Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 3:42:43 PM EDT
I'm moving back to Texas.  Looking at possibly settling in the San Angelo area.  Need some feedback.  Nice town?  Is the area Conservative or Liberal?  I've got a few job prospects lined up but nothing set in stone.  If not San Angelo, anyone have a suggestion for the western side of the state?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
My  son and daughter live there and I lived there for a while. I like it. It has a small town atmosphere for what is a relatively big city. Not certain, but I understand that there are many retired military living there. There is a college and an air force base. I did not find it liberal, but others may know better. I would live there if I could find a job that pays OK.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm moving back to Texas.  Looking at possibly settling in the San Angelo area.  Need some feedback.  Nice town?  Is the area Conservative or Liberal?  I've got a few job prospects lined up but nothing set in stone.  If not San Angelo, anyone have a suggestion for the western side of the state?

Thanks
View Quote

It has a mixture of liberals and conservatives...  Angelo State University and Lackland AFB are two of the biggest cultural influences on the area.  I'd say it tends more to the conservative than the liberal though even though there are more African Americans and poor people than you'd expect and about as many hispanic.  All in all it isn't a bad town, I've spent some time there.  Fort Concho (historical) is kind of fun to visit.  The Dead Horse Saloon is a good place to see some live music.  My wife have discussed going there if we eventually decide we can't handle Austin becoming too big any more.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a big deal, but it is Goodfellow AFB.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:58:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Lived here about 15-16 years now.
Overall it's a mix in political terms.
When the ballots are read though the vote goes conservative by a large margin.
White and Hispanic make up the majority of the population it's a mix of people.
As already stated, Angelo State University and Goodfellow AFB helps with the diversity.

Oil boom has greatly pumped up the economy, as well as traffic accidents.

San Angelo grows on you or least it did me.

We don't have all the activities that larger cities have, but we are right under a 100k city limit population, not sure about the entire county.
I live out in the county myself.

Downtown is booming, lots of clubs, restaurants and shops.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, If I don't know, I'll find out for you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:11:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Abilene reporting in.  You cant go wrong in SA or Abilene if you have a fami. Both are great places if youve got kiddos or are planning it.
If you are young and single, and you want night life.........its getting better up here (cant speak for SA) but its still not DFW or Austin
Still shit tons better than anything west of here.  No offense to my brothers in Midland or Odessa, but.....yeah.  
Abilene/SA is as far west as I would dare go, unless I went full desert.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I grew up here.  I went to school in Miles but our ranch's zip code is San Angelo.  I now work in Angelo as well.  As was said oil activity is really bringing jobs to the area.  There is more traffic than there was even three years ago but it isn't at Midland/Odessa levels yet.

How old are you, what's the family situation like, what fields are you look at jobs in?  I am 28 but married (thank God). If you are a single twenty-something guy the town isn't that great.

I am probably pretty biased but I love the town and people.  PM me if you want and I'll try to answer any other questions you have.

ETA: You said you were moving back to Texas, where in Texas did you live previously? Angelo is very much different than East Texas.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the input.  I lived in the DFW area for awhile.  Went back a few years ago and was shocked how things had changed (for the worse).  Ft. Worth and Arlington was still nice but way too much traffic for my liking.  My Missouri wife has finally decided she's ready to move to Texas if I promised her nicer weather and better schools.  West Texas seemes perfect.  The heat is comparable to what we have in SWMO but a hell of a lot less humidity.  Also a lot less snow, ice and subfreezing temperatures.

My wife and I are in are late 30s, early 40s.  I'm open to most anything job wise.  I've worked in Social Services, Security, Shipping.  My wife is a healthcare receptionist.  Daughter is 14 and currently home schooled due to the crappy public schools in Springfield.  The plan so far is for me to find a job in SA and a cheap place to live while the wife stays in MO and gets the house ready to sell.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
No offense to my brothers in Midland or Odessa
View Quote
None taken here. This place just sucks big time right now. Ready for the oil boom to bust or at least slow down.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#9]
There are " Now Hiring " banners on a lot of the oil related industries fences around town.
If your looking for work in this field you should have no problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top