (the salesman) kept trying to get me to look at everything but the Berettas...after i made it clear that i wanted a Beretta he basically pawned the sale onto someone else...WHAT A LOSER

Skip is the guy I was talking about too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 4:04:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
im in there pretty often.  i buy my wolf 223 ammo there and after my ems discount, its 6.29 a box.  I've talked to those guys several times, i've asked my share of stupid questions and they've never talked down to me or acted like assholes. Personally, i've never had anything but great service there. Prices are a higher than the internet, but gee, isn't everybody's.  Of course you're going to find better deals online, but that goes for everything.  I personally hate to wait for crap to come in the mail.  I buy a toy i wanna use it asap, not wait for delivery so i'm willing to pay for the convenience.  So if you guys can find the SAME merchandise locally and cheaper, by all means, let us know.

after your EMS discount you are still paying more than 300 dollars a case, google searching the first result for wolf 223 showed me a place selling it by the case for 240. No matter how good service is at a place, gun shops have to be competitive in pricing because when it boils down guns bought from different places all operate the same.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#19]
i'm sure if punishedprimate was to buy wolf by the case a shooters the price would be

much better then buying by the box as well. in your google search did you happen to notice

what a single box of wolf went for at that site?

just as i price check i looked at a certain internet dealer based in Versailles

and it was priced from 5 to 6 bucks a box but was 250 a case so at 6 bucks a box that is still

300 a case if bought a single box at a time then then tack on shipping if say you only want

10 or 12 box's and your back to shooters price but you had to wait 4 or 5 days to get it.

in louisville to pick'ns are slim so i guess you gotta take what you can get.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
i'm sure if punishedprimate was to buy wolf by the case a shooters the price would be

much better then buying by the box as well. in your google search did you happen to notice

what a single box of wolf went for at that site?

just as i price check i looked at a certain internet dealer based in Versailles

and it was priced from 5 to 6 bucks a box but was 250 a case so at 6 bucks a box that is still

300 a case if bought a single box at a time then then tack on shipping if say you only want

10 or 12 box's and your back to shooters price but you had to wait 4 or 5 days to get it.

in louisville to pick'ns are slim so i guess you gotta take what you can get.

Never been there, but I have heard several people speaking of KY imports near Old Henry for the cheapest ammo in Louisville.  I know they dont sell guns, but even Bob at Oakwoods told me to go there for ammo.

BTW, when I called SS to ask about transfer fees, they had to check with the boss, and then said $50, I mean, we all have bills to pay, but god damn!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Oakwoods is still open? Where are they at?
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#22]
The Oakwood, in Middletown on Shelbyville Rd. about a mile from gene snyder in strip mall behind KFC on left.  Hope I didn't throw you off by saying Oakwoods.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#23]
ky imports has about the same price's on ammo as center fire which is about 29 cent cheaper

then shooter after getting a 10% discount so after spending the extra gallon for $4.29 gas to

get to ky imports what have i saved. it's funny that shooters is the bad guy and oakwood is

ok his price's aren't that great and the selection in the shop is very very very limited.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I long for the days when they were in the 'broom closet' sized store.

Yep they used to have the best prices in town.  Now they are above MSRP.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 4:00:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The Oakwood, in Middletown on Shelbyville Rd. about a mile from gene snyder in strip mall behind KFC on left.  Hope I didn't throw you off by saying Oakwoods.

Not at all. I haven't set foot in there in 15 years. I'll have to drop by sometime.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll admit Oakwood is a very small shop, but Bob is a nice, easygoing guy, something of a rarity among gunshop owners, unfortunately.  His prices are better or equal to the best prices in the area. I recently bought a G34 from him for $595.  I think Shooters Supply wants $670 for the same pistol.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Oakwood is not far from my work, the folks are always nice, it's kind of like the old timey gun shops where you came in, browsed, and talked.  Selection was pretty limited, but prices looked good.

Michael
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'll admit Oakwood is a very small shop, but Bob is a nice, easygoing guy, something of a rarity among gunshop owners, unfortunately.  His prices are better or equal to the best prices in the area. I recently bought a G34 from him for $595.  I think Shooters Supply wants $670 for the same pistol.

Ya, Bob is a hell of a guy, his prices are more then fair and he loves to just "talk shop".  Which is cool, because I'm the poor bastard window shopping far to often.  But I have bought an AK and XD from him and at the time I couldn't find them cheaper anywhere and I sure tried too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I am 20 and last time I went in there I was treated poorly, talked down to like I knew nothing. I took my $4,000 cash and went to keislers in indiana and was treated great. I am the proud owner of 13 rifles now including a barret m82 and i am happy yo say shooters will never get any of my business even though I live 5 min away.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I took my $4,000 cash and went to keislers  in indiana and was treated great. .

You are the only person I have ever heard say that.

Really, I am surprised I go there and the creek mainly to get my guns these days. Maybe I am just lucky I will keep going back untill I am treated differently.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I took my $4,000 cash and went to keislers  in indiana and was treated great. .

You are the only person I have ever heard say that.

Really, I am surprised I go there and the creek mainly to get my guns these days. Maybe I am just lucky I will keep going back untill I am treated differently.

Don't worry, they will shit on you soon enough..they always do.

Keisler's was were I went three years ago to purchase my first ever firearm.  I bought a RRA Entry Tactical for $900.  I must have been in the store five or six times in the three months prior to the purchase just trying to make a decision.  I didn't know anything and they treated me that way, but it was a helpful and never made me feel stupid or anything.  I would go there anytime and give them my business again, I never had a bad experience there since(haven't been staying on this side of the river as of late though).  Only thing I can say is that I wish he would have tried to talk me into getting the chrome lined barrel, Just my $ .02.

Well I happened to be in St. Mathews with 45 min. to kill so I stopped by there.  One of the younger guys shot the shit with me pretty much the whole time I was there and I had a very pleasurable visit there.  I DIDN'T buy anything but it is a very nice store and the gentlemen was very straight forward with me about prices on the internet and just gave me opinions on products regardless of cost(we went through thier whole damn AR accessories line-up).
I didn't even see Skip or look at any price tags so that was probably why I enjoyed myself so much.

BTW I'm really going to try not ripping on SS anymore, hopefully this will be my last time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#36]
I have never had a problem at Keisler's either, nice guys, but they are a bit overpriced in my opinion.  But they used to have great deals on bulk ammo years ago.

I've bought from Tilford's, Biff's, George's, Keisler's, Shooters Supply, Ray's, the Firearms Service Center, KCR, Oakwood, KY Imports, and a couple I can't remember over the years.  Tilford, Oakwood and KCR have always done right by me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#37]
height=8

I didn't even see Skip or look at any price tags so that was probably why I enjoyed myself so much.

I'm a younger guy, (24), and as a younger guy you do get talked down to often at gun stores (I wasn't at Bud's,Tilfords, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse, Keisler's or the other Lex store-ancient and Modern?), this was my experience at SS with Skip, no doubt the guy loves his job, but he does degrade anything thats not in stock (as some of the other SS guys do) best experience i had there was with a Vietnam Vet salesman, I had been in the market for an AR and looked at DPMS Ap4 .308 alot (been an AK man for a while).  Skip blasted it once,another young guy didn't care as long as long as I bought something, and the old Vet was a great experience.  Ended  up ordered a RRA Mid length A4 w a2 stock from Jensens (Colorado) $780 shipped and had a $15 transfer fee in Hillview. chose the .223 due to ammo prices (compared to .308) and 6.8 option. As far as prices, everybody's got to make a living, and I assume either theirs is a good one or their suffering and need to pay past due bills.  BTW I was an FFL for 2 years, and been a shooter (tactical, handgun and hunter) all my life...so don't appreciate being treated like a Boy Scout learning to shoot.  I stop in often, but have never spent a dime...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's just a brief comparison of SS prices:
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6842&dir=18|646

CCi Blazer 9mm 115g: 169 bucks without shipping from Widners

254 bucks including tax for the same item

I bet I could get the ammo shipped overnight for less then the 85 dollar difference.

Prep

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:03:22 AM EDT
[#39]
I remember the old days of the smaller store too, pretty good prices back then. Now, not so much. I also use to be able to get transfers there, now nope. Last time I was in there they had a tri-rail PS90 for $1700. Found the same gun online for $1100 and CW Shooters did the transfer for $15. I'm all for supporting local business, but when they are $100's higher than other places I just can't justify the higher prices. Having said that, the people there have always been friendly, though more friendly when I've been in uniform than when not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top