Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 11:00:14 AM EDT

What happens?  Does the penal code say you are required to keep your pistol permit on your person while carrying?

I'm sure the LEO that stopped you isn't going to give you the benefit of doubt, but I'm curious if your pistol would just be confiscated until you go down to the station with your pistol permit or if you get a free ride to jail too?

I keep mine in my wallet, but am thinking of running a photocopy and putting one in my glove compartment incase the stars align in such a way that say I lose my wallet somewhere and then get stopped on the way home... a photocopy would be better than nothing, I hope.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#1]
8. License: exhibition and display. Every licensee while carrying a
pistol or revolver shall have on his or her person a license to carry
the same. Every person licensed to possess a pistol or revolver on
particular premises shall have the license for the same on such
premises. Upon demand, the license shall be exhibited for inspection to
any peace officer, who is acting pursuant to his or her special duties,
or police officer. A license as gunsmith or dealer in firearms shall be
prominently displayed on the licensed premises. A gunsmith or dealer of
firearms may conduct business temporarily at a location other than the
location specified on the license if such temporary location is the
location for a gun show or event sponsored by any national, state, or
local organization, or any affiliate of any such organization devoted to
the collection, competitive use or other sporting use of firearms. Any
sale or transfer at a gun show must also comply with the provisions of
article thirty-nine-DD of the general business law. Records of receipt
and disposition of firearms transactions conducted at such temporary
location shall include the location of the sale or other disposition and
shall be entered in the permanent records of the gunsmith or dealer of
firearms and retained on the location specified on the license. Nothing
in this section shall authorize any licensee to conduct business from
any motorized or towed vehicle. A separate fee shall not be required of
a licensee with respect to business conducted under this subdivision.
Any inspection or examination of inventory or records under this section
at such temporary location shall be limited to inventory consisting of,
or records related to, firearms held or disposed at such temporary
locations. Failure of any licensee to so exhibit or display his or her
license, as the case may be, shall be presumptive evidence that he or
she is not duly licensed.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah it's definitely not a good thing to get caught carrying without your permit.

If your county doesn't have a good electronic system of registered handguns/pistol permit holders, I would definitely assume you would be going to jail for unlawful possession of a handgun. Even if they looked up your handgun serial number and cross referenced it with your name/driver's license, they may still  bring ya in just to be "safe." But I doubt many counties and police agencies have that capability...maybe I am wrong.

So yeah, a photocopy is a great idea. Being friends with the local cops is an even better idea.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I know my permit # just in case I ever forget my permit. Not saying it will help much,
but it's better then nothing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Just as an FYI: In NY state, you are not lawfully obligated to notify a LEO that you are carrying.

That doesnt mean that its not a good idea to, but should you get pulled over/stopped etc, and you know that you dont have your permit on your person, you dont have to just volunteer that information to the officer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The thing with my permit is it's the old paper version. I know you can't laminate it, but I wish there was a good way to protect. The thing doesn't fit in a normal size wallet. I have it folded in half right now. I've only ever taken it out to buy ammo at Wally World.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Hickory shampoo?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The thing with my permit is it's the old paper version. I know you can't laminate it, but I wish there was a good way to protect. The thing doesn't fit in a normal size wallet. I have it folded in half right now. I've only ever taken it out to buy ammo at Wally World.

Same here.

I wish they would go with a freaking DL style card.  My permit is freaking ragged
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

I wish they would go with a freaking DL style card.  My permit is freaking ragged

I don't know what counties are doing it now but in Schenectady county, you get a credit card size permit, and it's just as sturdy as a C card. When I went to amend mine a year ago for a new gun I got the new improved permit.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.

I don't know what counties are doing it now but in Schenectady county, you get a credit card size permit, and it's just as sturdy as a C card. When I went to amend mine a year ago for a new gun I got the new improved permit.

ulster county is a plastic card with color photo etc

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Should be some kind of plastic cover or sleeve you can buy and slip the permit into.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

ulster county is a plastic card with color photo etc

Steuben county has gone to the DL style permit now,I got mine updated not long ago for $15,before that I had mine laminated,PP clerk never batted an eye,was laminated for 20 years,I just carried the white amendment slips with me,instead of recording handguns on the back of the permit.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:56:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Those were designed for a 1920's style men's billfold- the type you carry insiide the pocket of a suit jacket etc.  

as for the OP it kind of depends what you are pulled/stopped over for and who does the pulling over. When it happened to me the called the Sheriff's dept to confirm I had a permit and did have the pistols on it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:23:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Should be some kind of plastic cover or sleeve you can buy and slip the permit into.

PVC baseball card holder... That's what I have mine in.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Steuben county has gone to the DL style permit now,I got mine updated not long ago for $15,before that I had mine laminated,PP clerk never batted an eye,was laminated for 20 years,I just carried the white amendment slips with me,instead of recording handguns on the back of the permit.

Laminating a pistol license in NY will void it. Your county clerk just chose to ignore it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:57:34 AM EDT
[#15]
There shouldn't even be a need for a "permit" in the first place!

I know, I'm preaching to the choir.  

Carry on.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

or just buy the proper leather holder for it..  can get them at some gun shops or army navy stores.  Like $20.

I carry the leather permit holder, used to have my .gov ID above that, and NYS DL under that.  On top of the leather holder I keep a money clip.  All this cuts down on bulk of stuff in my pocket, and keeps it all much more organized.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried that with a bank book sleeve and it just made the picture deteriorate even faster.  I have it is a large bi folder that is designed to hold a passport in so it does not flex much its jsut worn out
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#18]

[/quote]
Laminating a pistol license in NY will void it. Your county clerk just chose to ignore it.

[/quote]

Oneida County laminates your permit for you right in their office. I think they charged me like $3 extra, lol.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Oneida County laminates your permit for you right in their office. I think they charged me like $3 extra, lol.

That's fine if the licensing agency does it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Delaware county now has the new plastic cards.
They are nice yet now they charge $3 to remove a gun because they
need to print a new card. Flip side if you add and remove at the same time
it's just $3.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#21]
My County sheriff's office has hard, laminated credit card type permits...They only list 6 six guns on each...(Dutchess), if you have 7 guns, you get two cards, 24 guns, 4 cards, etc... *someone* in Dutchess County has over 1000 pistols, according to the Det. that runs the department..I'd hate to see his wallet, but he is a collector, and most likely doesn't even CC...

When I added my 7th gun, I got a new card with only 6 on it in the mail, had to wait over a month for it to be corrected

I was stopped once during that time, I had an empty box of ammo on the floor of my passenger seat, and had two pistols in my range bag. One was the one not listed. The NY State trooper took that pistol to the barracks, and told me to bring in my documentation when I got it. He let me keep the one on my belt. He also stated that is was NOT a crime per se:, to not have every pistol you own listed on your permit(s) with you at all times. It WAS a crime to be carrying a pistol without any permit on your person. I got a photocopy of my permit from the County Sheriff, and got my pistol back the next morning. I believe the trooper didn't even bother to call the Sheriff to check on whether it was registered prior to me coming back. I didn't look threatening, and I already had 6 on my permit.
Our County like most in NY, is swamped with new permit seekers, and updates, etc... they have hired a bunch of new people, and not all of them are up to speed yet....Dutchess is still relatively new to the laminated card system too..YMMV
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder when Otsego is going to get the cards? I might have to see if I can find one of those permit wallet thingies.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#23]
DMV has it listed when they run my DL / Plates.

ETA : Opps, sorry, I didn't mean to answer in the NY HTF. I guess reading is fundamental.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

source?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:29:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Not sure as it is probably buried somewhere but laminating a .gov issued document could be considered an alteration of the document.
http://www.co.dutchess.ny.us/CountyGov/Departments/Sheriff/SHPistPermCond.htm

Conditions Affecting Pistol Licenses

1. State law does not permit alteration or lamination of your pistol license.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top