Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 10:05:18 AM EDT
I know we have some dirt bike riders around here and this is info that you folks may find interesting.
======================================================================
New ordinance would require off-roaders to purchase permit to ride on private land

SAN BERNARDINO -- The county's Code Enforcement Division has nearly completed an ordinance requiring off-road vehicle riders to purchase a special permit to ride on private property

Monday, February 6, 2006
New ordinance would require off-roaders to purchase permit to ride on private land

By TRACIE TROHA

Staff Writer

SAN BERNARDINO -- The county's Code Enforcement Division has nearly completed an ordinance requiring off-road vehicle riders to purchase a special permit to ride on private property.

In a final draft of the ordinance, property owners must obtain a permit if 10 or more OHV riders use their property.

Code Enforcement Division Chief Randy Rogers said the ordinance would allow the county to better regulate OHV use.

"This (special permit) is unique to our ordinance," Rogers said. "We've looked at several different ordinances and we haven't seen it."

The ordinance has been in development for the past year with assistance from "stakeholders," made up of a group of people who were both for and against the ordinance. Several community meetings were also held to review and discuss the ordinance. Roger said a final draft was sent to the stakeholders and, if it meets their approval, it will be placed before the Board of Supervisors in mid-March.

Rogers said overall he has received positive responses from the draft.

"The ordinance is effective and fair and any legal rider should embrace it," said Philip Klasky, one of the stakeholders.

"People who were supposed to be our adversaries were working with us in a constructive manner," he said. "This is not going to be a dilemma for the supervisors because of the stakeholder process."

Stakeholder Jason Fried said he liked the idea of a permit because some illegal OHV riders have "no respect for the local community."

"Local residents will have the ability to say 'these people are causing a nuisance'," Fried said. "If they are not following the rules, then they can't ride and they could get a ticket. It's a way to crack down in irresponsible riding."

Ed Waldheim, president of the California Off-Road Vehicle Association, said the organization is also working with the county on the ordinance.

"Personally, I would not want to have to get a permit," Waldheim said. "There are already state rules in place."

Larry Robertson, the CORVA legislative director, said he views the ordinance as a limiting people's rights to do what they want on private property.

"Most off-road vehicle riders are respectful," Robertson said. "There are so many regulations already, there is no need for more."

Rogers said other aspects of the ordinance include noise standards and a "good neighbors policy" requiring OHV riders to not make a nuisance and be respectful to neighbors.

"As soon as OHV riders quit being a good neighbor and start making dust and being disrespectful, then we will handle it," Rogers said.

A copy of the draft copy of the ordinance is available online at http://www.co.sanbernardino.ca.us/landuseservices/Code_Enforcement/default.htm
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I know we have some dirt bike riders around here and this is info that you folks may find interesting.
======================================================================

SAN BERNARDINO -- The county's Code Enforcement Division has nearly completed an ordinance requiring off-road vehicle riders to purchase a special permit to ride on private property

Monday, February 6, 2006

By TRACIE TROHA

Staff Writer

SAN BERNARDINO -- The county's Code Enforcement Division has nearly completed an ordinance requiring off-road vehicle riders to purchase a special permit to ride on private property.

In a final draft of the ordinance, property owners must obtain a permit if 10 or more OHV riders use their property.

Code Enforcement Division Chief Randy Rogers said the ordinance would allow the county to better regulate OHV use.

"This (special permit) is unique to our ordinance," Rogers said. "We've looked at several different ordinances and we haven't seen it."

The ordinance has been in development for the past year with assistance from "stakeholders," made up of a group of people who were both for and against the ordinance. Several community meetings were also held to review and discuss the ordinance. Roger said a final draft was sent to the stakeholders and, if it meets their approval, it will be placed before the Board of Supervisors in mid-March.

Rogers said overall he has received positive responses from the draft.

"The ordinance is effective and fair and any legal rider should embrace it," said Philip Klasky, one of the stakeholders.

"People who were supposed to be our adversaries were working with us in a constructive manner," he said. "This is not going to be a dilemma for the supervisors because of the stakeholder process."

Stakeholder Jason Fried said he liked the idea of a permit because some illegal OHV riders have "no respect for the local community."

"Local residents will have the ability to say 'these people are causing a nuisance'," Fried said. "If they are not following the rules, then they can't ride and they could get a ticket. It's a way to crack down in irresponsible riding."
Ed Waldheim, president of the California Off-Road Vehicle Association, said the organization is also working with the county on the ordinance.

"Personally, I would not want to have to get a permit," Waldheim said. "There are already state rules in place."

Larry Robertson, the CORVA legislative director, said he views the ordinance as a limiting people's rights to do what they want on private property.

"Most off-road vehicle riders are respectful," Robertson said. "There are so many regulations already, there is no need for more."

Rogers said other aspects of the ordinance include noise standards and a "good neighbors policy" requiring OHV riders to not make a nuisance and be respectful to neighbors.

"As soon as OHV riders quit being a good neighbor and start making dust and being disrespectful, then we will handle it," Rogers said.

A copy of the draft copy of the ordinance is available online at http://www.co.sanbernardino.ca.us/landuseservices/Code_Enforcement/default.htm

Why would a permit make any difference? If they are going to bust you for something permit or not they still will.  I already have to drive an hour to go riding because they keep taking away all the riding areas. Just more clamping down on us
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
So, let me get this straight:

You gotta cough up some money for the .gov, to ride on someone else's privately owned land?

ETA: And you gotta cough up more money if people like riding on YOUR land?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Why couldn't the land owner already restrict the use of his/her land to his guests?  Then again it might make it easier for a lndowner to control his property when he isn't around. You don't have a permit you are definitely trespassing, without the LEO having to verify with landowner etc.

Could be a pain in the butt but if you are having problems with offroaders it might be a godsend.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
So what Im seeing here is a way for the gov to regulate even more what we do on our land. I also think they are trying to create more revenue. why should we purchase a permit? why cant we do our own thing on own own property? also what happens if your neighbor gets pissed at you? does this mean they can call the cops because they have a grudge?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
WTF?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#6]
This is just silly!!!  It's bad enought that I can't go a day at work without some government agency or another breathing down my neck and threatening to fine me with this or that.  Now I can't even enjoy my weekends without the state govenment in my shadow???
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
the_REAL_soe_girl & shopkeep: Welcome, new members to ARFCOM, ie AR15.COM.

I'm afraid the way its going to be like this in the forseeable future.  The nanny govt is going to tell you what to do and when to do it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Does this mean I have to get a permit to ride on my own property??
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does this mean I have to get a permit to ride on my own property??

It looks like it.

I really like these quotes:

Stakeholder Jason Fried said he liked the idea of a permit because some illegal OHV riders have "no respect for the local community.'

So someone who is already not riding legally, is going to go out and buy a permit? That sounds as intelligent as putting a tax on guns, to keep criminals from illegally acquiring them....

Great, so the legal riders get an additional tax to reward them for being law abiding citizens?

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#11]
It's probably a way for them to try to go after people for "noise polution" in a similar way that they are trying to close down shooting ranges as homes develop around established shooting clubs/ranges.

People don't like jet skis not because the numbers of them on the lake but because it breaks the serenity of their peaceful solitude.

Just another way for one minority group to impose their will upon others who are trying to use their private property as they see fit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Riverside County is currently proposing to do something similar. The thing is, according to a sound tech I talked to (court-certified sound expert), the way they're going about it will land them in court immediately, as they're not even following their own (county) rules.

He predicted a class-action suit, with the AMA, ORBA, Jeremy McGrath and Rick Johnson (the last two are land-owners in RC, and they bought the acreage specifically to have a place to ride/train) leading the way.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Exactly as their testing methods are not following the letter of the law.  That's more difficult to do.  They need to set up spots where they can test said vehicles in the scientific manner prescribed.  They can't just pull you over with a sound meter and say you're too loud. I bet a lot of people don't contest this.

Quoted:
Riverside County is currently proposing to do something similar. The thing is, according to a sound tech I talked to (court-certified sound expert), the way they're going about it will land them in court immediately, as they're not even following their own (county) rules.

He predicted a class-action suit, with the AMA, ORBA, Jeremy McGrath and Rick Johnson (the last two are land-owners in RC, and they bought the acreage specifically to have a place to ride/train) leading the way.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I just wanted to add that you San Bernadino residents need to vote these idiots out of office.  I'm glad I ride in Kern.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Having to live next to a guy who has 150+ acres and decided he would make a track right behind 3 houses, then allow 8-10 bikes to ride all day. I can see how the rights of  people are getting smaller due to the " I can do anything I want and too hell with you" people. Edit to add- I use to be a big fan of MX until this, now I gaurentee I would vote YES on anything that would prevent this again. Food for thought before you ruin the sport for others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top