Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 8/4/2009 3:15:05 PM EST
I'm in the mood again to buy a used pop up camper.

From what I can tell online this looks like shark infested waters.

Any advice? This would be for six people max. Potty not required. Extremely well working A/C *is* required.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:38:30 PM EST
bought one years ago and never really cared for it, really wish I would have waited and bought a self contained solid side, it was a real pain in the butt to set up and take down, but the a/c worked great, it was a coleman
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 5:00:22 AM EST
Growing up, my parents wen through three pop-up trailers in 20 years. There are certain features you definitely want to look for before buying one.

Here are some the more important things to look for that were engrained in my memory.

1. Get one that has a lot of storage. Believe it or not, you run out of space quick in a pop-up. You don't want you stuff piled up in there and leave yourself nowhere to sit.
2. Make sure the damn thing doesn't leak. Many times we had a nice rain storm and the velcro tabs on the inside that are used to strap the zipper down windows leak. The manufacturer had the velcro exposed to the outside and when they got wet, they acted like a oil latern wick and slowly allowed water to drip on your bed. Don't buy one if the velcro for the window straps in sewn in on the outside.
3. Make sure everything works before you buy it. Most have running water, and built in water resovoir, gas stove, etc. Open the sucker up and make sure every light works, every drawer opens and closes properly, and that no parts are missing.
4. Always offer less than what bluebook vlaue is. Pop-up trailers are like condos. They lose value faster than hard sided trailers. Make sure you get a good enough deal to cover yourself for resale.
5. Make sure the turn signals, brake lights, and wiring harness are in great shape.

There are two typs of pop-ups. All manual, and electric assisted. the electric assisted do all the hard work for you. They raise and lower the campter top for you and make setup a breeze. The old ones we had were all manual and you had to sell all the posts up manually and insert pegs into the hinges so that id didn't collaspse. Not as much fun.

Good luck with it!
Top Top