Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/16/2006 3:57:25 PM EDT
Noticed on my way around Redmond/Prineville/Madras today that the sage rats were out in force. Sorry, I don't know of good places to go shoot them as all I do is work.

NMSight
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:09:04 PM EDT
Ohh! Just in time for the .22 cans.!!!

I love shooting Squeaks!!!

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:18:34 PM EDT
They were out briefly here, but it's back to near zero temps and snow, so they'll go back into hiding.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:25:46 PM EDT
Oh man, I missed out on going the last couple years because other people were having conflicts with work and whatnot last year. I'm not going to let that happen this year. I'll drive my ass down alone if I have to!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:31:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By EKinOR:
They were out briefly here, but it's back to near zero temps and snow, so they'll go back into hiding.

Yeah, I was gonna say. They may have been out for a bit but they will be back hiding with this cold snap we are about to have.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:22:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:55:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By petagunner:
Didn't Bi-mart have .22 on sale the other day? May have to go check that out

I think they had the Thunderbolt on sale, but I don't care too much for the exposed lead stuff. Doesn't seem to always work that great in my semi-autos. I just stick to the Golden Bullets.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:17:32 PM EDT
Sounds like fun but the 4 degrees it was this morning (with the sun shinning) here in bend I couldn't convince anyone to go out. This month sucks haven't even made it out to cossa
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:30:05 PM EDT
Yeah, I haven't seen any for a few days either. Course I've been in the valley since Friday..............

It's supposed to warm up by mid-week when I get back home; maybe they'll be back out some by then.

NMSight
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:30:32 PM EDT
Any news on the rat situation? May make a trip that way next weekend.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:31:43 PM EDT
Bringing up an old thread here. How's the weather/rats looking for this weekend? I've got a friend who has to go to Bend for some business and I'm gonna tag along and see if we can find some sage rats. Or maybe head to Christmas Vally for Rabbits?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:47:00 PM EDT
cape, they are out down here. I've been shooting them when I get out. some of the fields are just covered with those little squeekers. If you ever sack up and come this way, I'll take ya out!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:40:38 PM EDT
Yeah, I saw quite a few Sunday morning on the way to church and have seen more since. Weather hasn't been anything fantastic the last few days but they should be coming out more each day now.

NMSight
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:20:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MEDICMAN29:
cape, they are out down here. I've been shooting them when I get out. some of the fields are just covered with those little squeekers. If you ever sack up and come this way, I'll take ya out!

Where abouts is "down here"?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:51:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:53:02 AM EDT
Sig-
"I couldn't convince anyone to go out. This month sucks haven't even made it out to cossa"

E-mail sent.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:54:12 PM EDT
down here is lakeview, 95 miles east of klamath falls, and yes the rat shootin' is outstanding.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:16:00 PM EDT
Hmm, don't know if I can convince Brian to drive out to Lakeview. Maybe another time tho.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:33:17 PM EDT
Weekend after next is looking good for me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:27:27 AM EDT
give me a date, and I'll start lining up fields to shoot in. I've got a few here on the oregon side and a couple on the california side, with plenty of squeeks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:12:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MEDICMAN29:
give me a date, and I'll start lining up fields to shoot in. I've got a few here on the oregon side and a couple on the california side, with plenty of squeeks.

Is the invite open to others.. If so any weekend.. Im in medford so it a short trip..
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:26:50 PM EDT
Honestly, I'd like to come out. But, I've only got the AR and 10/22. Is this sufficient? I'm able to hold 1MOA reliably on both. And both are suppressed which makes it fun.

And of course, if you're prefer to have only a few people rather than 8 gun-toting rednecks and yuppies, I can understand that too!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:08:05 PM EDT
I'm in if someone else drives. Hint Hint.

Anything more than a .22LR is kind of a waste on squeaks. Also the bigger the noise the longer they hide after a shot. .22 supressed would be ideal even if using supersonic ammo.

I haven't been squeak hunting since I was down in K-falls for college. Any chance of seeing some rock chucks off to the side of the fields? Now there worthy of a .223 and a 150 yard shot.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:23:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Noxspector:
I'm in if someone else drives. Hint Hint.

Anything more than a .22LR is kind of a waste on squeaks. Also the bigger the noise the longer they hide after a shot. .22 supressed would be ideal even if using supersonic ammo.

I haven't been squeak hunting since I was down in K-falls for college. Any chance of seeing some rock chucks off to the side of the fields? Now there worthy of a .223 and a 150 yard shot.

How about birdshot from a 12-gauage?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:57:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:25:50 PM EDT
I've never been in a situation that I needed more than a .22 for squeaks. If they started to get thin or beyond what I was able to take out and kill with a single hit, I just relocated a few hundred yards closer to the action. If you want to spend money on a bigger caliber, OK.

Prarie Dogs and Rock Chucks are different.

I'm sure if WS4LIF would lone out his .50 (if he still has it) I could make a mess of a squeak. To me part of the fun of squeaking is doing it without ear protection and BSing with the guys your with.

Hell, when I was serious about it my friend and I would pack a portable table with chairs and sun umbrella and sit in the middle of a field all day. Sure we'd have to change the direction of the umbrella once in while to keep the sun off us.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:34:47 PM EDT
Cape are we going to get the girls together to shoot sage rats this year or just talk about it? Maybe down by Boyce Correl near Madras.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:04:03 PM EDT
Can I go if I'm one of the girls?!
Top Top