Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 6:05:32 PM EDT
if i cut the bayonet lug off from Yugo SKS,,(Remove 1 Evil Feature)..then can i add a thumbhole stock or folding stock???(replacing 1 evil feature with other evil feature)??  

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
no
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
They bayonet has nothing to do with it.  The bayonet is not an evil feature.  The SKS does not have a detachable magazine (except a few particular models) so evil feautres should not apply.  If you do put a stock with pistol grip, you are subject to federal law and must replace a certain number of parts with american made ones.  That is my understanding, I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#3]
does anybody know for sure why making a sks have a detachable mag is illegal if it is not because of the bayonet lug
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:23:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
does anybody know for sure why making a sks have a detachable mag is illegal if it is not because of the bayonet lug

It probably has to do something with this:

12276. As used in this chapter, "assault weapon" shall mean the following designated semiautomatic firearms:
(a) All of the following specified rifles:
(1) All AK series including, but not limited to, the models identified as follows:
(A) Made in China AK, AKM, AKS, AK47, AK47S, 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S.
(B) Norinco 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S.
(C) Poly Technologies AKS and AK47.
(D) MAADI AK47 and ARM.
(2) UZI and Galil.
(3) Beretta AR-70.
(4) CETME Sporter.
(5) Colt AR-15 series.
(6) Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1, Max 2, AR 100, and AR110 C.
(7) Fabrique Nationale FAL, LAR, FNC, 308 Match, and Sporter.
(8) MAS 223.
(9) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, and HK-PSG-1
(10) The following MAC types:
(A) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11.
(B) SWD Incorporated M11.
(11) SKS with detachable magazine.
(12) SIG AMT, PE-57, SG 550, and SG 551.
(13) Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48.
(14) Sterling MK-6.
(15) Steyer AUG.
(16) Valmet M62S, M71S, and M78S.
(17) Armalite AR-180.
(18) Bushmaster Assault Rifle.
(19) Calico M-900.
(20) J&R ENG M-68.
(21) Weaver Arms Nighthawk.
(b) All of the following specified pistols:
(1) UZI.
(2) Encom MP-9 and MP-45.
(3) The following MAC types:
(A) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11.
(B) SWD Incorporated M-11.
(C) Advance Armament Inc. M-11.
(D) Military Armament Corp. Ingram M-11.
(4) Intratec TEC-9.
(5) Sites Spectre.
(6) Sterling MK-7.
(7) Calico M-950.
(8) Bushmaster Pistol.
(c) All of the following specified shotguns:
(1) Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12.
(2) Striker 12.
(3) The Streetsweeper type S/S Inc. SS/12.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:06:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

NeoWeird covered you, but if you teach a man to fish you will feed him for life.

That link is for California.  There is a Federal law, 922(r), that covers why you can't add "non-sporting" features to an imported semi-automatic rifle.  That's what Blacklisted was referring to.  The definitive write-up on 922(r) and the SKS is Survivor's SKS FAQ.  It's a long read, but definitely worthwhile, and applicable to AKs and Benellis as well.

- Mitch, SKS guy when not doing shotgun or Garand stuff
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It probably has to do something with this:

12276. As used in this chapter, "assault weapon" shall mean the following designated semiautomatic firearms:

(11) SKS with detachable magazine.

Is this legal, don't they have to specify by make and model?  It's like saying "FAL with detachable magazine" or "AR with detachable magazine"  SKS is generic for many manufacturers.

While we are on the subject.  Under AR receivers "Panther (all)" is listed based on the series.  I tend to believe they must again specify Panther and model number to ban it.  It's like saying "Colt (all)"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Is this legal, don't they have to specify by make and model?  It's like saying "FAL with detachable magazine" or "AR with detachable magazine"  SKS is generic for many manufacturers.

While we are on the subject.  Under AR receivers "Panther (all)" is listed based on the series.  I tend to believe they must again specify Panther and model number to ban it.  It's like saying "Colt (all)"

The Harrott ruling stipulates that AR and AK series have to be identified by make an model. There is no similar ruling for SKS "series". Why an SKS w/ detachable magazine is an assault weapon while a Mini-30 or M1A is not is beyond my understanding.

The Panther is a model made by DPMS, Inc. The AR/AK list says DPMS Panther (All). Any firearm (in a legal context the receiver is a firearm) made by DPMS with the model name Panther is classified as an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Because it's not an AR or AK.  Also, this was written by the legislature, not DOJ.

I do agree.  Harrott really requires make/model  to exactly determine what is listed.  I believe DOJ may clean up the old entries on Kasler list to be more accurate/descriptive.

The Harrott ruling stipulates that AR and AK series have to be identified by make and model.  There is no similar ruling for SKS "series". Why an SKS w/ detachable magazine is an assault weapon while a Mini-30 or M1A is not is beyond my understanding.

Harrott addressed just AR/AK series stuff.  It could be grounds for another case where other craziness on the AW list is addressed.  

Yes,  the legislature drew up its own list. Note that Springfield's Beretta BM59 is on there too.

Quoted:
The Panther is a model made by DPMS, Inc. The AR/AK list says DPMS Panther (All). Any firearm (in a legal context the receiver is a firearm) made by DPMS with the model name Panther is classified as an assault weapon.

I believe DOJ may well clean the Kasler list up in addition to listing new series members - esp given cactivity and Harrott.  

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#9]
so basically it is not because of features but it was banned because of name and its status as imported? because if you chopped the bayo lug and made it detachable mag then it would be like any other m1a/mini14..etc. correct?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
so basically it is not because of features but it was banned because of name and its status as imported? because if you chopped the bayo lug and made it detachable mag then it would be like any other m1a/mini14..etc. correct?

It is listed on the Roberti-Roos AW list. There is nothing that you can do about it period. If a SKS has a detachable magazine its outlawed. The only way you can own a unregistered SKS is with a fixed 10 round magazine. And the time you could register a SKS has long past. Nothing you can do will change this short of repealing the AWB in Kali.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Still no mention of bayonet lugs in either of the links posted above.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#12]
"SKS with detachable mag" was primarily targeted at the Chinese imported SKS that could take AK magazine, not quite exactly the duckbill magazines. however, using the duckbill mag will also fall into this catagoty, not to mention Federal 922(r). So... If you have one of those SKS that accept AK mag, you are suppose to turn those in in the 1999 buy-back program (Can't even register it); but if you modify your SKS that originally have 10rds fixed mag to the duckbill detachable mag, not only you are violating California law, you are violating Federal law as well. And from browsing the forum (check in AK-47 section of this forum, under SKS), there really aren't that many of US made SKS parts available to make your gun compliant to the 922(r), so keep your SKS the way it is would be the safest, legal-wise.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe DOJ may well clean the Kasler list up in addition to listing new series members - esp given cactivity and Harrott.  

Bill Wiese
San Jose

These questions are assuming DOJ will change "all" to specific names.

Hypothetical situation.  Someone owns a "DPMS Panther something" but missed the registration period.  The person still legally owns the rifle but its now kept out of state.  DOJ updates the list to specifically state "DPMS Panther something", can this person now register the rifle?

Yet another one: Someone owns a "DPMS Panther something2" but missed the registration period.  The person still legally owns the rifle but its now kept out of state.  DOJ updates the list but forgets to add "DPMS Panther something2".  (a)Can this person still register the rifle, and (b)if it's not registered, is it now a non-listed receiver?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top