Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2009 4:49:42 PM EDT
So the wife and mother-in-law and I were in West Seattle this afternoon and we went for a stroll into Lincoln Park. We came across a company picnic in progress, it was for employees of Seattle City Light. Not the white employees though, snapped a few pics. Chatted with a gal at the event, asked her why a dedicated "Latino, Filipino and Black employees picnic" She stated the company has a annual company picnic but mostly "old white guys show up, so we wanted something for ourselves" I said cool, and continued with my nature walk. What made me laugh is; she was as white as me, maybe she was African American by injection.......

Some of this shit has gotten so goofy, I don't even try and care anymore.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
This kind of mentality is why I hate people.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
obviously SCL needs to quit hiring "old white guys".
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, knock it off with the old white guys.

Who paid for the beer?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
the rate payers of SCL obviously.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Kind of a cool picnic, the food smelled good. There might have been 20 people there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm thinking it was for a different kind of diversity not related to race but sexual preference.... which would also exlude most "old white guys".
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#7]
If it was privately held the the people themselves (and paid for by themselves) then whatever.  If paid for by SCL, then it's total bullshit.    But then the city of seattle rented the Seattle Aquarium (which starts at like $15k for a 4 hour block, not including catering or entertainment, or use of the sound or video system, nor the mammal feeding), so they probably paid triple that, plus whoever the band that was hired, purely for the Latino/Latina employees.  And of course the Mayor was there and suppose to give a speech, but his "honor" nickels was too tired because he had a busy day of giving speeches, and snuck out the side door (where I didn't recognise him at first and almost tripped him by accident).  Extra security is hired by the aquarium for all events.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
"Latino, Filipino and Black employees picnic"

That's pretty fuckin' racist no matter how ya look at it.  Idiotic, really.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It can be, but then I think racism should be legal as long as it's a private business.  An organisation, or store for that matter should be able to prohibit whoever they want to, for whatever stupid reason they want.  Even to the hiring of employees (this wouldn't apply to any level of government agencies, contractors, or subcontractors though) and if they fail, they fail.  
You want an all whatever race bank?  Fine, but your problem if you go bankrupt.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can be, but then I think racism should be legal as long as it's a private business.  An organisation, or store for that matter should be able to prohibit whoever they want to, for whatever stupid reason they want.  Even to the hiring of employees (this wouldn't apply to any level of government agencies, contractors, or subcontractors though) and if they fail, they fail.  

Really? You think that just because of one's race you should exclude? I like to judge people based on attitude and ability not race.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I think we should judge folks by their smell.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#12]
What would happen if somebody hosted a "white people" picnic?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:52:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? You think that just because of one's race you should exclude? I like to judge people based on attitude and ability not race.

People are individuals, lumping them together and judging them as a group doesn't work. Not only is it immoral... it will make you look like a fool most of the time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Exactly.  It would turn out so well......................................................Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson's beepers would go off, and they'd hit that switch for the hidden door behind the bookshelf, slide down the poles to the FatCave, get in their RacistMobile and be on scene quicker than you could say "sho-nuff dawg".  It'd be lots of fun.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People are individuals, lumping them together and judging them as a group doesn't work. Not only is it immoral... it will make you look like a fool most of the time.

That pretty much sums up Unicorns point.

He's saying that we should let people do what they want to in regards to being racist if they want because in this day and age, racism cuts both ways and by letting people out themselves as assholes, their racist businesses (run by any particular race, not singling out whites, blacks, hispanics, whatever) will fail because the general populace as a whole won't support those kinds of businesses.  

Sure there will be little niche markets for some things, but no "white only" bank will ever survive in the modern world, just as the "buy from black owned businesses only" experiment is turning out to be a huge failure down in the south.  

Unicorns point is that by pulling out the stops, we can finally identify the closet racist fuckheads for who they really are and the businesses that run with good, honest policy will thrive and the shitbag places will quickly go under.

At least that's what I got out of it.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Racists!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That pretty much sums up Unicorns point.

He's saying that we should let people do what they want to in regards to being racist if they want because in this day and age, racism cuts both ways and by letting people out themselves as assholes, their racist businesses (run by any particular race, not singling out whites, blacks, hispanics, whatever) will fail because the general populace as a whole won't support those kinds of businesses.  

Sure there will be little niche markets for some things, but no "white only" bank will ever survive in the modern world, just as the "buy from black owned businesses only" experiment is turning out to be a huge failure down in the south.  

Unicorns point is that by pulling out the stops, we can finally identify the closet racist fuckheads for who they really are and the businesses that run with good, honest policy will thrive and the shitbag places will quickly go under.

At least that's what I got out of it.

That's pretty much exactly my point.  I'm not saying racism is right. But in private busniness, people should be allowed to do what they want to.  Most of us here wouldn't use a business that had a sign on the door saying that gun owners are all bad would we?  Same thing with a place that said no whites, asians, or halfbreeds. Or no blue eyed people.  Or no redheads. Or whatever.  It's all about liberty right?  Let people be stupid, but then let stupid hurt.  As long as they aren't actually harming, or putting others are risk, people should be allowed to do as they wish.
Government agencies being owned by all of us, and therefore representing all of us would have to operate without bias of course.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's only racist if it's whitey doing it. It's unpossible for anyone else to be racist.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's only racist if it's whitey doing it. It's unpossible for anyone else to be racist.

Yep that's exactly right because racism isn't JUST about negative views or stereotypes it's about oppression too and since the minority doesn't have the power to oppress the majority they cannot by definition be racist.

At least that's what I heard once a while back in an institution of higher learning from an instructor who went on an on about how screwed up society is because of all the stuffy old white men who have been in charge of things since forever.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bingo.

What about a white entertainment television?
What about a white college fund?
Waht about the national association for the advancement of caucasian persons?

See?  Once it starts, where does the shit stop?

Oh yeah... riots and race wars.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yep that's exactly right because racism isn't JUST about negative views or stereotypes it's about oppression too and since the minority doesn't have the power to oppress the majority they cannot by definition be racist.

At least that's what I heard once a while back in an institution of higher learning from an instructor who went on an on about how screwed up society is because of all the stuffy old white men who have been in charge of things since forever.

I would have failed that class as I would have told the professor he was an idiot.

At least I went to a trite university with a bunch of stuffy old white people (men and women) and a few stuffy old asians were teaching.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Olson Johnson: All right... we'll give some land to the (two words we can't use). But we don't want the Irish!

[everyone complains]

Olson Johnson: Aw, prairie shit... Everybody!

[everyone rejoices]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If we did that poor Spanky would be excluded from EVERYTHING!

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#24]
But people will fit steroetypes...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir, How would you know?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir, How would you know?

I have had lunch with you before remember?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top