Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 6:29:34 AM EDT
I called DOJ to ask a question about serial numbers on homebuilt receivers, and they told me you need to contact your local law enforcement to have them validate your serial number.  Has anyone dealt with this type of situation or are you allowed to just stamp your own on your receiver?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Paul - Thanks for the reply.  You know I called DOJ and talked to them about this and they told me the stamped number I put on my receiver was not acceptable and I had to get a serial number with local law enforcement at which point the local law would contact DOJ giving the ok.  Seems a little strange to me.  How long ago did you contact DOJ?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I seem to remember something about if you build it yourself:
1) you can never sell it or transfer it or give it to anybody else ever and once you die it gets crushed
2) it doesn't need to have any s/n, but it'd be nice if it did so the LE and DOJ have a number to look at.
3) your s/n can be "bob's gun #1" or something

Has any of this changed since I last checked?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Kasuydo - That's what I thought as well.  This is why the DOJ information seemed kind of strange.  But it would not surprise me if rules were different in the state vs. the nation.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#5]
kmm16-

The DOJ advice about serial #s and local PDs is laughable. Law enforcement has no relationship to serial# issues other than checking them if something perceived as a possibly stolen gun comes their way. That DOJ verbal info is worth the paper it's written on and the desk clerk who told you of this must be smoking crack.  

Just add your own unique identification on receiver: "Bob Smith #1".  

However - again! - please steer clear of homebuilt AR/AK receivers.

While there are DOJ letters that indicate a homebuilt "off-list" AR/AK receiver would be legal, those are not binding opinion letters.

There is, I feel, some chance that - if it ever entered court - one of the 58 DAs could somehow say that Harrott protections don't apply to homebuilt receivers as that is so impracticable that the decision couldn't cover those. The receiver could thus possibly fall back under Kasler, leaving you in a world of hurt.  I don't know if this is a bigger or smaller risk but a gun attorney I spoke to nodded in agreement when I mentioned my feelings about this.  So only get off-list AR/AK  receivers that are in general commerce.  [By contrast, despite the warnings from DOJ about 58 DA opinions and off-list lowers, we have a very secure, clear, easy-to-read court decision protecting the legality of such items.]

And there is zero chance a homebuilt AR/AK receiver would be able to get listed as an AW by DOJ.

At this time there is no rational legal or financial reason to have a homebuilt receiver for AR/AK type guns.

Bill Wiese
San Jose
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I completed an 80% 1919 receiver and using stamps and a hammer I stamped the serial into the receiver and into the trunion. I haven't been hassled for it yet.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I completed an 80% 1919 receiver and using stamps and a hammer I stamped the serial into the receiver and into the trunion. I haven't been hassled for it yet.

Yes, that is fine.

The subject was (?) homebuilt off-list AR/AK receivers, not any other type.  

Your 1919A1  is of course not an AR/AK receiver and there no relevant Harrott issues, and apparently no by-feature AW issues due to your 1919A1's configuration.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, that is fine.

The subject was (?) homebuilt off-list AR/AK receivers, not any other type.  

Your 1919A1  is of course not an AR/AK receiver and there no relevant Harrott issues, and apparently no by-feature AW issues due to your 1919A1's configuration.

I know. I was just stating how I did my 80% build.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I seem to remember something about if you build it yourself:
1) you can never sell it or transfer it or give it to anybody else ever and once you die it gets crushed
2) it doesn't need to have any s/n, but it'd be nice if it did so the LE and DOJ have a number to look at.
3) your s/n can be "bob's gun #1" or something

Has any of this changed since I last checked?

Actually the BATF ruling on homebuilts, in reference to #1, only states the firearm is not being built for resale. It is not illegal to sell it, and there is no law stating a homebuilt may not become part of your estate upon you death. Many firearms out there have no serial nunber or mfg markings, and they are completely legit. Take a look at Gunbroker.com some time and look at all the pre 1960's rifles that have no serial number. Even the big mfgs like Marlin built many rifles with no serial number.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]
How about a 80% AR receiver that has the solid mag well? Basically just a single shot receiver.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How about a 80% AR receiver that has the solid mag well? Basically just a single shot receiver.

Tannery shop has Fab-10 style fixed mag 80% receivers. That or a single shot should never be a problem as it could never fall under SB23 (not able to accept a detachable magazine).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top