Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 8:21:46 AM EDT
 Well, he did it again !!!!!  This was the letter I sent in response to his first reply:

"Dear Sir, I previously contacted you with my concerns of the violations of Constitutional Rights of the victims of hurricane Katrina. I specifically addressed the 2nd Admendment issue, and how the confiscation of legally owned firearms was a violation of that right.
Under the declaration of a federal Disaster, Louisanna State law affords the state the right to "control and regulate" firearms. It DOES NOT afford the state the right to confiscate said firearms in direct violation of the 2nd Admendment. The reply I recieved from you was what I consider a form letter in regards to relief efforts, and did not address my concern at all. I do not appreciate your skirting the issue. I asked for a specific response to a specific issue. Regardless of your stance on 2nd Admendment issues, you took an oath to defend the Constitution, including the 2nd Admendment, dispite your personal feelings on the issue. At this point in time, the 2nd Admendment is law, and I would appreciate a specific response on your position of what is happening in Louisanna in regard to the afoememtioned 2 Admendment issue. I await your response."

Would you believe I got a second self serving reply, telling me all about his involvement with the relief efforts?  As a matter of fact, it's the same "form" letter I got the first time!!!!  Which part of answering a direct, subject specific question doesn't he (his staff) understand??  I know the man is a gun grabbing asshat, but this is going beyond the 2nd Admendment issue in LA.  This is now an issue of a  US Senator refusing to communicate with the very people who put him in office and pay him.  
I'm continuing to hound his office just because he won't answer my question.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Your probably right. That's why I've contacted a bunch of buddies about getting an appointment with Sarbanes, just to pin him down and force him to answer. It's a civil rights issue. If he refuses to see us, I have a friend who owns one of the local newspapers, and is willing to do a story about how our Senator refussed to speak with us about his position on a civil rights issue.

ETA:  care to join us if we get a meeting?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Sarbanes is retiring, he probably doesn't give a flying F what gun owners think of him.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:58:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Your letter to Sarbanes probably gets "sorted" the same way that my letters to my state senator (der Kommandant Brian Frosh) do. I figure his interns open it up, read a couple sentences, and then say "This guy is a nutball-he believes in the Bill of Rights." Then they throw it away. You're wasting your time if you think anybody in power, anywhere, gives a darn about your rights or what you think.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#6]
"You're wasting your time if you think anybody in power, anywhere, gives a darn about your rights or what you think."

If writing a few e-mails and making a few phone calls makes me feel better, what the hell, why not?  We have no right to bitch about the gun grabbers if we haven't at least made our opinions known.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
What do we expect? I called Mikulski and Gilchrest, but I've heard jack and shit from them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Those "send a letter" pages are built to shit out a form letter. I believe they all have a drop down menu where you select the subject in which you are discussing. Odds are, 99% of the time it has an autoresponse system to where it sees the field you selected, pulls your e-mail addy out and slaps together a BS sammich that sounds like it's made just for you because you also included your first and last name in the letter form.

You're a lot more likely to get a real response if you just continuously call. Call every day, different times. Eventually the interns that answer the phones might actually get sick of hearing from you and transfer you to his office... or get a restraining order.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is my little MD Democrat story.

I had Elijah Cummings help me get a machine gun.  No lie.  His staff was actually very helpful and very professional.  I am a registered Republican, C&R holder, MSP designated collector, etc.  I got the impression that they collectively didn't give a damn about who I lined up politically with.  I didn't vote for him last time and we don't see eye to eye on many issues, but I respect his willingness to help out some average Joe in his area. Even more so with the fact that he is not a pro-gun public official.  I have to admit, it was really wierd giving his staffer the make, model, serial number, caliber, etc. :)

He even personally called me back after I faxed him a thank you letter.  I told him that thanks to him, the ATF resolved my problem and I received my machine gun.  He said he was happy to help - it is his job.  All in all, he seemed like a pretty nice guy.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here is my little MD Democrat story.

I had Elijah Cummings help me get a machine gun.  No lie.  His staff was actually very helpful and very professional.  I am a registered Republican, C&R holder, MSP designated collector, etc.  I got the impression that they collectively didn't give a damn about who I lined up politically with.  I didn't vote for him last time and we don't see eye to eye on many issues, but I respect his willingness to help out some average Joe in his area. Even more so with the fact that he is not a pro-gun public official.  I have to admit, it was really wierd giving his staffer the make, model, serial number, caliber, etc. :)

He even personally called me back after I faxed him a thank you letter.  I told him that thanks to him, the ATF resolved my problem and I received my machine gun.  He said he was happy to help - it is his job.  All in all, he seemed like a pretty nice guy.

Good for you !!   And thanks for helping make my point....  Regardless of personal feelings on the issue, Cummings did his job in helping you. That's what really burns me up. Sarbanes won't uphold the 2nd. He swore an oath to "protect and defend the parts of the Constitution that I believe in".
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]
X_Ring-

Thanks for the reply.  Good old "Rip Van" Sarbanes is a fossil.  He has turned a job that was intended as a duty and term limited responsibility to our republic to be a 20+ year career politician.  He is fat, dumb and happy and obviously could care less about your opinions.

Very sad, actually.  He is the epitome of what a public servant should NOT be, namely ignoring the job that he was elected to do.  Thank God he is retiring.

Chris.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm all in favor of contacting our elected officials, but sometimes it's going to make a difference, and sometimes it's not.

Imagine if  YOU were in office, and some whiney Takoma Park type wrote in favor of extending the AWB, or banning cop killer bullets.

Well, at least I'd have the balls to tell them no way, I support the 2nd (as opposed to the politicians who say the support it but then vote against it) but it sure wouldn't change my mind on the issue, even if a bunch of them called and wrote.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Your probably right. That's why I've contacted a bunch of buddies about getting an appointment with Sarbanes, just to pin him down and force him to answer. It's a civil rights issue. If he refuses to see us, I have a friend who owns one of the local newspapers, and is willing to do a story about how our Senator refussed to speak with us about his position on a civil rights issue.

ETA:  care to join us if we get a meeting?

When and where???

Well, I called and got some staffer. Seems like they're too busy to answer my 2nd, get to the point, e-mail.  I explained that I simply wanted to know my Senator's position on the issue, and would like to schedule a meeting. I was told that his schedule is full, and since the "alledged infractions" did not occur in his state, I would be better off contacting the LA. congressional reps.  They really passed the buck.  No way they're going to let me force him to say that he "protects and defends" the Constitution, and then not be able to back it up.  Sorry guys, but I don't see a meeting in our future.

By the way...Miklusky never even answered my first e-mail.  Maybe I'll start hounding her instead.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:40:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#16]
the weapons issue has already been resolved by a gudge and all guns are being returned as i type. the fed. govt stepped in earlier this week and ruled it unconstitionlal(sp). law suits are pending against the state and local govt officals for violation of personial rights.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:03:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
the weapons issue has already been resolved by a gudge and all guns are being returned as i type. the fed. govt stepped in earlier this week and ruled it unconstitionlal(sp). law suits are pending against the state and local govt officals for violation of personial rights.

A lawsuit was filied by The Second Admendment Foundation and the NRA, thus a Federal judge ordered the restraining order temporairly stopping the siezure of weapons. The "federal gov't" didn't have a damn thing to do with it. The Federal Gov't doesn't have the authority to "rule it unconstitutional" as you put it, only a court does.  The issue is NOT resolved untill the case is heard in court. Also, there have been reports of some of the weapons being "lost", and others not being returned untill the owner can produce a reciept proving that it was legally his.
What made you think that the Federal Gov't would or could "step in" and correct this???
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:11:35 AM EDT
[#18]
i meant federal govt as in federal court. and yes the guns are being returned AFTER they are proved to be the owners. when a police officer confiscates the weapon they have to fill out a property tag so there isnt a need to produce a reciept. and if the weapon is lost its the responsibility of the pd, so they can be held liable for replacement.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, he did it again !!!!!  This was the letter I sent in response to his first reply:

"Dear Sir, I previously contacted you with my concerns of the violations of Constitutional Rights of the victims of hurricane Katrina. I specifically addressed the 2nd Admendment issue, and how the confiscation of legally owned firearms was a violation of that right.
Under the declaration of a federal Disaster, Louisanna State law affords the state the right to "control and regulate" firearms. It DOES NOT afford the state the right to confiscate said firearms in direct violation of the 2nd Admendment. The reply I recieved from you was what I consider a form letter in regards to relief efforts, and did not address my concern at all. I do not appreciate your skirting the issue. I asked for a specific response to a specific issue. Regardless of your stance on 2nd Admendment issues, you took an oath to defend the Constitution, including the 2nd Admendment, dispite your personal feelings on the issue. At this point in time, the 2nd Admendment is law, and I would appreciate a specific response on your position of what is happening in Louisanna in regard to the afoememtioned 2 Admendment issue. I await your response."

Would you believe I got a second self serving reply, telling me all about his involvement with the relief efforts?  As a matter of fact, it's the same "form" letter I got the first time!!!!  Which part of answering a direct, subject specific question doesn't he (his staff) understand??  I know the man is a gun grabbing asshat, but this is going beyond the 2nd Admendment issue in LA.  This is now an issue of a  US Senator refusing to communicate with the very people who put him in office and pay him.  
I'm continuing to hound his office just because he won't answer my question.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Great idea!  I've made a hobby out of harrassing this fool for not taking a stand by answering me, either way. I've printed a copy of every e-mail to and from. I will be putting it in the local paper, letters to the Editor section, where people get to sound off about stuff like this. I'll also try to nail down an answer from whichever Democrap is taking his place. (yes, I KNOW it will be a Democrap...this is Md)
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
X_Ring-

Thanks for the reply.  Good old "Rip Van" Sarbanes is a fossil.  He has turned a job that was intended as a duty and term limited responsibility to our republic to be a 20+ year career politician.  He is fat, dumb and happy and obviously could care less about your opinions.

Very sad, actually.  He is the epitome of what a public servant should NOT be, namely ignoring the job that he was elected to do.  Thank God he is retiring.

Chris.

I just hope to hell we get somebody better.  I've written people before, the best response I got was a letter from Gov. Ehrlich about 2A stuff, it was basically a form letter saying he supports hunter's rights.  I suppose that's better than the usual crap politicians give you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top