Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 12:28:32 PM EDT
My wife and I are in our mid 40's and are interested in getting the heck out of this heat here in Central Texas and interested in the outskirts of Colorado Springs area.  We are looking at 18-24 months before we move, but are starting our planning now.  I  have worked in the criminal justice field (Discovery Coordinator - County Attorney's Office past 3 yrs) for 17 yrs. and she works in a well-known Texas grocery chain here in TX - HEB as a cashier.  I'm hoping by the time we get ready to look for jobs there times will be a little better finding a job.  We are both in pretty good fields because you are always going to have crime and need groceries.

Anyone have an experience with this area?  I have done a lot of research online, but first-hand experience would be better info.  Are there any good apartments anyone would recommend in that area?  We live in a 1/1 now with 825 sqft and pay 735/mo. that includes water, sewage, trash, pet rent.  The town we live in is 30 miles north of Austin at has about 50k people.  We would like have a smaller town like this (or smaller) that is closer to a big city like we are now.

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I live close to there. The seperation between that area and the Springs isn't quite like it is in the Austin area. I lived inthat area as well. The area is decent and the cost of living isn't going to break the bank either. Best part is the Cheyenne Mountain/ Pike Peak view. Always different and always beautiful.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Lincoln COunty generally has openings a few times a year but the pay sucks (starting is around 25K a year iirc it is 2069 a month plus bennies.).  It is a little over an hour North east of the springs on I70.  Springs ain't hiring that I know of and has budget issues.  I believe El Paso County (CO Spgs) did some lay offs a while back.  Limon PD pay isn't great doesn't hire very often.  Between Limon and sprigns you have Calhan PD(Doesn't hire very often pretty small3-4 guys I believe) Simla PD (chief one paid part timer and some reserves), Elbert COunty(not hiring no pay raise for the last 2 or 3 years).

There is a prison in Limon and DOC hires fairly frequently.  The eastern plains usually has jobs available but the pay sucks (I went through the academy with 3 sheriffs, 2 from the eastern plains 1 from the San Luis Valley.  Starting pay ran 800-1K a month in the late 80's early 90's.  I was making that part time at safeway and pizza hut).  

Aurora was hiring not sure if they still are.  But like most of the metro area you live in subdivision hell or drive an hour one way to work.

Good luck check back when you are closer to moving, maybe things will have changed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys.  I will check back once we get a little closer to the time.  Things aren't so great with the economy here either.  Starting 3rd year without any raise and higher insurance premiums.  
Thanks again for the help!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't comment on housing prices as I've lived on post since I got here (Ft. Carson) but I can say that finding jobs is a chore.  My wife is just a few credits shy of getting her BA in Psychology and can't even find a job working as a waitress or other similar job.  She hasn't tried fast food chains yet but I really don't want her working in that environment.  I think the problem with this area is there are so many military wives looking for jobs as well that it makes finding much of anything difficult.  Best of luck though.  The job market sucks here but everything else makes up for it.  The traffic is pretty bad here as well...although I came from the middle of nowhere and consider two cars behind an Amish buggy a traffic jam.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#6]
CMS, thank you for the info.  I understand about the job situation and traffic.  Both of those are the same thing we deal with here.  I'm hoping that by the time we are ready to move that things will improve in the job market.

Thanks again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top