Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/24/2006 6:30:59 AM EDT
'ello gov'nor...

I notice your reply to my post over in the Survival area, don't think I've seen many Brits over there. Prepardness in the US is important because of all the natural disasters we have here. I don't recall hearing much about natural disasters in the UK. Do you think that's the reason why survivorism/prepardness isn't as big in the UK?

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:18:19 AM EDT
Natural disaster in the UK involves snow over 2 inches or the wrong type of leaves on a railroad track.

Having said that we were getting some real bad floods the last few years before I moved over to the US.

Unfortunaly with the UK gun laws even in the most extreme situation being seen in public with anything even resembling a firearm can get you shot by a ARV (Police Armed Response Vehicle)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:06:19 AM EDT

It was only in the last 100 years or so that you have moved from a nation that had to fight to survive, (and I mean fighting the country and its wildlife as much as any human) to a mostly civilised countryside. We have had the luxury of a fairly comfortable climate, no hostile natives or bugs and beasties, and a countryside that has had over 2000 years of molding to make it as user friendly as possible.

As such the average person in the street has never had to do anything more demanding than go to the supermarket to get the most essential of supplies. They have been turned soft and now rely on the State or 'them' to fix every problem. When told that I have hunted with dogs, ferrets or the rifle/shotgun and actually eaten what I've killed, most of my work colleagues are shocked ("it's been living in the wilds, isn't it all dirty?" - or insert other daft comments of your choice, I've most likely heard them all).

Taffy lives in or near one of the few great outdoors areas in the country so probably knows more about this than most, even then he's never likely to be more than a handful of miles from a town or village. This is a small country with every amenity going to make life easy.

But we can live in the knowledge that in a SHTF situation most of the idiots will be selected against and those that know how to, will rise to the top of the Darwinian tree of life. Hopefully, I'll be better prepared than most to survive and I can rest assured that other survivors will most likely be people of similar disposition to myself and not a load of tree-hugging liberals.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:28:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Scope-eye:
It was only in the last 100 years or so that you have moved from a nation that had to fight to survive, (and I mean fighting the country and its wildlife as much as any human) to a mostly civilised countryside. We have had the luxury of a fairly comfortable climate, no hostile natives or bugs and beasties, and a countryside that has had over 2000 years of molding to make it as user friendly as possible.

As such the average person in the street has never had to do anything more demanding than go to the supermarket to get the most essential of supplies. They have been turned soft and now rely on the State or 'them' to fix every problem. When told that I have hunted with dogs, ferrets or the rifle/shotgun and actually eaten what I've killed, most of my work colleagues are shocked ("it's been living in the wilds, isn't it all dirty?" - or insert other daft comments of your choice, I've most likely heard them all).

Taffy lives in or near one of the few great outdoors areas in the country so probably knows more about this than most, even then he's never likely to be more than a handful of miles from a town or village. This is a small country with every amenity going to make life easy.

But we can live in the knowledge that in a SHTF situation most of the idiots will be selected against and those that know how to, will rise to the top of the Darwinian tree of life. Hopefully, I'll be better prepared than most to survive and I can rest assured that other survivors will most likely be people of similar disposition to myself and not a load of tree-hugging liberals.

A resounding +1 there!

And I suspect that the latter Tree Hugging liberals might make mighty good eatin'...........
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:36:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:48:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:34:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 5:38:00 PM EDT by Taffy223]
Joaqiun

I do lurk around the survival forum sometimes

Here, and my situation....well

There's no Tsunami/Zombie threat where i live but it's pretty rural and I'm only minutes(drive) away from civilization.

My preparedness is more about a bug in situation. We do have the occasional bad weather here and there's been a few very severe floods in the more remote costal Welsh villages. We have had 2 seperate occasions here when there were protests and strikes about fuel prices. Farmers and lorry/fuel tanker drivers went on strike. Because fuel ran low....media hype....more people went to buy fuel...leading to a fuel shortage here. I was only able to get fuel because my local village gas station would only sell gas to us locals......(it ain't what you know but who)
The knock on effect was that the major supermarkets were low on food because people were panic buying and there was actual logistical problems filling the shelves because there was no fuel/drivers to deliver the food due to the strikes.

My preparedness is only about being able to provide for my family the basics when everyone else will be relying on a logistic system that is not infalable.

So my actions are only to store food and water and a means of cooking. I'm on high ground so flooding is not a big problem. If I need to head for the hills I have an leo friend who I will meet up with and we will share food/shelter/water/expierience to get us through. We have discussed this between us.

Firearms is not a part of preparedness here. I've not considered this as my firearms can be taken from me by the authorities at any time. My firearms are limited to the restrictions of my FAC license and that's that.

I am aware of and have used other methods to trap food(snares) if my food hoard becomes depleted. I will not have to rely on a firearm, though it would be helpfull.

So again my preparedness only realy covers

Shelter.....Always No1 but I'm bugging in

1) Water (stored)
2) Food (stored)
3) method of cooking (stored)
4) Living of the land (after finishing stored food)...lots of sheep here...

TEOTWASKI Bug out location in place.

Sorry there's no huge list of pistols/rifles/rpg/claymores/tannerite/huge ammo stashes etc

I have a small attic...with a selection of US/UK rations, a few crates of bottled water and camping/cooking equipment

It aint a lot but it's more than the sheeple in the village with no back up supllies at all.

Cheers
Taffy."the guvnor"...

ETA crap spelling as always
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:34:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 7:38:26 PM EDT by Joaquin]

Originally Posted By Taffy223:
Joaqiun

I do lurk around the survival forum sometimes

Here, and my situation....well

There's no Tsunami/Zombie threat where i live but it's pretty rural and I'm only minutes(drive) away from civilization.

I hear that cartoons can sometimes turn people into zombies

My preparedness is more about a bug in situation. We do have the occasional bad weather here and there's been a few very severe floods in the more remote costal Welsh villages. We have had 2 seperate occasions here when there were protests and strikes about fuel prices. Farmers and lorry/fuel tanker drivers went on strike. Because fuel ran low....media hype....more people went to buy fuel...leading to a fuel shortage here. I was only able to get fuel because my local village gas station would only sell gas to us locals......(it ain't what you know but who)
The knock on effect was that the major supermarkets were low on food because people were panic buying and there was actual logistical problems filling the shelves because there was no fuel/drivers to deliver the food due to the strikes.

People always wait until the last minute, by then it's really too late. The whole katrina fiasco was a real wake up call for me. Clearly it is foolish to expect the gub'ment to take care of you. Ya got to take responsibilty and iniciative

My preparedness is only about being able to provide for my family the basics when everyone else will be relying on a logistic system that is not infalable.

So my actions are only to store food and water and a means of cooking. I'm on high ground so flooding is not a big problem. If I need to head for the hills I have an leo friend who I will meet up with and we will share food/shelter/water/expierience to get us through. We have discussed this between us.

Has the survivor forum been of help for you? I'm sure the guys there would like to hear of some your experiences and preparations.

Firearms is not a part of preparedness here. I've not considered this as my firearms can be taken from me by the authorities at any time. My firearms are limited to the restrictions of my FAC license and that's that.

I never thought that could happen here, but those idiots in New Orleans proved me wrong. On the plus side, I know several states which have passed laws agaisnt confiscation of weapons in times of emergency.

I am aware of and have used other methods to trap food(snares) if my food hoard becomes depleted. I will not have to rely on a firearm, though it would be helpfull.

I'm afraid I don't know much about Wales, what sort of game is there to trap?

So again my preparedness only realy covers

Shelter.....Always No1 but I'm bugging in

1) Water (stored)
2) Food (stored)
3) method of cooking (stored)
4) Living of the land (after finishing stored food)...lots of sheep here...

[Homer Simpson]Mmmmm..shhheeepp.[/Homer Simpson] Now they can come in handy in more ways than one!

TEOTWASKI Bug out location in place.

Sorry there's no huge list of pistols/rifles/rpg/claymores/tannerite/huge ammo stashes etc

how about the English long bow, ask the Frenchies about it's effectivness

I have a small attic...with a selection of US/UK rations, a few crates of bottled water and camping/cooking equipment

It aint a lot but it's more than the sheeple in the village with no back up supllies at all.

sounds like you're pretty prepared, another thing which has been brought up in the survivor forum is the importance of keeping a low profile. When people who haven't prepared find out that you have stuff, they'll presure you to share. This isn't about being selfish but realistic, you can't feed everyone. You got to look out for your own.

Cheers
Taffy."the guvnor"...

I hope "guv'nor" isn't derogtory,..uh, what exactly does it mean?

ETA crap spelling as always

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:24:14 AM EDT
Joaquin

Apart from the sheep there's plenty of Deer easliy within 5 miles of where I live. Now these are not technicaly free roaming as the area is a park. Sheep belong to someone also but if there's no other supply of food ....compound bow's are unregulated (at the moment)
Rabbits and other small game are plentiful....(snares are simple) and I do like a good rabbit stew.
I'm near the coast and there's a nice river runs nearby me so there's fish to be had. My friend is the gamekeeper for the river so I've already sampled the local brown trout numerous times.

It's just a shame Zombies are not edible....is that a que for another Cartoon

Guvnor is just like saying Boss/Chief etc

Cheers

Taffy

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:02:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Taffy223:
Joaquin

Apart from the sheep there's plenty of Deer easliy within 5 miles of where I live. Now these are not technicaly free roaming as the area is a park. Sheep belong to someone also but if there's no other supply of food ....compound bow's are unregulated (at the moment)
Rabbits and other small game are plentiful....(snares are simple) and I do like a good rabbit stew.
I'm near the coast and there's a nice river runs nearby me so there's fish to be had. My friend is the gamekeeper for the river so I've already sampled the local brown trout numerous times.

It's just a shame Zombies are not edible....is that a que for another Cartoon

Guvnor is just like saying Boss/Chief etc

Cheers

Taffy

I hope you have store sufficient quantities of tea, how dreadful it would be to endure inconviences without so much as a decent cup of tea.

...I was watching "Shawn of the dead the othe night"

"right, so we go over to mum's, kill Philip, go the winchester, have some tea and wait for everything to blow over".

Top Top