Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2006 5:22:39 PM EDT
So today I went to the range to work on NSR (non standard response) drills. pretty basic stuff; 4-6 rounds on target, scan for additional targets, check you six, visually check ejection port for unnoticed stoppage, close ejection port cover, safe weapon, go to low ready...repeat 20,000 times until its muscle memory.

While I'm doing this the guy in the lane next to me is shooting a beretta or taurus handgun at a target he set all of about 3' down range. his groups are about 36" at thsat range and because the target is so close he is shooting into the ground instead of the backstop.

The guys next to me on the other side are trying their best to stuff 7.62x54R ammo into an SKS with a gigantic muzzle brake.

After i had been there awhile this outlaw biker looking dude says to his shooting buddy, "You see how that guy keeps looking over his shoulders...he must be paranoid about people seeing him shoot that."  So the other guy says, "it must be those illegal 30 round mags."  Yes amplified electronic hearing protection is worth the cost of admission just for the stupid shit your hear other people on the firing line say.

After awhile the guy with the berretta had finished killing the ground right in front of the firing line and broke out his OLL.  It was the kind with the polymer lower and the entire fixed mag sits inside the mag well with no portion exposed.  He had a nice 16" HBAR upper on it and a ACOG.  Nice looking upper. Every time he would shoot it the bolt would expectedly lock back once the mag was empty.  He would then push the rear takedown pin and try to shotgun the action with the bolt still locked to the rear, including banging in on the shooting bench . Amazingly the banging it on the bench routine actually made the bcg go forward.  I guess having the rear takedown pin removed and the inertia of the "bang and bend" technique resulted in the bolt catch moving enough to release the bolt. Of course one the bolt moved forward, with the rear pivot pin pulled and the substantial weight of the shooter trying to break the rifle in half on the front edge of the bench, the result was the flash supressor slamming into the top of the shooting bench..the shooters left hand slipping off the upper and him falling on top of the rifle on the bench.  Aberdeen Proving Ground couldnt come up with a better stress test of the lower and I was amazed he didnt rip the front pivot pin right out of the lower.      
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You should have said "I'm detective John Kimbal. I'm a cop you idiot!" and gone back to what you were doing.

Seriously though, some people at public ranges scare me, and that's on the reasons I prefer getting a group of guys together and reserving a tac at Burro when I want to go shooting.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Havnt been to a range in probably 10 years. Sounds like nothing has changed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Havnt been to a range in probably 10 years. Sounds like nothing has changed.

I go at least once a week,  it hasn't.

I saw a kid with an OLL that had a side cocking upper on it.  He notified me it was, "The Shit."  I didn't bother showing him the PRI latch or my buddie's Badger Ordance latch.  Could've saved the kid a few hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Were are these folks outside of the gun boards finding out about OLL's? Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#6]
It's called people trying to impress other people. It's cool to be gangster so eventually enough people try to impress the wrong people that the wrong people go out and buy them, then do whatever they want with them because they don't care.

ETA: It could also be that the people with illegal guns are bringing them out now because they feel safer knowing more people will have similar weapons.

Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Were are these folks outside of the gun boards finding out about OLL's? Am I missing something here?

You assume they are not from the gun boards.

OLL screams calguns to me. Like this guy today. took the time to buy and build an OLL with a quality top half. built in in a way that its legal under the current definitions. he got that info someplace.  He just never took the time to learn the basic operation of an AR pattern rifle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So today I went to the range to work on NSR (non standard response) drills. pretty basic stuff; 4-6 rounds on target, scan for additional targets, check you six, visually check ejection port for unnoticed stoppage, close ejection port cover, safe weapon, go to low ready...repeat 20,000 times until its muscle memory.

While I'm doing this the guy in the lane next to me is shooting a beretta or taurus handgun at a target he set all of about 3' down range. his groups are about 36" at thsat range and because the target is so close he is shooting into the ground instead of the backstop.

The guys next to me on the other side are trying their best to stuff 7.62x54R ammo into an SKS with a gigantic muzzle brake.

After i had been there awhile this outlaw biker looking dude says to his shooting buddy, "You see how that guy keeps looking over his shoulders...he must be paranoid about people seeing him shoot that."  So the other guy says, "it must be those illegal 30 round mags."  Yes amplified electronic hearing protection is worth the cost of admission just for the stupid shit your hear other people on the firing line say.

After awhile the guy with the berretta had finished killing the ground right in front of the firing line and broke out his OLL.  It was the kind with the polymer lower and the entire fixed mag sits inside the mag well with no portion exposed.  He had a nice 16" HBAR upper on it and a ACOG.  Nice looking upper. Every time he would shoot it the bolt would expectedly lock back once the mag was empty.  He would then push the rear takedown pin and try to shotgun the action with the bolt still locked to the rear, including banging in on the shooting bench . Amazingly the banging it on the bench routine actually made the bcg go forward.  I guess having the rear takedown pin removed and the inertia of the "bang and bend" technique resulted in the bolt catch moving enough to release the bolt. Of course one the bolt moved forward, with the rear pivot pin pulled and the substantial weight of the shooter trying to break the rifle in half on the front edge of the bench, the result was the flash supressor slamming into the top of the shooting bench..the shooters left hand slipping off the upper and him falling on top of the rifle on the bench.  Aberdeen Proving Ground couldnt come up with a better stress test of the lower and I was amazed he didnt rip the front pivot pin right out of the lower.      

Sounds like one of the Yugoslav SKS's with integral grenade launcher.

That model SKS is illegal in CA since the launcher is classified as a Destructive Device.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sounds like one of the Yugoslav SKS's with integral grenade launcher.

That model SKS is illegal in CA since the launcher is classified as a Destructive Device.

Yeah, but there are California legal M59/66s here. They still look the same, the launcher is just modified, like with a tube welded over it to prevent anything from being attached to it. Turner's sells them.

I am sure the guy figured "7.62, that's what I need..." and with the shortage of 7.62x39 he wouldn't even see the right caliber. It's hard to blame them, I didn't know if there was a difference between .45 Auto and .45 ACP when I bought my first handgun. Of course I had just got done reading about the .45 GAP so I was a bit leery of getting any type of ammo that wasn't specifically marked on my gun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Man, I'm so happy I get to go to a police range about once every other weekend...
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 1:37:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Made me laugh
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I see stupid stuff all the time like this....I started going to the orange county sherriffs rang now and dont see as much
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Last weekend I get dragged along to the local public range with my FIL.  I bring along my Browning Buckmark Field with the 10" barrel and Aimpoint 5000 and decide to plink at the 25 yard benches (they don't have 50, just 25 and 100).

I set up my little bullseye target at cease fire and then proceed to fire one magazine after shooting resumes.  This whole time a 20 something 3 benches to the right of me with a bolt gun and big ass scope (yes he is at a 25 yard target but has yet to fire a shot) is just fiddling with his rifle and scope.

He finally looks over at me and begins to speak, this is the exchange:

Him: Hey dude, you are shooting my target.
Me:
Him: HEY! I SAID YOU ARE SHOOTING MY TARGET!
Me: Are you sure about that?
Him: Um YEAH! I wouldn't be saying it if I wasn't sure.
Me: Why don't you use that big scope of yours and check your target
Him: (looks through scope) Uh, sorry dude.

I turn and load another magazine and as I insert it, the assistant rangemaster comes over and the following exchange takes place:

Him: We don't allow pistols on this side.  It looks like you are shooting on someone else's paper, and that's WHY we don't allow pistols unless you can keep a 1" group on the 15 yard range.

Me: First off, the guy with the orbital telescope on his rifle was wrong, why don't you take a look?  Second, are you serious about me proving my accuracy on a range that is 10 yards shorter than this one?

Him: Yeah, those are the rules.

Me:  I'll bet you $50 cash that I can hold less than 1" at 15 yards for as many rounds as you want me to shoot.

Him: Uh, that won't be necessary, carry on.

I packed up my shit and went and watched my FIL blow .45 caliber holes in his target.  Just wasn't worth it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Man, I'm so happy I get to go to a police range about once every other weekend...

I wish I could (at least for handguns)...not having to deal with gangbangers and other dangerous shooters would be wonderful.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You assume they are not from the gun boards.

OLL screams calguns to me. Like this guy today. took the time to buy and build an OLL with a quality top half. built in in a way that its legal under the current definitions. he got that info someplace.  He just never took the time to learn the basic operation of an AR pattern rifle.

A while back someone posted on calguns asking why they couldn't charge their rifle.  They were surprised to discover that the empty tube in the back of the rifle is actually used to contain a spring and buffer.  Imagine that.  

That Bushmaster top loading Carbon-15 was actually around before the OLL craze IIRC, and many stores that are afraid to sell OLLs actually sell them.  So it is possible that a dealer said "hey, this is the closest you can get to a real AR here in CA".  
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I could (at least for handguns)...not having to deal with gangbangers and other dangerous shooters would be wonderful.  

I love policing myself and being ably to perform doubletap drills on multiple targets.

Oh course I have to "pay" my way into such freedom - it's always after a firearms and self defense class I assist/co-teach with gets out. Most of them improve, but some students make me really hope my vest holds up if they decide to turn their brains to "EXTRA stupid" one day.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Last weekend I get dragged along to the local public range with my FIL.  I bring along my Browning Buckmark Field with the 10" barrel and Aimpoint 5000 and decide to plink at the 25 yard benches (they don't have 50, just 25 and 100).

Love my Buckmark

Yep the thing is a tackdriver but those recoil springs suck in the worst way.  I ended up ordering 3 of them from Numrich.  So far, in about 2000 rounds fired, the original and the 1st of the three replacements have broken.  That little c-clip is the worst design idea ever.  Why no one makes a replacement captured spring assy. is beyond me.

RE: police ranges.  I went to the Roseville PD range and they said no "civilians" allowed. I made a snide remark about not realizing that police departments were US military branches and walked out.

Link Posted: 10/24/2006 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

RE: police ranges.  I went to the Roseville PD range and they said no "civilians" allowed. I made a snide remark about not realizing that police departments were US military branches and walked out.

Depends on the range. Was it paid for by tax dollars, or through the officer's union? Here, the range is owned by the union, so they can control whoever goes in, though they do rent it out ($200/hr I think.. pretty steep, but a nice range)
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#20]
i took a day off work one day, went to the range with ALL my toys...

there was a guy who i guess was bored, 'cause he had nothing better to do than bother me.

I started off with my Ruger PC4.  this guy tried to convince ME that it was a mini-14...

i pulled out my 03 Springfield.  this guy commented how i had a nice Mauser 98k...

I pulled out my 98k, he commented on how nice my Springfield was...

the guy actually managed to identify my Mossberg as a shotgun though...

i pulled out my springer mil-spec, he wanted to know how much my Hi-Power cost...

i pulled out my Beretta 92 with the crimson trace grips, he tried to convince me that the laser was illegal...

lastly i pulled out my Bushy TLC, and the guy tried to convince me that it's illegal.  He left on the note that "he didn't wanna be there when i got busted"

crap like this has happened before, mostly from 8-12 year old kids who are curious.  this guy looked like he was 30... head.gif

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#21]
A guy I knew had a Webley-Fosbury he loved to take to public ranges.  Used to get a comment "Just another crummy Webley" and then he'ld fire it.  Used to get a crowd all the time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
A guy I knew had a Webley-Fosbury he loved to take to public ranges.  Used to get a comment "Just another crummy Webley" and then he'ld fire it.  Used to get a crowd all the time.

there was a gentleman that came into firingline/brea range/north oc shooting range when i worked there.(when it was brea range) He had 4 webley-fosburys and  he let me shoot one of them, they are a hoot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#23]
My SKS's break isnt that big is it?

j/k  Good story, there are some clowns at the local ranges.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the range. Was it paid for by tax dollars, or through the officer's union? Here, the range is owned by the union, so they can control whoever goes in, though they do rent it out ($200/hr I think.. pretty steep, but a nice range)

Our peace officer's range is required to have a certain number of non-peace officer members. The annual stroke is only $50, and it's the only one that allows night shooting.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:36:09 AM EDT
[#25]
My question,
Are any of these guys going to the range worth educating, or is it just easier to slam them on gun forums, because we are so high and mighty?
Really guys, we sound no better then the antburners.
I think we would be doing California a favor, if we actually helped people out who are new to the sport.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I just try not to go to any range's anymore. I like to take a drive out to the desert and find an open area about 2-4 miles away from the main road that has a good solid back-drop or hillside. Take in some fresh open air and take my time. Sometimes we will take the bike's to and do some trail's or just fool around. I just cannot seem to get the wife to go as often as I would like, so I sometimes have to bribe her and tell her we can go to the OUTLET STORES on our way back or the next day. Oh Well !!! I like that deal better than the range............
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm fortunate where I live is not too far (15-18 miles) from a well managed and maintained indoor range which is just outside Camp Pendleton.  Shooting with current and fellow former Marines (there are no ex-Marines) presents a much more orderly and safe range given most everyone's training and background.  It's also quite encouraging watching the Dad's (and Mom's) who bring their kids to the range and observe them teaching them proper gun safety and handling the Marine Corps way.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm fortunate where I live is not too far (15-18 miles) from a well managed and maintained indoor range which is just outside Camp Pendleton.  Shooting with current and fellow former Marines (there are no ex-Marines) presents a much more orderly and safe range given most everyone's training and background.  It's also quite encouraging watching the Dad's (and Mom's) who bring their kids to the range and observe them teaching them proper gun safety and handling the Marine Corps way.  

Ironsights AKA Oceanside shooting acadamy?

Nice place and you are corrext that there are less Fudds there.

I was there once when a Marine rented some hand cannon like a .480 or 500S&W. He got his offhand thumb by the Brl to cylender gap. The gas took a chunck out of his thumb about 1/4" wide and all the way threw! Look painful, the range asked every one to stay there until the police cleared uin case they wanted to interview us.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not exactly sure, but it is part of the facility that doubles as their station/administration offices.  I highly doubt their union pitched in during the architecture and initial construction when they formed the city department though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#30]
fan,
what range were u at
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Campco if you wanna go shooting some time, I get out to pendleton middle to end of november, I've got both an AR and an AK that will be Cali-compliant (fixed mags) till I can Reg them as "Evil" assault weapons (military excemption). Got alot of milsurps too, OSA is gonna make some money off of me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top