Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2013 6:56:27 PM EDT
Anyone have access to a sand blasting cabinet in the Durham/Chapel HIll area that they wouldn't mind my using?
It cannot be a bead blaster. Every one I know has a bead blaster, but with what I am doing it says specifically not to bead blast.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone have access to a sand blasting cabinet in the Durham/Chapel HIll area that they wouldn't mind my using?
It cannot be a bead blaster. Every one I know has a bead blaster, but with what I am doing it says specifically not to bead blast.
View Quote

I can blast stuff in the Concord area.  It's not my sand blaster, but I have access to it when I want.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:45:44 AM EDT
[#2]
You'remixing up terminology.  Bead blasting and sand blasting are one in the same.  Media blasting is another term as well.

Sand blasting is VERY VERY dangerous.  It is highly recommended NOT to use silica based sand to do any media blasting.  Beads (glass) are the preferred media as is aluminum oxide, as well as some organic media options.  Silica is very dangerous when smashed into tiny little pieces.  Those pieces end up in your lungs and will cause major health issues later down the road.  A blasting cabinet isn't enough to use sand as the media.  You need a full respirator setup, and you need to properly dispose of the sand.

Do some research into this if you don't believe me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'remixing up terminology.  Bead blasting and sand blasting are one in the same.  Media blasting is another term as well.

Sand blasting is VERY VERY dangerous.  It is highly recommended NOT to use silica based sand to do any media blasting.  Beads (glass) are the preferred media as is aluminum oxide, as well as some organic media options.  Silica is very dangerous when smashed into tiny little pieces.  Those pieces end up in your lungs and will cause major health issues later down the road.  A blasting cabinet isn't enough to use sand as the media.  You need a full respirator setup, and you need to properly dispose of the sand.

View Quote

The instructions say to use aluminum oxide as the media.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 7:06:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK...then your friend's media blasters are perfect for the job.  You just have to change out the media.  Does it say which grit to use?  70 grit is cheap and common.  220 grit gets more expensive and usually has to be ordered online and shipped in 50lb incirments.

You can get 220 grit in 2 lb incriments at Harbor Freight, but they want $10 each...and it's marketed for glass etching (white aluminum oxide) which likely adds a premium.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top