Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 10:21:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 10:24:07 AM EDT by rmuser]
Will it pass? I'm doubtful. But if it does, it would make a lot of guns become NFA items. No NFA in Illinois.

Link to full version: http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve/?File_id=10993387-5d4d-4680-a872-ac8ca4359119

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:

120 specifically-named firearms

Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic

Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:

Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test

Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test

Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:

Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment

Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and

Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

Background check of owner and any transferee;

Type and serial number of the firearm;

Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;

Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and

Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:11:37 AM EDT
Wow..."cuntstein" is really swinging for the fences. Soooo....every turkey gun becomes an assault weapon because of the pistol grip?? OR does a "One Characteristic" test probably read "more than one of the following."?
So we could still build AR's with fixed stocks, and then pinned FH or post ban type barrels...what a freaking circus.

And seriously??? register all grandfathered items under NFA..."dear ATF here are 30 finger print cards...one for each of my 30rd mags". Enjoy the MOUNTAIN of paperwork this will incur ATF.

DC
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:03:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By rmuser:
Will it pass? I'm doubtful. But if it does, it would make a lot of guns become NFA items. No NFA in Illinois.

Your understanding of IL law is incomplete. IL law does not say "no NFA weapons allowed." It bans certain
types of weapons which also happen to require NFA registration.

If AR's etc were added to NFA it would not have the least affect on their legality under current IL law.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:27:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:25:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By makintrax73:
Originally Posted By rmuser:
Your understanding of IL law is incomplete. IL law does not say "no NFA weapons allowed." It bans certain
types of weapons which also happen to require NFA registration.

If AR's etc were added to NFA it would not have the least affect on their legality under current IL law.

It is my understanding that AOWs are legal in IL and SBRs seem to be legal now as well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:27:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FileForge:
So we could still build AR's with fixed stocks, and then pinned FH or post ban type barrels...what a freaking circus.

And seriously??? register all grandfathered items under NFA..."dear ATF here are 30 finger print cards...one for each of my 30rd mags". Enjoy the MOUNTAIN of paperwork this will incur ATF.

DC

Folks, please take a deep breath and allow some time to read and process the summary of the bill.

1) The bill summary states that flash suppressors and bayonet lugs are not counted as evil features.
2) Magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds will not have to be registered under the NFA - they will instead be completely banned - no grandfathering.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:35:58 AM EDT
How about a 200.00 tax on each registered item?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:48:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hotpig:
How about a 200.00 tax on each registered item?

That I'm not clear and believe it could be done one of four ways:

1) No tax on grandfathering firearms - I suspect this is unlikely because why would "they" miss a chance to make some money.
2) $5 tax/firearm - This the tax for AOWs. Yes, semi-autos by definition are not AOWs but AOWs are not machine guns or DDs either.
3) $200 tax/firearm - This is the tax for machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, and DDs. Semi-autos with barrels > 16" are not machine guns or DDs but that doesn't mean they won't try to milk this for all it's worth.
4) Some new arbitrary tax amount. Reclassifying semi-autos with X features under the NFA is a whole new territory so they might just pull a random number between $5 and $200 out of their asses.

Whatever tax they make seek to impose on us, consider this. There are approximately 300 million firearms in civilian hands. If only 15% of those are "evil" semi-autos, a $100 tax would generate $4.5 billion in tax revenue. In the big picture of the federal budget, that's not really a lot but it's nothing to sneeze at either.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:19:08 PM EDT
ATF is going to have to be funded. They have just about been budget cut out of existence. I even had to supply my own file folder for personnel records when I started on one of their multi agency task forces.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:19:43 PM EDT
I'll tell you what it means, the longer that the bill stays alive, the longer the store shelves of ammo and guns will be empty. There will be people waving cash and credit cards in the faces of the store owners before they have a chance to unpack the shipping pallets.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:40:27 PM EDT

ATF is going to have to be funded. They have just about been budget cut out of existence. I even had to supply my own file folder for personnel records when I started on one of their multi agency task forces.
That's included in the bill:
- Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.

As to what orifice they will pull that money out of, one can only guess.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:15:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Matt_B:

That's included in the bill:
- Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.

As to what orifice they will pull that money out of, one can only guess.

Who's going to fund the local PDs for the fingerprinting? Or do you think every town will have an ATF office spring up?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:46:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2012 8:47:27 PM EDT by air2ground]
We are the government, so we will in one way or another fund it if it passes and survives scotus.
Top Top