Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/6/2003 8:19:37 PM EDT
Depending on a job interview next week, I have the potential to move to the Tucson area.

I'm hoping some locals can help me out with the following
1) What are the CCW requirements? I'm a certified NRA instructor in Pistol and have a current CCW in VA. Would I need anything additional to get set up in AZ?
2) Any good ranges in Tucson area?
3) Any recommendation on what part(s) Tucson to consider for purchasing a home? I had preliminary information on a community named Rivergate if that is corrrect.
4) What's the political environment of Tucson like?
5) Are there any wierd regulations that a new resident should be aware of that they may not now.
6) Any other general information you care to share about the Tucson or Arizona. Any gang activity?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:05:06 AM EDT
CCW requires:

16 hours of class
Passing a background check
Some cash

Best range near Tucson (IMHO) is the Tucson Rifle Club (see RANGES) tacked above. There are two indoor ranges, Jensen's on the West side, and one who's name escapes me on the East side. There's a range on the far East side I haven't been to.

Best area in Tucson seems to be the rapidly growing Northwest, though pretty much any area is good with the exception of the South side

Tucson, politically, is unfortunately pretty liberal, which I blame on the large percentage of 1st-generation children of Mexican immigrants who occupy both elected and hired positions in government and see government as a benevolent parent. With deep pockets.

Weird regulations? Well, OPEN CARRY is legal and requires no permit! If you're into Class III the local Sherrif signs the Form 4's with no problems.

Gang activity is largely restricted to the South Side. Pay is, compared to the rest of the nation, low, but then so is the cost of living.

Who's interveiwing?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:28:39 PM EDT
it might be helpful to mention company.
you might have a board member or two that work there.

this mostly applies to #5 i guess:
i quickly thought of the vlt (vehicle license tax. (newer vehicles cost a bunch to register)
the link has lots of information, besides vlt.
www.revenue.state.az.us/azmove.htm

nra thing may help, check out
www.dps.state.az.us/ccw/obtpermit.asp
also, az recently started (re)thinking ccw reciprocity.
looks like va missed, but maybe you have one of the others?
www.dps.state.az.us/ccw/recip.asp

ditto on kbaker info

hope this helped

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:20:53 AM EDT
KBaker and uwp, Thank you for the excellent information!

The company I am looking to join is Intuit Inc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:12:06 AM EDT
Ah, Intuit is near the airport, like my company. I moved here in March and love it. Haven't been to the three points range yet, I do go to the Desert Trails range on Valencia. It is on the way home from work, has a few pistol ranges (20 yards or so) and one 100 yard rifle range.

We bought our house on the east side. Northwest is nice, but the homes start getting pricey for what you get the closer you get to the catalina's.

Great little town.

Geoff
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:48:41 PM EDT
I'm a VA transplant too. Originally from Lynchburg area. Gun laws here are very similar to VA except no one handgun a month laws. Also why VA accepts AZ CCW. No getting around the 16 hour class the $50 fee to the state plus your class cost (usually $75 to $120). Three points is about 30 miles outside of town. Not a bad drive its mostly 65 mph and 1 stop light. Good range falities for rifle, target pistol, and rimfire. Also has a 1000 yard range and membership is cheap $35. For normal pistol I'd go indoor and grab a membership usually $75 to $100 depends if you go with Jenson's or Marksman's. With the summer heat an indoor range is almost a must or you find you have to shoot with gloves around noon. A few outdoor areas around to shoot at also. Haven't shot at desert trails yet. Also Tucson has a good amount of reloading suppliers. Not my side of town, just visited the range looks good for pistol. For housing a lot of areas each offering different options. One of Tucsons problems is the roads. No really good east west routes. A lot of east west roads dead end and resume again later. Only one expressway and its good for people going from east side to downtown area. Good part about town is each section of town is rather self supporting no need to go crosstown to get to a certain store.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:29:41 AM EDT
I just moved from CA this year. Locals complain about traffic, but compared to San Diego County, I say....what traffic???

Desert trails is the range on Valencia. There is a lot of very affordable new and used houses around, 160 to 180K will get you around 2000 square feet in a decent neighborhood.

Three points is a great range with steel out to 500M and a 1000M range, IPSC and SASS facilities, along with a pistol silhouette range and a .22 range.

CCW will eat up one weekend and renewals are only one day. I think around $75.

I was a bit worried about the heat, but after the summer, it wasn't bad at all. I rode my Hog to work every day.

Roper Scientific, where I work, is looking for techs, a service manager, and a software engineer. Get your resume in quick if this is your line of work and email me if you need an email address to blast in papers. We just picked up a person from Intuit, I think, a EE with XP experience.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:16:10 PM EDT
Stay away from Jensens. Their range and their prices suck as does their customer service. Desert Trails and Tucson rifle club are the way to go. Marksman is a nice range if you don't mind cigarette smoke. I dow hich is why I only went there once.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:46:20 AM EDT
north of tucson about 30 mins is the town of catalina and there is a range called pima pistol club. don't let the name for you though, they have a make shift 200 yard and a real nice 100 yard set up. at least they have targets to shoot at unlike desert trails. they really need to get their act together out there.
Top Top