Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2010 9:48:47 AM EDT
A friend of mine here in NY wants to buy one of my AR15 lowers.  What's the drill?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#1]
either meet him and hand it off...or simply mail it to his house, it counts as being a face to face transaction also.

i usually get a copy of the persons drivers license, though its not required by state law.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
either meet him and hand it off...or simply mail it to his house, it counts as being a face to face transaction also.

i usually get a copy of the persons drivers license, though its not required by state law.

+1
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, that's easy enough.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok, that's easy enough.

Thanks guys.

If you do decide to ship it, ship it via USPS, and bring with you a print-out of the ATF approval of it. Prepare to fight with the clerk and be frustrated for at least a half hour.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, that's easy enough.

Thanks guys.

If you do decide to ship it, ship it via USPS, and bring with you a print-out of the ATF approval of it. Prepare to fight with the clerk and be frustrated for at least a half hour.

or just dont tell them whats in the box

they dont need to know
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate to be a Debby Downer here but AFAIK you can only use USPS to ship a rifle or shotgun. If you're shipping a stripped lower use a common carrier (UPS, FedEx etc.). You are also required to notify the shipper that the package contains a firearm as well as requiring an adult signature required for delivery.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hate to be a Debby Downer here but AFAIK you can only use USPS to ship a rifle or shotgun. If you're shipping a stripped lower use a common carrier (UPS, FedEx etc.). You are also required to notify the shipper that the package contains a firearm as well as requiring an adult signiture required for delivery.

So you can ship a fully functional rifle or shotgun via USPS but the stripped lower has to be sent via CC and it requires an adult signature?  That seems a little odd.  I have shipped built lowers before via USPS with no issue whatsoever
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#8]
A stripped lower is a firearm and but does not meet the legal definition of a either a rifle or shotgun. Although it's always been defined this way the ATF has made this clear with the revised 4473. AFAIK as an  unlicensed person you can only use the USPS to ship a legal length rifle or shotgun.

The USPS also reserves the right to open a parcel to establish that the gun is unloaded. Unless you give notice that the package contains a gun how could you comply with this regulation?

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

d. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and 18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
As a buyer I usually have the seller write out a simple bill of sale for me acknowledging that I bought the whatever from him for a certain price and have them sign it. After all the paperwork is the most important thing!
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, that's easy enough.

Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, that's easy enough.

Thanks guys.

This will be a face to face deal...apparently no forms required...what's with the frown?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#12]
this thread answered my questions

I am fucking shocked FTF transactions are legal in NY
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, that's easy enough.

Thanks guys.

This will be a face to face deal...apparently no forms required...what's with the frown?

I posted something, thought better of it and retracted it.

Bushmaster1984

We don't speak of this too loud; if the ASSembly ever gets wind we'll be fucked out of that too.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, that's easy enough.

Thanks guys.

I posted something, thought better of it and retracted it.

Bushmaster1984

We don't speak of this too loud; if the ASSembly ever gets wind we'll be fucked out of that too.

I can hear the mating call of the blue feathered Brady Bird now "LOOOOOP HOLE""LOOOOOOP HOLE"  

God I hate our politicians
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
this thread answered my questions

Got to love the system!! The honest people get shat on, while the others get away with it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top