Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/22/2004 5:43:45 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Anyone know how the NC State laws read on shipping a long gun directly to another NC resident who is eligible to own firearms? I have read Federal Laws, and it is perfectly legal. Didn't see anything specifically pertaining to long guns in the State law sections I have read. Handguns are definitely out of the question.

Ship it, or not?

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:54:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 5:11:57 PM EDT by Stingray]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:09:12 PM EDT
I thought I would chime in and say, I dont know. How far of a drive would it be?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:22:40 PM EDT
200 mile round trip.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:37:54 PM EDT
My understanding is that it is legal to ship a gun to yourself, even across state lines. But, if it is being sent to anyone else, they must be either a gunsmith or an FFL. It may be worthwhile to meet the person half way, or perhaps wait until one or the other of you are headed in the general direction of the other. Even with my gas guzzlin F150 it'd be cheaper to drive it and save the cost of the transfer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:54:22 PM EDT
I agree wolffie. I would walk 200 miles round trip before knowingly break such a law.

It's just a shame NC State Laws aren't as easily understood as the federal version found here.

Federal Law reads as follows:

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:15:33 PM EDT
I'd suggest calling the state ATF office. I've asked them questions before, and they are pretty helpful. They actually helped me to get my county sherrif to issue me a pistol permit. (Sherrif wanted me to wait a year before I applied)

Also, keep in mind that the courier's policy may be different than State or Fed. law as well.
Top Top