Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 7:04:03 PM EDT
Wifey and I are relaxing on the porch....Sheriff's car goes wizzing by with sirens blazing...Didn't think much of it, somewhat unusual, but not unheard of...

5 minutes later along comes another one...Ok, there's his backup (long and narrow rural county, it takes awhile to move around)...5 minutes after that, a 3rd one goes past.  Must have been doing 80+ in this 45mph stretch of road...He went by so fast I couldn't even read the wording on the car.  

Now I start to hear sirens approaching from other directions (we live about two miles from two other counties, so I figure help is on the way from them)...Time to hop in the car and see what's going down.  About a mile down the road we come across the impromptu cop convention.  They didn't look like they were in a talking mood, so we just slowed down to take a look.  

It appeared they had the swap surrounded and well under control.  Super Blinged out AR15s and everything!  Finally going after those overly agressive mosquitoes!

After we get home I start hearing them yapping on bull horn or something, but to far away to hear what was being said.  Now a helicopter has made several passes in the last half hour.

So I'll just be sitting out here on the porch with a good friend close by for awhile.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a scanner?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
It's contagious, 8 or more emergency vehicles just pulled into my neighbors place and there is a helicoptor hovering over their field right now.  I think there is a fire there.  I'm gonna go investigate.

Pic of the helicopter, it didnt turn out very well.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone broke out of the klink?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess there was an accident and someone fled on foot into a field.  They're still flying around trying to find them.  I think I'll stay up for a while.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do you have a scanner?

No, no scanner.  Wife thinks we should get one.  But I know absolutely nothing about them, so I wouldn't know what to or what not to get.

I would have thought a lot of police radios would be digital and have their transmissions encrypted by now.  Apparently not?

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Where do you two live at?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where do you two live at?

It was two different events.  I live in Kingston.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Most of the metro area is up on the new APCO 25 system so make sure you know what you want to listen to before you buy. Most scanners will be useless for police and fire within a year or so. Currently the only scanners I know about that work with the new system are the Uniden BC296, BC796 or the new BC396 (not sure about how stable the new 396 is yet).  Radio shack has the PRO96. If you decide to go with one IM me and I will help you find files to load frequencies to get started. They can be a bit complicated to get started with if you are not familiar with how the new systems work. Most of the homeland security drills and such are encrypted now and it is not legal to recieve them. There is still plenty to listen to and the new ones can still recieve everything on the old systems. I always have one on me at home or in the car, can't stand not knowing what is going on around me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's always a good idea to go and rubberneck when there's this kind of thing going on.  

Just think of your own safety.  What would have happened if you went down there and some guy started shooting at anything that moved, carjacked you, or any number of possible senerios, not to mention possibly getting in the way of the deputies who are trying to do their job?  You have no clue what is going on so why would you put yourself in that situation?

It's rather silly to possibly risk you and your wife's life just for curosity sake.  Just buy a scanner if you like to know what's going on.

It happened less than 150 yards from my house, the pictures were taking from my yard!  

Thanks for the great advice  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It's always a good idea to go and rubberneck when there's this kind of thing going on.  

Just think of your own safety.  What would have happened if you went down there and some guy started shooting at anything that moved, carjacked you, or any number of possible senerios, not to mention possibly getting in the way of the deputies who are trying to do their job?  You have no clue what is going on so why would you put yourself in that situation?

It's rather silly to possibly risk you and your wife's life just for curosity sake.  Just buy a scanner if you like to know what's going on.

Oh chill the F-out.  Most of the county cops where there along a major county road for the area.  If there had been any danger they would have had their cars blocking the road instead of pulled off to the side.  You weren't there, don't try to post game quarterback it.

I believe citizens have the right to watch and observe what the police are doing, as long as they aren't interferring with what is going on.  There are many departments that will allow citizen ride alongs for those that desire (I've been trying to arrange one with county for several weeks already).

It's good to know the community will be able to find you hiding under your bed should SHTF.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

As far as hiding under my bed.  Bite me.  I stated my opinion and just because I don't go and interfer in something that's not my business, doesn't mean that I have no back bone.

Since when is driving down a public street interfering in someone's business?  I'm sure future victims of crime will be glad to know that you won't be interfering in their business and instead will be safely under your bed while they are being victimized.

By your logic then, the military shouldn't allow imbedded reporters to join soldiers on the battlefield to document history in the making, and instead they should remain safely behind their anchor desk.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:54:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, this thread really went to shit in a hurry.

TAKE IT OUTSIDE, BOYS!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You're so far off I'm not even going to try and figure out where the ccw stuff came from.

Whatever, you crapped in my thread, I would consider that if I were you....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Appearently you can't express an opinion around here if it goes againts what some of you think.  Since I'm being accused of all sorts of thing here, I have withdrawn my statements as I'm sick of agrueing.

I stick with what I posted and will continue to believe that what I said is right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top