Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:35:41 PM EDT
A few years ago I had a Bushmaster stolen from my old apartment. I have since moved and was wondering if someone knew of a way to run the serial number to see if it was ever recovered. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I can assure you that your bushy would never make it back home ever again even though it's been recovered.....Stolen AR's+PRK=.my cousin's colt flattop got stolen 2yrs ago and he's in the the same shoes you are.  you may just have to look towards a prk neutered style AR.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
If it was registered, I suppose you could hypothetically buy an 80% lower, build it up to a fully functional AR with removable mag, and just stamp in Bushmaster and your registered serial number into the lower.  This way, if some LEO ever checks to see if it's registered and legal, you'll have the correct paperwork.  Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If it was registered, I suppose you could hypothetically buy an 80% lower, build it up to a fully functional AR with removable mag, and just stamp in Bushmaster and your registered serial number into the lower.  This way, if some LEO ever checks to see if it's registered and legal, you'll have the correct paperwork.  Just something to think about.

I wish that this was true
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#4]
That's all good until the thief uses the REAL gun with the REAL serial number to commit crimes with.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Originaly posted by: KA3B
That's all good until the thief uses the REAL gun with the REAL serial number to commit crimes with.

But in a Bulistics test woun't he be cleared if they try to pin it on him?
Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just my 2 cents.

Even if a "ballistics" check was performed, he would have to explain why there are 2 copies of his evil rifle with the same serial number..  I'm betting that he would be explaining it from the police station, and have years to perfect his story in San Quentin.

Plain and simple, any registered banned weapons you own should be under lock and key in a ~1000 pound safe, if you want to keep them that is.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess I'll be looking for an 80% lower project. I wondered about ballistic testing with the AR style rifles. Different upper receivers.........reasonable doubt......hmmm.

Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:24:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just my 2 cents.

Even if a "ballistics" check was performed, he would have to explain why there are 2 copies of his evil rifle with the same serial number..  I'm betting that he would be explaining it from the police station, and have years to perfect his story in San Quentin.

Plain and simple, any registered banned weapons you own should be under lock and key in a ~1000 pound safe, if you want to keep them that is.

that's why my colt is just a safe queen while my fab&vulcan are the ones to go out and do the dirty work.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I can assure you that your bushy would never make it back home ever again even though it's been recovered.....Stolen AR's+PRK=.my cousin's colt flattop got stolen 2yrs ago and he's in the the same shoes you are.  you may just have to look towards a prk neutered style AR.

So are you implying that one or more people will violate the state laws dealing with the return of recovered stolen firearms?  Other than ignorance why would you say that? Look up various Penal Code sections on Theft, embezzlement, conversion, conspiracy, etc.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#11]
 I have a friend in narcotics that is in charge of returning the stolen property they recover.He busts his ass trying to get guns back to people. They recovered a 357 that was stolen 17 years ago and the owner had moved all around the country. He finaly located him in Texas and got the gun back to him.

I would definately check on the status of your bushmaster. My wifes sig was stolen, about a month later I had a buddy run it and it came back clear. I called the det. that had the case he checked and somehow no one entered it in the system as stolen.Got it back 5 years later.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And they would point guns at you for possessing a stolen gun.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I guess I'll be looking for an 80% lower project. I wondered about ballistic testing with the AR style rifles. Different upper receivers.........reasonable doubt......hmmm.

Thanks for the replies!

Go to the Law Enforcement Agency that took the stolen report and ask them to run the serial number.
Ask for the Detective assinged to the case (Which was probably inactivated 2 1/2 years ago) to check in to whether or not it was ever located.  It is your property and you are entitled to it back if it was recovered.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks everyone for all of your input! Here's a quote from CA DOJ regarding the return of a stolen assault rifle........

"Dear Mr. ********:

Your lawfully registered assault weapon would be returned to you, if
recovered by law enforcement, after its use as evidence had been served.
I have excerpted the portion of the penal code that addresses this
portion of the law.  The fact that the weapon is an assault weapon does
not change the requirement to return to weapon to you.

Pursuant to 12028(c)..." If any weapon has been stolen and is
thereafter recovered from the thief or his or her transferee, or is used
in such a manner as to constitute a nuisance pursuant to subdivision (a)
or (b) without the prior knowledge of its lawful owner that it would be
so used, it shall not be so offered for sale but shall be restored to
the lawful owner, as soon as its use as evidence has been served, upon
his or her identification of the weapon and proof of ownership. . ."

Sally S. Carney, Field Representative
Firearms Division"

I guess I'll be making some phone calls. Ya never know, I might just get lucky. In all fairness, Sac County Sheriff's Dept. recovered one of my hand guns that was also stolen. After another background check and about a year's worth of red tape (agency transfer) I got it back again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top