Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2006 4:57:41 AM EDT
This just in from our club secretary! He said the more people respond with interest the better as this may mean it can become a new discipline at Bisley:

--------------------------
At short notice, we have obtained permission to run a trial Metallic Silhouette Shoot at Bisley this coming weekend (October 28th & 29th) during the Gallery Rifle Championships at Bisley.  It will be for .22 rimfire only but will be the first time it has been shot at Bisley so for Gallery Rifle shooting, it’s definitely one to be in on.  Any .22 rifle will be OK but it will need a scope.  If you don’t have one, we can loan you one.

Unfortunately, as we have to fit in with the main championships, I can’t say exactly what the format will be but it will be run on Butt Zero at the bottom end of Stickledown.

For those who don’t know, Metallic Silhouette involves shooting at scaled-down Animal Silhouettes, either standing, offhand or in some cases prone or sitting off cross-sticks at various distances.  Sounds easy, doesn’t it???  Well, come along and give it a try!!!!!

Apart from being a first for the Club and Bisley, it will also help raise the profile of MRPC in the shooting world.

In 1984, Vic Adams, along with Dave “Daddy” Rolfe (sadly, no longer with us) started the “1500 Championships” and propelled the Club squarely into the forefront of pistol shooting.  This was probably the most popular single event in the history of pistol shooting in the UK with over 300 competitors at its height.  It is a sad indictment of the state of this country that we are now just about the only country in Europe that doesn’t and can’t shoot it.

This is hopefully a chance to repeat Vic’s achievement and put MRPC back on the map, so to speak.

We obviously need as many competitors as possible to take part and show the NRA there is a demand for what in this country is a new and exciting form of shooting.  For anyone who can’t be there we need as many e-mails of support as we can get so if you are interested in taking part at some stage, please e-mail peter.luton-at-btinternet.com and register your support.  Given sufficient interest, we can try to extend the shoot to Lever-action pistol calibre rifles out to 100 yards (if we can get the targets).

What we also need is for anyone who can be there on either or both days to help out with the running of the shoot.  Susan and I will be there both days but we’ll also need any other help we can get during the weekend.  We’ve had a couple of offers but we need as many as possible.  The plus side of helping out is that lunch will be provided at the Dukka Hut, an offer you can’t refuse!

Please e-mail me to let me know whether you will be able to come along and shoot and/or help with running things.  Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Pete Luton
--------------------------

I'm there on Sat and Sun helping out, so come along! (Or at least email Pete and let him know you're interested as this will advance the cause with the powers taht be at Bisley.

Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#1]
This sounds very interesting and thanks for the info but I've got a flower arranging presentation penciled in....

Taffy
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have been at HRA if I had the kit to use, but don't worry, I'm getting there.

If you're at least vaguely interested let Pete know, this will help him convince the authoritahz at bisley that people want to shoot at more than just paper AND STEEL.

Link Posted: 10/24/2006 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I think Pete Luton meant the first time for the club at Bisley, not in the history of the place.
Anyway, what was it like? You say a couple of years ago? I sure hope there's more steel shooting going on in the future. it'll be nice to have more variety than just paper targets. The only other form of plate/steel shooting I get to do is PSG.

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
150 competitors....that's big. How come it's not shot more often then, clearly there's interest. Bummer about the live ammo being left on the ground. I'll mention this to Pete, make sure none of us do that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, makes sense. Loads of work, time and money goes into our small PSG comps once a month, targets have to me manufactured, maintained, repaired etc. We have storage on site for everything, but there's still quite a bit of work that goes into running these things, even at small scale.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't done the animal silhouette thing but I have twice shot steel plate at Bisley and it's great fun. Shoot five plates as fast as you can against the clock. Five runs per stage, best four to count.

Cheap, fun shooting, highly recommended. Can't say I saw a lot of dropped live ammo, or I'd have been picking it up tight sod that I am!

Sadly this weekend is already spoken for.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's always fun to shoot reenactors

Is that legal?

I've always rather liked the sealed knot?

Rich
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, today was fun. 500 Rounds .22LR kinda fun. I'll burn through the other 500 tomorrow.
The Slug match was excellent, but way to short. It was over before I started to get the hang of it. Will do two more matches tomorrow. I'm really liking solid slug target shotgun shooting.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:47:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top