Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 9:49:20 PM EDT
As some of you know, I have been embroiled in a pretty nasty divorce for about 3 years now.

Par for the course, my ex got a restraining order against me and the courts rubberstamped her bullshit.

I sold all of my guns and didn't even touch one until I thought the restraining order died a natural death.  She originally got the order in september of 03 and it was set to expire on oct. 29th of 04.

Well, it did and after a court date on Nov 2 of 04, I think I am fine.  On Nov 22 or 23, I visit Clint Carrico to purchase two AR lowers happily thinking that the restraining order is long gone.

I get delayed, and when I call back on the 4th day of not hearing anything, Clint tells me I was denied.  WTF?!?!

Two days later I get somthing from my attorney in the mail stating that I am once again subject to yet another restraining order......and yet once again, I have done absolutly nothing to deserve said order, but the judge once again rubberstamped it.  Fuck.  

So I went on life per usual, always wondering when the feebs or the atf is going to swoop down on my for lying on a 4473 about being subject to a restraining order and all.  But as time goes by, nothing comes of it.

Then, in march of this year, we have a "mediation hearing", where we sit down with a judge (different from the one who rubberstamped the orders) and we talk through things and try to figure the custody aspects and the like without actually being a courtroom type setting.  The Lady judge(it was a guy judge who rubberstamped the things) is very nice, helpfull, listens very well and while she openly tells me she really dosn't like guns (because my ex tried to beat me to death in the divorce proceeding with the gun issue), but that she can see that I am a very competent and responsible individual and she has no problems with me owning them and that this issue to her is a non-starter.  I tell her about the restraining orders and how they have been used against me and how once, right after the second one came into being(right before I tried to buy the lowers) my ex even invited me over to pick up the kids knowing full well that there was a new restraining order and that I had no idea it existed.

At this point, the judge looks to the Guardian ad Litem and asks about the RO's and if we should get rid of them.  The GAL flatly replies "The RO never should have been there in the first place."  SCORE!!!!

I tell the judge about my concerns regarding filling out the 4473 and how I was an accidental liar on a federal form, etc, etc.  She assures me that everything will be alright and promptly gets the paperwork set up for making the RO's dissapear.

Fast forward to today.

I had ordered a Sig P-226 from Eagle Firearms here on the boards.  I figured that even with the RO's being gone, because of the last F-up, that the feds would probably not have their computers updated and flat out deny the purchase from my FFL (Rainier Guns in Lakewood...Great guy to deal with by the way) and that I would have to go through the appeals process.

The gun arrives during last week, and I finally get a day off (after working the last 12 days straight) and I head to Rainier guns.  I tell the shopkeep about what happened and I am completely honest so he dosn't think I am screwing him over.  He nods and says okay and runs the NICS.

When he starts writing down the approval number I am staring dumbly at the 4473.  When he actually told me that I was good to go I asked him if he was fucking with me.  I couldn't believe it for abou 20 seconds straight.  I was absolutly floored.

I am going to call that Lady Judges office on Monday and give her a huge assed thank you for making sure that all was taken care of and fixed.  She listened to me, helped me (because at the time I no longer had an attny) and took care of business.  Because of that Lady, I can actually see my kids now and have a life other than living in fear of what my ex is going to do next.

If anybody wants to know, She is a judge in the family court system in Thurston County and I only know her by Judge Pomeroy.   Awesome lady.

Thats my amazing story of the day.

Chris

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
 Good deal, my cousin was married to a psycho bitch that did tha same shit to him with RO's then tells someone at work that a man(no one knows who) is her ex(my cousin) and they call the cops but he takes off , you know the story, now after all the BS of her doing this sh!t he lives in a different country. Glad someone got a good shake.

DD
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:53:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm glad to hear you finally had some justice come to you from the system.  I've heard of instances of psycho bitches wielding the restraining order system as a tool to empower themselves over their ex husbands.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Good for you Chris!  I'm glad this shitty chapter of your life is now behind you.

The restraining order BS in this state (and all other states) needs to be addressed.  It has gotten way out of hand.  My wife's father had one slapped on him, for no reason, because his bitch wife is trying to take all of his assets in a divorce.  He isn't a gun owner, but it is still total bullshit.

There needs to be way more review and "checks and balances" in the issuance of restraining orders.  Currently there is none.  All that needs to happen is for a woman to ASK for one because she is fearful, and BAM! it is issued.  No opportunity for the restrainee to respond or address the issues (or non-issues in the typical case.)  

This shit just pisses me off to no end....

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There needs to be way more review and "checks and balances" in the issuance of restraining orders.  Currently there is none.  All that needs to happen is for a woman to ASK for one because she is fearful, and BAM! it is issued.  No opportunity for the restrainee to respond or address the issues (or non-issues in the typical case.)  

Not only that but look at a the flip side. If he really is a threat, a piece of paper is only a piece of paper, and provides no real protection nor security. If they want to kill you, paper wont stop them.

Either way, anything that happens after the RO violation is already illegal

End result: Its only a tool to fuck over someone you are really pissed at. And for us gun folk it has serious rammifications.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not only that but look at a the flip side. If he really is a threat, a piece of paper is only a piece of paper, and provides no real protection nor security. If they want to kill you, paper wont stop them.

Either way, anything that happens after the RO violation is already illegal

End result: Its only a tool to fuck over someone you are really pissed at. And for us gun folk it has serious rammifications.

Big +1...

I cant tell you how many bitchy women I talk to a day that are out to just use the RO as a tool to fuck with the guys....

Yesterday I had a lady that called in a violation because the guy was in the drive-thru of Taco Time....The best part is....He was in front of her by 2 cars!...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yesterday I had a lady that called in a violation because the guy was in the drive-thru of Taco Time....The best part is....He was in front of her by 2 cars!...

Sounds like she was stalking him to get a violation, same stuff my cousins exwife bitch did.

DD
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'd bet dollars to donuts that the judge that rubberstamped your RO was Chris Wickham.

Wow....you hit that nail on the head.

Give the man a medal.

Yup, none other than.

He was a prick to me several times in court, and he seemed to enjoy fucking with my attorney.

If things get bad again, I just might ask you for that lady lawyers info.  Couldn't hurt.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Chris,
   Glad to hear you got that squared away. Probably some grey, if not less hair later. Thanks for the "pro", Carrico

Nope, so far no grey.

Things are very much squared away.

Enough that I just might be giving you a call and going down and getting those damn lowers finally...

Hell, if your not busy next saturday am, I will be avalible to head down and pick up a couple if you are willing.

What sucked was that after the first deal was delayed, I recieved notice from my attny. about the new RO.  What pissed me off more than the denial on NICS was the fact that just days before I went to your place, my ex had called late one night complaining about the kids being sick and staying up all night, etc, and wanted me to come down to her place and pick them up and watch them for the weekend so she could work the weekend.  

To this day I am not sure why I didn't go get them, but I am very glad I didn't because she DID know about the new RO at the time and knew I didn't.

I told Pomeroy about that one and the GAL and everybody got pissed at my ex for pulling that little stunt.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top