Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2004 6:49:05 PM EDT
I live in TX and am planning to buy handgun from individual in CA.
Our understanding is that CA resident can ship gun via non USPS to TX resident's FFL holder with bill of sale from CA resident to TX resident.
TX FFL then logs in receipt and has TX resident complete government forms.

Question has arisen as to whether CA resident must deliver gun to CA FFL to ship to TX FFL.

Any of you folks in CA in the know about this, and if so, can you provide source of information?
Have been looking at CA attorney general site but can't seem to find an answer.
Also looked at ATF site.

Thanks in advance, and my condolences to all you CA residents having to sell off your toys.
But us Texans appreciate the good deals.

Thanks
DMOS
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#1]
FFL to FFL.

That is how I have bought my out of state guns. My FFL would never accept a handgun from a non ffl shipper.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#2]
This should be dependent on your state's laws.  What your ffl will do is another matter entirely.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
It's legal but depends more on if your FFL will take it. Ask him how you can buy a gun from a private party in CA. Don't give your FFL any ideas, just ask. Some will, some won't and some who don't know will back out rather than look it up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback.
This has turned into something of a difficult circumstance because my FFL does not know the law sufficiently, but it appears he is going to proceed. All the frustration so the seller can save $20. Next time, I;ll just kick in another $20 and be done with it.

Altho legal, I would advise all in the same circumstance to insist on the FFL to FFL because all seem to accept it.

Thanks for the advise and support guys.

DMOS
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Shit He's got Federal books! Should have State as well. Ask him if YOU can look it up

He needs to comply with Federal & Texas laws, the seller needs to comply with CA & Fed.

If you really want you can look up CA gun laws here:
caag.state.ca.us/firearms/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top