Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2011 2:19:17 PM EDT
What is the most appropriate optic for this rifle, without going too crazy on the price!!

This rifle will be used for bit of target shooting and bunny bashing (night time usually)

any advice will be appreciated
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:05:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Is your son going to be using this? - he did win it after all

For target shooting a red dot may be useful as head position/eye relief is not as critical as with a scope.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is your son going to be using this? - he did win it after all

For target shooting a red dot may be useful as head position/eye relief is not as critical as with a scope.

thats right, he will be using it too.....

thanks for the website link..

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Regarding scope choice, you could go for a Simmons whitetail classic if you can find one. I think they go from 1.5 to 4 mag.

I have had an ordinary Rem 597 for something like 10 years now. They are great rifles.
Only improvements are you might want to fit a volquartson target hammer and extractor and SYSS do 25 round mags for them too.
When you strip the rifle down for cleaning, put it back together without any lubricant on the action rods etc and only tighten the action rod grub screws just beyond finger tight and it will run flawlessly for thousands of rounds.
When the alloy rem mags get a bit dirty pop the bottoms and remove the spring and follower. Stick the alloy bodies in the dishwasher for a quick cycle and they will come out as good as new.

My one works well on Minimags, blazer and lapua standard (or whatever they call it now). don't bother with any Remington ammunition - it will all misfeed, stovepipe, etc...
Mine also cycles most subsonic Ammunition too.

You and your lad should have hours of fun with it.

Enjoy
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
.....don't bother with any Remington ammunition - it will all misfeed, stovepipe, etc.....

+1 on this. All the Remington rimfire ammo I've tried has been rubbish.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
.....don't bother with any Remington ammunition - it will all misfeed, stovepipe, etc.....

+1 on this. All the Remington rimfire ammo I've tried has been rubbish.

thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
You're welcome Eralp.

I'll give you the full SP for cleaning etc at the October CSR match if you're there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You're welcome Eralp.

I'll give you the full SP for cleaning etc at the October CSR match if you're there.

Yep, i will try to be there

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Eralp,

You thought about a fixed mag to keep things nice and simple?

For £120 you cab pick up a secondhand Bushnell Elite 3200 10x42.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Eralp,

Good scopes, but how will that be at 25 yards? It may be a bit close for fixed magnification/fixed parallax.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 1:20:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eralp,

Good scopes, but how will that be at 25 yards? It may be a bit close for fixed magnification/fixed parallax.

for 25 yards? It's fine. Much under that and it does get interesting. As OP is going to use it for bunnies and a bit of targt shooting it should be fine.

Over on the forum that must not be named a number of peoplevparallax the down by slightly unwinding the front bell a tiny bit then using an O ring to maintain the gap.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Eralp,

for 25 yards? It's fine. Much under that and it does get interesting. As OP is going to use it for bunnies and a bit of targt shooting it should be fine.

Over on the forum that must not be named a number of peoplevparallax the down by slightly unwinding the front bell a tiny bit then using an O ring to maintain the gap.

Sorry but I can't agree with you. Fixed 10 power is no good at all for all round rimfire use.
I had a Bushnell 3200 on one of my 308s. It was OK, but you will have focus issues at rimfire ranges unless you reparallax some way or other.
That said, being as much 22 gallery rifle stuff is shot considerably closer than even 25 yds, 10 power will be a problem in itself, especially for a young 'un just starting out.

If you must go for a fixed power, go for a reasonable 4 x 32 or similar scope.

Best bet must be a variable. There is a reason why 3-9 and 2.5-10 mag scopes are so popular.
A couple of years ago Gunmart did a review of commonly available 3-9 power scopes. As I recall they liked the Leupold best, but a very close second was one of the Bushnells (can't remember but it might have been a 'legend').
You could try googling for that article...

Most rimfire shooting is shot unsupported, be it gallery / LSR or pest shooting. A young lad shooting standing unsupported does not want a fixed 10 power scope.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:28:17 AM EDT
[#14]
The most appropriate for what? The look of the rifle, the ammunition type (22LR) or the intended targets?

1. For 22LR dynamic shooting at targets and bunny bashing I use a 1.5-5x20 Simmons WTC, great low mag for close targets and quick acquisition and the 5 power for some distance work. Less than £100. The lower power scope will make the image seem a bit brighter and may give you an extra 30 mins before you need to use lamps.

2. For static bullseye targets and also good for bunnies at a bit more distance take something like a 3-9 power scope. Around £100.

3. If it's looky-likey then get a cheap ebay copy acog or aimpoint (about £50) or the real thing (not much change from £1000). There used to be cheap Colt scopes like the Vietnam era jobbies with BDC turrets that fit on carry handles for about £40, your choice depending upon what era/walt-type you want to be.

Just my £0.02
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:38:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The most appropriate for what? The look of the rifle, the ammunition type (22LR) or the intended targets?

1. For 22LR dynamic shooting at targets and bunny bashing I use a 1.5-5x20 Simmons WTC, great low mag for close targets and quick acquisition and the 5 power for some distance work. Less than £100. The lower power scope will make the image seem a bit brighter and may give you an extra 30 mins before you need to use lamps.

2. For static bullseye targets and also good for bunnies at a bit more distance take something like a 3-9 power scope. Around £100.

3. If it's looky-likey then get a cheap ebay copy acog or aimpoint (about £50) or the real thing (not much change from £1000). There used to be cheap Colt scopes like the Vietnam era jobbies with BDC turrets that fit on carry handles for about £40, your choice depending upon what era/walt-type you want to be.

Just my £0.02

So there you go. That's two of us recommending the Simmons whitetail classic (see my earlier post)...
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my £0.02

So there you go. That's two of us recommending the Simmons whitetail classic (see my earlier post)...

[pats on back all round]
Can't beat it for getting the first shot off quick at the speed steel at the action weekends.
My only issue with it is I would prefer it to be a 1-5power, but that is a minor issue.
A great scope for little money.
I guess the Leupold and other 1-5ish power scope will be just as good but the price might be an issue on what is only a rimfire after all.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my £0.02

[pats on back all round]
Can't beat it for getting the first shot off quick at the speed steel at the action weekends.
My only issue with it is I would prefer it to be a 1-5power, but that is a minor issue.
A great scope for little money.
I guess the Leupold and other 1-5ish power scope will be just as good but the price might be an issue on what is only a rimfire after all.

Guys..thanks for the brilliant info..much appreciated

As suggested, I think variable power scope will be my choice..

I must say the BSA Sweet 22 looks the business with adjustable/lockable turrets..I wonder if any one has any experience with it..For £128.00 it looks good value too

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an older version of the Sweet 22 in 3-9x.  The current version has side focus, which to me is a big design improvement.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm using this at the moment and am really liking it.

Here
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#20]
When I did a lot of shooting with rimfires, most of us used the Simmons WTC 1.5-5X20mm. Try and find a Filipino model rather than the current (Probably Chinese) examples. They also work well on pistol calibre rifles, so you get a fairly versatile scope.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here

Turd alert!

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:35:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here

Turd alert!

Why is that then?

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:37:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:44:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:13:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I've had good experiences with Simmons WTC scopes, so +1 for them from me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Sod it, it's a learning experience. I'm gonna see if I can pick up one of those WTC scopes myself.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Here

I had an original model. It was an absolute nightmare to use on most rifles due to excessive mounting height and lack of eye-relief, but it was optically very good for the price. It probably would have worked reasonably well for AR style rimfires.

Apparently the current models are a big improvement in usability. The originals were heavy, and much larger than this photo might lead you to imagine.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Another vote for the Simmons 1-5 WTC

Used to use one on my marlin .357, never had an issue with it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top