Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/7/2010 3:27:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2010 3:29:53 PM EDT by topknot]
I just got my shaving soap order from Kell's Original.

Picked up a trial size of the Aloe/Arabian Spice, Aloe/Almond and Aloe/Sandlewood.

Tried the Aloe/Arabian Spice tonight - the kids helped and each got a dab of shave cream on their noses as per tradition.

Using my Boar Bristle brush and 1965 Schick safety razor, I got the best shave of my life. Finished with a splash of original Shulton's formula Old Spice after shave lotion.

Having been a M3 Power razor user for some time (with cheap gel foam shaving cream), I had no idea what a great shave was.

Go back to the classics guys.

Oh, and Kell's had excellent communications, shipped promptly and their product is great. I also like supporting a fellow ARFCOMer and Missouri HTF member.

ETA: The catalyst for this was here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=974504
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:13:30 PM EDT
I agree best shave i've ever gotten. I've been working a beard lately but i won't ever go back to modern razors.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:42:57 PM EDT
Nice collection, Alan. Do I see a couple of GEM single edges in there?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:06:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 4:07:11 AM EDT by OpusXKC]
Originally Posted By AlanP:
I agree best shave i've ever gotten. I've been working a beard lately but i won't ever go back to modern razors.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/BenReilly599/IMG_0016.jpg

A safety razor, badger hair brush, and a good cream or soap is the best shave around. I highly recommend it. The learning curve is not very steep and the results are much better.

Side note –– How do you like that Stahly "live blade"? I've been thinking about getting one, as they seem interesting.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:12:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:46:27 AM EDT
Wet shaving is the best form of shaving. But come on guys, get a straight! I've been shaving with a stright pretty much exclusevely for two years. Safety's with WIlkinson Swords is nice, but a finely honed straight is the best shave you can get.

And that's Kel's Original in my shavee bowl. Amber.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:36:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By toothlesrooster:
Wet shaving is the best form of shaving. But come on guys, get a straight! I've been shaving with a stright pretty much exclusevely for two years. Safety's with WIlkinson Swords is nice, but a finely honed straight is the best shave you can get.

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff352/toothlesrooster/DSC_0865-web.jpg

Do you like using the oil first? I got some one of those starter kits for christmas and love the shaving cream\brush and the after lotion but the oil I cant seem to figure out. It doesnt seem to help and only clogs up my razor like mad.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:12:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:09:02 PM EDT
My Gosh!

What amazing things will we learn next on his wonderbar site?

Keep them goodies, secrets, and llittle known gems a'coming!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:40:59 PM EDT
SILENCE BEARDLESS ONES!!!!

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:42:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rob_xiix:

Do you like using the oil first? I got some one of those starter kits for christmas and love the shaving cream\brush and the after lotion but the oil I cant seem to figure out. It doesnt seem to help and only clogs up my razor like mad.

Well, it works much better if you're using a straight. I have pretty stiff whiskers and it, along with a hot shower and the shave soap helps soften my beard. It's not the end-all, but it does help for me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:44:37 PM EDT

My gal says "No kisses as long as you look like Captain Caveman". Before her, I wore a beard for years. That said, you'd enjoy a nice shave with a keen straight razor. Even if it's just to trim you up and make you look respectable.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:51:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 4:52:00 PM EDT by AFSOC]

My gal says "No kisses as long as you look like Captain Caveman". Before her, I wore a beard for years. That said, you'd enjoy a nice shave with a keen straight razor. Even if it's just to trim you up and make you look respectable.

UNPOSSIBLE!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:10:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By topknot:
Nice collection, Alan. Do I see a couple of GEM single edges in there?

There are infact a few GEMs there. I split an order of blades from Ted Pella with a guy over on badger and blade a few months back, and they are awesome. I actually prefer using the gem's to the DE's. My absolute favorite is the silver open comb GEM. I'm not sure why but that thing just shave perfect for me.

I also have several Shick injectors that will put a mean shave on if your in a hurry.

Originally Posted By OpusXKC:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/BenReilly599/IMG_0016.jpg

A safety razor, badger hair brush, and a good cream or soap is the best shave around. I highly recommend it. The learning curve is not very steep and the results are much better.

Side note –– How do you like that Stahly "live blade"? I've been thinking about getting one, as they seem interesting.

I like the Stahly. As you can see the single edges are my favorite, but the stahly is nice to. I actually am quite fond of the large handle and the vibrating is a really unique feature. I bought that one for $15 off fleabay, and it's by far worth the money.

Also, in the shower before my shaves, i have some 100% olive oil soap from kiss my face that really seems to soften the hair up quite nicely.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:32:00 PM EDT

Agreed. Straight Edge. Almost a lost art.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:41:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 1911smith:

I really want to try a straight. I pickedu p a few straights on fleabay and at some antique stores and "restored" them somewhat. But i don't have the skills nor the tools to hone them to shaving sharp. I think i'm going to send one of them off maybe and get it sharpened.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:03:15 AM EDT

I really want to try a straight. I pickedu p a few straights on fleabay and at some antique stores and "restored" them somewhat. But i don't have the skills nor the tools to hone them to shaving sharp. I think i'm going to send one of them off maybe and get it sharpened.

What part of the state are you in? I hone all of my blades. Maybe I can help you out there. It really depends on the profile of the blade and what kind of shape it's in.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:26:06 PM EDT

What part of the state are you in? I hone all of my blades. Maybe I can help you out there. It really depends on the profile of the blade and what kind of shape it's in.

The good ole bootheel. I've got several that would be worth restoring. Here's a dubl duck
Start

Finish?

I have a few others that i'm "working" on as well. And by working i mean i started sanding and got side tracked.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:07:57 PM EDT

The good ole bootheel. I've got several that would be worth restoring. Here's a dubl duck
Start
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/BenReilly599/IMGP3422.jpg
Finish?
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/BenReilly599/IMGP3457.jpg
I have a few others that i'm "working" on as well. And by working i mean i started sanding and got side tracked.

Nice DD. Hopefuly the spine will clean up nice. I shave with a Aevos High Class hollow ground spike (Solingen Steel) and a John Clarke and Son hollow ground rounded heel (Shefield Steel). I curently have a J.Wostenholm and Sons EBRO wedge I'm restoring. It's been quite a chore and it won't be perfect, but for a blade that's at least 147 years old (Wostenholm closed up in 1867) I'll be happy if I can get a shaveable edge on it and I don't want to get rid of all of it's character. I also have a Torrey "The Artist" that I'm almost finished with and a cool lookin' Clauss that may be done soon enough.

If you need restoration tips and resources stop by straightrazorplace.com. Those guys are the ARFcom of straight razors!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:47:22 PM EDT

Nice DD. Hopefuly the spine will clean up nice. I shave with a Aevos High Class hollow ground spike (Solingen Steel) and a John Clarke and Son hollow ground rounded heel (Shefield Steel). I curently have a J.Wostenholm and Sons EBRO wedge I'm restoring. It's been quite a chore and it won't be perfect, but for a blade that's at least 147 years old (Wostenholm closed up in 1867) I'll be happy if I can get a shaveable edge on it and I don't want to get rid of all of it's character. I also have a Torrey "The Artist" that I'm almost finished with and a cool lookin' Clauss that may be done soon enough.

If you need restoration tips and resources stop by straightrazorplace.com. Those guys are the ARFcom of straight razors!

Ya, i frequent SRP and BadgerandBlade. As far as the spine, it had a gold coloring to it. One side was fine but the other had rust and whenenver i removed the rust it had taken the finish off so the gold spine isn't going to be save able. Ither way whenever i get back around to working on it i think i'm going to send it out and have it honed so i can give it a go.
Top Top