BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And lucky me I may end up moving back. My wife is kinda digging her heels about not moving to Florida.
View Quote

I can see not wanting to move to FL, but I can't see staying in Kolorado much longer.  Good luck with that, brother.

I should be gone already.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And lucky me I may end up moving back. My wife is kinda digging her heels about not moving to Florida.
View Quote
sometimes you gotta roll the hard six.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She’s a pretty stubborn Irish/German redhead. We shall see.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 3:02:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Until you stop to get gas, or do anything else outside of the vehicle

View Quote

The statute explicitly states that you're covered by it regardless of how many stops you make.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 3:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So what's to stop local jurisdictions from imposing laws that negate peaceable journey?  
View Quote

A local ordinance can't contravene a state statue. That's a completely different legal concept then making a law that is stricter than the state level version.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The statute explicitly states that you're covered by it regardless of how many stops you make.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until you stop to get gas, or do anything else outside of the vehicle

That’s great and all but what people living in those places? I can assure you this won’t just be a Denver/Boulder problem.  The bigger issue is their tactic of just chip chip chipping away of peoples God given rights. Their tactic is incrementalism and they just happen to experts at it

They won’t stop with just this. They’ll never stop.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Have any cities announced they are going to take advantage of this?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guarantee Boulder will pass something by the end of this year.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  They're already working on it.  LINK
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This law eliminated state preemption on all firearms laws?  I haven't read the law and based on the title of this thread I thought it was for CCW.  Makes sense that they repealed state preemption for everything.  That's worse than I thought.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

who lives in boulder anyway?
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, I'm living in an area that attracts a lot of those fruits and nuts due to lower cost.  They aspire to be the next Boulder so our town council and mayor pretty much walk lock step with Boulder instead of Greeley/Weld.  Hell, there was somebody on nextdoor complaining about a Cesna doing touch and goes at the airport......that has been there for the better part of 45 years while their home has been there maybe 4.  Between the citiots and the lefties there was a questions on our town survey asking about safe spaces and whether we wanted to join Boulder.  Wasn't anything like that when I moved here just a few years ago but they started developing every available square inch of land for new homes and apartments.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, I'm living in an area that attracts a lot of those fruits and nuts due to lower cost.  They aspire to be the next Boulder so our town council and mayor pretty much walk lock step with Boulder instead of Greeley/Weld.  Hell, there was somebody on nextdoor complaining about a Cesna doing touch and goes at the airport......that has been there for the better part of 45 years while their home has been there maybe 4.  Between the citiots and the lefties there was a questions on our town survey asking about safe spaces and whether we wanted to join Boulder.  Wasn't anything like that when I moved here just a few years ago but they started developing every available square inch of land for new homes and apartments.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was about to say that Boulder is AWESOME, except for all the Boulderites. You must be in Layfette or something. Lots of hair legged granola eaters there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Actually sounds like Erie
View Quote

Yep.  Nice little town until enough 'progressives' moved in to feed the aspirations of being another Boulder.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm concerned that it won't be safe to drive through CO on my way to TX.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A local ordinance can't contravene a state statue. That's a completely different legal concept then making a law that is stricter than the state level version.
View Quote

I'm not a lawyer or a legislator, so I don't know.  But why can't a local jurisdiction pass a law that negates peaceable journey?

Peaceable journey allows travelers who are passing through a local jurisdiction to have a state-legal gun or magazine in their car even if the local jurisdiction has a ban on that gun or magazine.  

So what's to stop the local jurisdiction from passing a law that says, "You can't have a banned gun or mag in your car even if you're just passing through."?  That's a local law that's stricter than state law, which is exactly what local jurisdictions are now allowed to do.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

WY plates?

should be fine.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

WY plates?

should be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WY plates?

should be fine.

Because NOBODY in WY owns any guns.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You’ll be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’ll be fine.

For now.  In 6 months to 12 months, who knows what insanity gets passed in Denver or the burbs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You’ll be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’ll be fine.

Why do you think the whackjobs in towns and cities in CO wouldn't pass a city law that says "No Reciprocity?"  Why do you think they wouldn't pass a law that bans having a semiauto or a standard capacity magazine in your vehicle?  Do you think the cops in those cities wouldn't enforce laws like that?  Do you think the courts will overturn those new local laws when they pass?

I'm pretty sure I will be fine driving through NE and KS to go around CO.  I will probably be fine driving down 385 because that if far from the front range and almost like being in  different country.

Fort Collins, Longmont, and the suburbs closer to Denver?  Not so sure about them.  The mayor in FTC doesn't seem like someone who would oppose any restriction on firearms.

The whole point of repealing state preemption is to create such a mess with different laws in every town that nobody will be willing to risk running afoul of some new law and ending up with their stuff confiscated and possibly end up in jail.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why do you think the whackjobs in towns and cities in CO wouldn't pass a city law that says "No Reciprocity?"  Why do you think they wouldn't pass a law that bans having a semiauto or a standard capacity magazine in your vehicle?  Do you think the cops in those cities wouldn't enforce laws like that?  Do you think the courts will overturn those new local laws when they pass?

I'm pretty sure I will be fine driving through NE and KS to go around CO.  I will probably be fine driving down 385 because that if far from the front range and almost like being in  different country.

Fort Collins, Longmont, and the suburbs closer to Denver?  Not so sure about them.  The mayor in FTC doesn't seem like someone who would oppose any restriction on firearms.

The whole point of repealing state preemption is to create such a mess with different laws in every town that nobody will be willing to risk running afoul of some new law and ending up with their stuff confiscated and possibly end up in jail.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’ll be fine.

I just feel like if you’re passing through and don’t give anyone a reason to search you you’ll be ok. That said take note of my location. I’m glad I got the fuck out of there.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

CO is conservative outside of the metro areas.

sheriff's deputies won't hassle you.

city 5-0 might.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You've hit the nail on the head.  This law has nothing to do with crime control, it's all about harassing gun owners and making gun ownership as inconvenient as possible.

By allowing local communities to set their own laws, the state will become a convoluted hodgepodge of jurisdictions with differing gun laws.  Gun owners, concealed carriers in particular, who plan to travel within the state will have a hard time keeping track of all those laws.  This convoluted mess will discourage people from carrying - which is the real point of this law.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

CO is conservative outside of the metro areas.

sheriff's deputies won't hassle you.

city 5-0 might.  
View Quote

I25 from FTC south to Denver is one big metro area.  Fortunately, there are alternatives to the east.  And I agree, when you get away from the cities CO and most other states are more conservative.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Here we go. Jefferson County Foothills Park & Recreation District is trying to pass a ban on CCW.

Colorado is about to become a nightmare state for gun owners.

Link
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Here we go. Jefferson County Foothills Park & Recreation District is trying to pass a ban on CCW.

Link
View Quote

What a fucking train wreck this is gonna be.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

That's the point.  

That is also why I'm worried about traveling through, let alone stopping for gas.  Ok for now, but give it a year or two and nobody will be able to keep track of what is illegal in every town and city.  One town will ban concealed carry, the next will ban standard capacity mags, the next will ban "assault weapons" by whatever definition they can make up.  Maybe the next town bans open carry on even number days and concealed carry on odd number days - I wouldn't put anything past the leftists.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Another thing to consider with this law... How long until online retailers stop shipping guns, ammo, magazines, etc. to CO because it's simply not practical for them to research and keep track of the local laws in every county, city, and town in the state?
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Another thing to consider with this law... How long until online retailers stop shipping guns, ammo, magazines, etc. to CO because it's simply not practical for them to research and keep track of the local laws in every county, city, and town in the state?
View Quote

That is another "benefit" of this nonsense as far as leftists are concerned.

Most of online stores won't ship mags to individuals to CO now because of the law.  You can still buy mags locally in most places but stores that ship usually list CO among the usual suspects where they won't ship mags.

Now, when cities start banning "assault weapons" and every city has a different definition then things will get interesting for FFLs.  You are probably right that companies will just refuse to ship anything that might be banned somewhere in CO.

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I was thinking about how IL and NY cases played into limiting carry yesterday.  Then this was on Complete Colorado today.

https://pagetwo.completecolorado.com/2021/07/19/scotus-case-may-thwart-local-concealed-carry-restrictions/
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was thinking about how IL and NY cases played into limiting carry yesterday.  Then this was on Complete Colorado today.

https://pagetwo.completecolorado.com/2021/07/19/scotus-case-may-thwart-local-concealed-carry-restrictions/
View Quote

I'm not a lawyer.  Is there anything that would prevent cities from banning magazines or "evil" features on firearms?  How about cities refusing to recognize reciprocity?
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm not a lawyer.  Is there anything that would prevent cities from banning magazines or "evil" features on firearms?  How about cities refusing to recognize reciprocity?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, we're in Clown World. Anything is possible.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Dude, we're in Clown World. Anything is possible.
View Quote

This.  The left knows that anything they put in place today will take years to make its way through the courts so it doesn't really matter if it is deemed unconstitutional or not.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jefferson county is about to ban concealed carry on park land.

The sheriff has already told them to go fuck themselves and he won’t enforce it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm not a lawyer or a legislator, so I don't know.  But why can't a local jurisdiction pass a law that negates peaceable journey?

Peaceable journey allows travelers who are passing through a local jurisdiction to have a state-legal gun or magazine in their car even if the local jurisdiction has a ban on that gun or magazine.  

So what's to stop the local jurisdiction from passing a law that says, "You can't have a banned gun or mag in your car even if you're just passing through."?  That's a local law that's stricter than state law, which is exactly what local jurisdictions are now allowed to do.
View Quote

That’s not a stricter law, it’s a law that contravenes state law. There’s a difference. You’re conflating legal concepts with colloquial usage.

State law makes it a crime to murder someone. Do you think a town could make a law that says it’s not a crime to murder someone?

It’s the way our legislative system is designed. Local municipalities only have the legislative power granted to them by the state, thus they can’t create laws that contradict the body that gave them that power.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be concerned about this law or that it doesn’t suck to live in a liberal part of the state but the only way to combat it is with facts. Going around telling people they’re going to be arrested if they stop to get gas in Boulder simply isn’t the reality and it only makes us look like uninformed nuts.

Trust me, I understand the giant pain in the ass it is to have to navigate gun laws in multiple jurisdictions. I grew up in RI where the quickest way to get somewhere was usually to go through MA. Neither of those states are particularly gun friendly so I made sure I knew the respective versions of peaceable journey each had inside and out. The fact is, even extremely anti-gun states like CA, NY, NJ and CT have some form of peaceable journey either enshrined in the state constitution or on the books in the form of statute of case law. Are some more restrictive than others? Sure but if a place like CA or NY recognizes how unpopular getting rid of it would be than CO isn’t going to take the lead on it. The state is still purple and elections are decided by 3-5% of the population. Polis would find out how red some of those rural democrats can be real quick if he starts telling them they’re going to be arrested for coming to the big city and forgetting to take their ranch gun out of the pickup.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That’s not a stricter law, it’s a law that contravenes state law. There’s a difference. You’re conflating legal concepts with colloquial usage.

State law makes it a crime to murder someone. Do you think a town could make a law that says it’s not a crime to murder someone?

It’s the way our legislative system is designed. Local municipalities only have the legislative power granted to them by the state, thus they can’t create laws that contradict the body that gave them that power.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be concerned about this law or that it doesn’t suck to live in a liberal part of the state but the only way to combat it is with facts. Going around telling people they’re going to be arrested if they stop to get gas in Boulder simply isn’t the reality and it only makes us look like uninformed nuts.

Trust me, I understand the giant pain in the ass it is to have to navigate gun laws in multiple jurisdictions. I grew up in RI where the quickest way to get somewhere was usually to go through MA. Neither of those states are particularly gun friendly so I made sure I knew the respective versions of peaceable journey each had inside and out. The fact is, even extremely anti-gun states like CA, NY, NJ and CT have some form of peaceable journey either enshrined in the state constitution or on the books in the form of statute of case law. Are some more restrictive than others? Sure but if a place like CA or NY recognizes how unpopular getting rid of it would be than CO isn’t going to take the lead on it. The state is still purple and elections are decided by 3-5% of the population. Polis would find out how red some of those rural democrats can be real quick if he starts telling them they’re going to be arrested for coming to the big city and forgetting to take their ranch gun out of the pickup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long until say Boulder passes a law that magazines with more than 1 round are illegal?  

This state has not been "purple" since the mail-in ballot took effect, and will never be purple again.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

First of all, your example about a town legalizing murder is an example of something that's less strict than state law.  We're talking about towns making laws that are more strict than state law.  

Secondly, someone getting arrested at a gas station in Boulder (or in some other liberal jurisdiction with stricter gun laws) is not out of the question.  

Peaceable journey allows out of town travelers to have a state legal gun or magazine in their car as they travel through a jurisdiction with stricter gun laws.  But, people with carry permits tend to carry on their person - that's the point of having a permit.  So it is entirely possible a traveler with a carry permit might exit his car while carrying at a gas station, or repair shop, or restaurant, or souvenir shop, or whatever and unknowingly run afoul of a local gun law in a stricter jurisdiction.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2021 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

First of all, your example about a town legalizing murder is an example of something that's less strict than state law.  We're talking about towns making laws that are more strict than state law.  

Secondly, someone getting arrested at a gas station in Boulder (or in some other liberal jurisdiction with stricter gun laws) is not out of the question.  

Peaceable journey allows out of town travelers to have a state legal gun or magazine in their car as they travel through a jurisdiction with stricter gun laws.  But, people with carry permits tend to carry on their person - that's the point of having a permit.  So it is entirely possible a traveler with a carry permit might exit his car while carrying at a gas station, or repair shop, or restaurant, or souvenir shop, or whatever and unknowingly run afoul of a local gun law in a stricter jurisdiction.  

View Quote

sounds like you need to not get out of the boat whilst in boulder.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow, this saddens me. A big reason why I got my CCW was because I have a daughter (now 3) who I would like to protect. I feel like I can't even go to King Soopers without worrying what could happen to her. I don't want to take anyone else's life, but I don't belive in disregard for my family's life.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#42]
I sent an email. I usually don't like getting involved in stuff like this, but this is too much. A big reason why I got my CCW was because I have a daughter (now 3) who I would like to protect. I feel like I can't even go to King Soopers without worrying what could happen to her. I don't want to take anyone else's life, but I don't belive in disregard for my family's life. I'm fine with doing background checks until they are through, I don't want firearms in the wrong hands. But I want to be able to protect my daughter.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#43]
I posted a question to one of the candidates running for sheriff of Jefferson county as how she would handle the parks ban.

Here is how she replied. From Regina Marinelli

Russ, thank you for your question.  You asked about my thoughts reference this article.   I will give you my thoughts after having read the Act signed on June 19th, by Governor Polis.  In 18-12-214(1)(c), it clearly states that if Foothills Parks and Recreation District were to ban concealed firearms from their properties, they may "only impose a civil penalty for a violation and require the person to leave the premises".   With this stated in the law, it would be a civil situation, thus action would have to be taken through the courts, not through law enforcement.   Technically, a person caught carrying a concealed weapon upon their premises would still, by statute, be acting in a legal manner; therefore, this would not be a criminal situation by the Act that was signed.  Unfortunately, I think this new addition will be very confusing to the citizens trying to obey the laws and protect themselves.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I posted a question to one of the candidates running for sheriff of Jefferson county as how she would handle the parks ban.

Here is how she replied. From Regina Marinelli

Russ, thank you for your question.  You asked about my thoughts reference this article.   I will give you my thoughts after having read the Act signed on June 19th, by Governor Polis.  In 18-12-214(1)(c), it clearly states that if Foothills Parks and Recreation District were to ban concealed firearms from their properties, they may "only impose a civil penalty for a violation and require the person to leave the premises".   With this stated in the law, it would be a civil situation, thus action would have to be taken through the courts, not through law enforcement.   Technically, a person caught carrying a concealed weapon upon their premises would still, by statute, be acting in a legal manner; therefore, this would not be a criminal situation by the Act that was signed.  Unfortunately, I think this new addition will be very confusing to the citizens trying to obey the laws and protect themselves.
View Quote

Fence sitter.

No shits given for 2a or common sense
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top