Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 4:03:06 PM EDT
Hey.
I recently purchased a Chinese SKS which did not have the bayonet. Not a big deal to me, but the shop owner told me that the bayonet was illegal.

I know I've seen SKS's at other CT dealers with bayonets.
Also, the SKS dosn't fit the CT definition of an assualt weapon, since it doesn't have a detachable mag.

So is it OK to fit a bayonet on my gun?
I have no personal interest in bayonets, but thought it would give the gun a more authentic apperance.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I am, by no stretch, an expert on the SKS and 922(r)...

IIRC, the Chinese SKS was imported without the bayonet and installing one could violate 922(r) - Import Ban. It is not a matter of state law, but fed.

Please correct me, if I am all wet here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not an expert on this interpretation, either. Therefore please do NOT take my comment(s) to be a recommendation or advice of any kind.

My own understanding of the SKS bayo rule is that it is a Federal, not state ruling that for some odd reason, only applies to Chinese SKS rifles and not Russian, Yugoslavian or other eastern european models.

At least that is my understanding from dealers, in CT where Yugo M-59/66 SKS have been sold
WITH the folding bayonet in-tact and displayed that way as well.

If this is wrong, then every gun shop in CT is in violation of federal law because the Yugo SKS has been sold that way in every gun store in CT by the thousands.

With regard to the 1993 CT AW ban CGS 53-202: the SKS is NOT, repeat NOT an "Assault Weapon" under the law.

Again, the absolute STUPIDITY of these f-ing laws is amazing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies guys.

My SKS isn't 'vintage' as far as I can tell. It dosn't have traditional markings.
The serial starts with 89 which tells me it was manufactured in 1989?
Imported by Armco? (stamped on the reciever.)

Anyway, maybe a mod could slide this over to the SKS forum (dosn't seem to be a CT topic)?

I would really like to know what I can legally do.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#4]
IMO, the Chinese SKS is fine just the way it is. Great solid, inexpensive 100 yard plinkers.

The most useful accessory I have found for the SKS are the 10 rd strippers sold in greasy plastic bags from TAPCO. A bundle of those and a case of Wolf and you're set for a weekend!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top