Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2003 9:12:38 PM EDT
Help!

I am a college student in Seattle.  I have a list of people who have never been shooting before, and want to.

I don't own any handguns.

Where is a good rifle range nearby to introduce new people to guns?

I've been to Renton Fish & Game, and wasn't thrilled.  1 cartridge loading is a drag, and there must be better options somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
For rifle ranges close to Seattle, you will have a hard time doing much better than Renton Fish & Game Club.  Kenmore has the same 1-round rule, more supervision, and takes longer to get to.  Seattle Police Athletic Assn. is closer, but has the 1-round rule and only members or guests of members can go there.

Of course, if others know of some better places that I don't, I'd love to hear about them.  [:\]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I would check out Wade's Guns in Bellevue.  They have a really nice range and if you call them and tell them you have a bunch of college friends that have never shot before they'll take you in the back and give you an over-view and probably a deal on guns/ammo too.  They like to leave fist time shooters with a good impression.  Also you can load up a full mag there and the weather is always perfect at an indoor range :D
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:27:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Well If you want to join a range you can join Snoqualmi Valley Rifle Club. www.svrifle.com Decent facilities and no round limit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with gtcrispy, svrc is a great range to be a member of, that's where I do my shooting.  But for beginners I've always taken them to Wade's.  You can buy your handgun ammo right there, they'll show your friends how to operate and aim a hand gun, and you have about 40 different hand guns you can choose to shoot.  So women with smaller hands can get a gun that fits them and vice versa for men.

I got my first introduction to shooting handguns at Wade's when I was in college and a member of the Young Republicans (heh).  Wades was great, they gave us a really good deal on guns and ammo, they might do the same for you too.  They just want to give first timers a positive shooting experience so they'll come back.  Wades is the place to go if you want to introduce newbies to hand guns IMO.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome!

My absolute FIRST experience firing a gun (other than my dad's .22LR rifle (a rifle that shoots a very small bullet) back in the 70's) was firing a Smith and Wesson nine millimeter semi-automatic pistol/handgun that I was able to rent at a range in Lynnwood called "Continental Sportsman."  (Don't look for it, it's not there anymore.)  Yes, you could show up at a place, pay the fee, show your ID, and RENT handguns, and shoot them at targets right there - indoors!

The folks that reccomend Wade's Eastside Guns in Bellevue are correct.  That's your best bet at your first try at shooting a HANDGUN if you're a beginner.  Go to Wade's with your buddies, rent some handguns (I suggest a .45 "1911" style as well as a nice 9MM - maybe a S&W or a Baretta) and enjoy yourselves!  When it comes to rifles, I do not know of any range that rents them.  I have frequented the Kenmore range many times and I intend to check out the Issaquah Sportsman's range next.  (No website yet.)  Everyone here seems to not like the "one shot" rule that Kenmore has.  I understand that, since plinking is so much more fun, but for a beginner, it's a nice, safe place to start out.  

To summarize...

Handguns & Handgun rentals with an indoor range: Wade's Eastside Guns in Bellevue.

Rifles for beginners:  Kenmore

Anthony
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Issaquah Sportsman range is good for rifle and they will allow mags. Just use good sense and not go into spaz mode (like shooting unauthorized rapid fire). otherwise it is like the Renton range.  Do you know anybody that has a rifle for you (and your friends) to shot?  If not, then WADE'S is your place...just start off w/ the .22 rifles they have to rent.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:32:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Issaquah Sportsman range is good for rifle and they will allow mags. Just use good sense and not go into spaz mode (like shooting unauthorized rapid fire). otherwise it is like the Renton range.  Do you know anybody that has a rifle for you (and your friends) to shot?  If not, then WADE'S is your place...just start off w/ the .22 rifles they have to rent.

I've rifles and shotguns aplenty.

I'll check Issaquah when I get back up north after Christmas vacation.  I intend to stay up in WA after graduation, and want somewhere good to shoot.  Single-loading Garand clips is a wretched hassle.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:11:24 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a nice outdoor one in bothell. I can't remember the name but I like it. You won't get looked down upon if you show up with something black. They have hard rules but it is for safty. Only nono's I can remember are no 50bmg and no man targets.

Oz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top