Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 9/11/2013 7:59:39 AM EDT
I have decided over the last few days that I want to buy a nice chunk of land (40-60 acres) in the mountains or hills. I want to be able to shoot off my back porch and grow my own food/live stock and have plenty of land to hike on and still be private. Would like to be somewhat close to a decent size city for shopping and social outings. This is a ten year plan as I have kids in school and this is more of a retirement/later in life plan but want to buy something sooner than later. I am trying to decide between eastern TN and western NC and wanted to hear your input and suggestions/recommendations. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:21:05 AM EDT
It's full of Floridans.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:52:07 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Durka-Durka:
It's full of Floridans.  
View Quote

HAHA!!! I guess its a good reason to head up then!!! I promise I would stay during the winter though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:18:44 PM EDT
NC is too eaten up with liberals in the Triangle area, IMO.

For TN, I highly urge you to look @ Polk Co. I was cruising the back, back, back country there a few weeks ago & saw several plots for sale, ranging from 18 acres to a mere 832. You're only an hour from Chattanooga, 1/2 hr from Cleveland & Wally World. There's 2 rivers for trout fishing, kayaking & so forth. The Ocoee is well known for white water rafting.

There's also a spiffy little gun shop there as well.  

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:13:56 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BobCole:
NC is too eaten up with liberals in the Triangle area, IMO.

For TN, I highly urge you to look @ Polk Co. I was cruising the back, back, back country there a few weeks ago & saw several plots for sale, ranging from 18 acres to a mere 832. You're only an hour from Chattanooga, 1/2 hr from Cleveland & Wally World. There's 2 rivers for trout fishing, kayaking & so forth. The Ocoee is well known for white water rafting.

There's also a spiffy little gun shop there as well.  

My .o2
View Quote

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:51:32 PM EDT
As a Floridian who moved to E. Tn. in 2006, I may be able to help you out a little.
First of all, if you want to buy land, buy sooner than later. The prices seem to be rising as more people move here (my observation, I cannot point to any legitimate study or report; take it for what it's worth). You want acreage? Understand that nothing in East Tennessee is flat. What flatland there is is called good farm land and will be very expensive. Most of what's for sale is hilly and rocky. Rocky Top. It's no joke. You cannot put a shovel in the ground. Don't get me wrong, the hills and mountains are beautiful, but after a few years, when the novelty wears off, and you want to build a garage on your back 40, those hills and rocks will make you curse the ground you stand upon (ask me how I know).

Then there are the people. In my opinion the best culture in the world. Every one, for the most part, is helpful and polite. But they are not like Floridians. They do not move fast. Ever. For any reason. Again this seems quaint for the first few years. But at some point you are going to be running late and no one is going to help you catch up. The traffic is much slower and they are slow side by side on every multi lane roadway. The concept of slower traffic keep right is unknown in these parts. They are slow in the grocery and convince stores. They are slow at every place of business. Nobody is in a hurry. For a Floridian, this can be maddening.

By the way, nobody cares how you did it where you came from. They ain't changing anything for you. When you get here, do not try to impose your ways on people who have lived here for generations. For most Tennesseans, people from Florida are only slightly better than a damn Yankee (if you want to get under their skin, remind them that you moved "up north" to get here ). The best thing you can do is observe every local custom and assimilate. You can't fake it either. If you genuinely make an effort to fit in and do things the way they've always been done, then you'll be fine. Again, everyone is friendly, but everyone keeps up their guard until they're sure you're not trying to upset the apple cart.

Don't misunderstand what I'm trying to say; I love it here. When I moved my family here, I was free to move anywhere in the world. We chose East Tennessee and we do not regret that decision. You just have to remember, this ain't Florida (and that's a good thing).
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:59:48 PM EDT
As far as the choice between Tennessee and NC, remember, NC has a state income tax. Tennessee's sales tax will choke a mule (9 1/2%), but at least you don't have to cut a check to the State. Also, as I understand it, you have to get a permission slip in NC every time you want to buy a pistol. In Tn., just walk into a shop, give them money, and walk out with your new gun. It makes impulse gun purchases painfully easy .
Top Top