Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 8:00:56 AM EDT
Question to all of the ARFCOM UK users.

1,What do you intend to do in a SHTF situation?

2,What constitutes a SHTF situation? (your opinion).

I'm only asking this as I have read a lot on the rest of  ARFCOM, one bloke wants to buy a little helocopter for SHTF use.

I would consider the current situation in New Orleans and the surrounding area as a SHTF situation,
where the authorities have lost controll and the infrastructure has been destroyed due to a natural disaster. Making them dependant on outside help for their survival and future recovery.

My heart goes out to the victims, and I only hope that they get the help that they need.

I am asking for sober minded opinions, I have and had no intention to insult annoy or inflame anyone with this thread. I dont have any conection to the victims or the stricken area. It has just given me food for thought, how would we deal with a similar situation?

Tony
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#1]
How about one weeks supply of food and water.

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#2]
The SHTF years ago in this country and we deal with it as we do best over here, doing f... all
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Hiya mate,

I dont have that much on hand and i dont think all that many of us do. We tend to live from day to day and buy what we need, as we need it. You have probably seen the piccys of my family at bebo, Daniel my oldet lad has just turned eight and he's a bigun. He comes up to my armpit (hope he likes the smell), his plates of meat are masive. He and his brother eat & eat & eat. The SHTF senario is as diverse as it is complex, just the reappropriating of resourses (some call it looting) is dangerous. Okay nobody needs a large flatscreen tv as there isnt any electricity to power it, dont need dimond rings either, as we would have a new set of values forced upon us as the situation dictates.

Another question that comes to mind, who would just be looking out for himself and his own family? Who would share what he had available, and then become one of the impoverished when the stores had runout because of sharing?

Honest answers please on a post card, I might even knock some blue peter badges up for the better ones.

Tony

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#4]
@ rbecks,

you know the diference between a dictatorship and a democracy now dont you?

We (the sheep) living in a democracy get to choose our own Dictators every four years.

Tony
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Question to all of the ARFCOM UK users.

2,What constitutes a SHTF situation? (your opinion).

1/ if its a localised SHTF (as in New Orleans) get me + my family far away from the area. Everything else in my ife is replaceable.

2/ the breakdown of law+order??? Honestly, I dunno.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Hiya Limey1

I liked your answer's, keep em coming.

Tony

Off topic, check this link and tell me if something like this would be UK legal if the bit's were none removeable?

www.impulsegunbarrels.com/onlinekatalog-nov03/eng-08-karabinersystem.htm
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hiya Limey1

I liked your answer's, keep em coming.

Tony

Off topic, check this link and tell me if something like this would be UK legal if the bit's were none removeable?

www.impulsegunbarrels.com/onlinekatalog-nov03/eng-08-karabinersystem.htm

assuming it will get past the 300mm bbl/600mm OAL test, its still a semi-auto centrefire - therefore VERBOTEN
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Ach so ein scheiß, The rules arnt really fair are they.

Tony
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#9]
at least you only get stuck with the same guy twice, we aren't that lucky.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Hiya rbecks,

I wish, I live in Germany and we have the same system as in the uk, they are there till voted, shamed or kicked out. More's the pity. I wish we did have the same system as in the USA.

I'd also like the following to be taken into consideration for future elections:-

1, when less than 50% of those eligible to vote participate in an election, it is then declared a no vote!!
The party who was running the country at the time go into a caretaker role (not allowed to pass any legislation 'laws' mode) till a a re-election has been held and a minimum of 80% eligible to vote have done so.

I like the US, at least when they have an election they participate with over 96% (I think i read somewhere) of the eligible voters casting thier vote.

The political parties would have to stop and listen to the voters, what they want and need, and then go do something about it.

thats just my thoughts on elections, dont start a rebelion

Tony
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#11]
sorry mate i tought you were across the BIG pond. i think Blair got in with only 38% of the vote.
Power to the people!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you write B  lair?

Thats what i was getting at, its the same here in Germany. As a controll as to how they are doing have a big open court thing every 12 months where the governing party has to explain why they couldnt keep thier electoral promisses. Now wouldnt that be intresting, especially if the punishment for failing the people was they had to hold new elections.

I have to be responsible for my action's!!!!!!

Tony
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a bloody shame whats happening in New Orleans right now. Most of the time after a hurricane hits, everyone goes about the task of cleaning up and moving forward with their lives. I went through several when I was a lad whilst living in Florida.

Looting has always been a small part of natural disasters but, this crap of stealing items that in no way could they possibly utilize and shooting at rescue copters is mind numbing.

As to how I would react to a SHTF scenario I could only honestly say...depends on the $hit. I do keep a bug out bag handy but all I think of is all of my firearms and ammo in my safe that I would probably have to leave many behind if I must trek out on foot. As a family of four I can promise you more the one rifle will be carried by each member. Of course my wife can carry the ammo...

Wally
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Wally
There's some people out there in NO who are realy embarassing themselves.
The pics and clips I saw of the female LEO looting did not boost my confidence in the emergency services either.
I hope it gets sorted real soon.

Where i live is pretty elevated so flooding unless on a doomsday level will not effect me. I do think however more a "bug in situation"
I know when we had those fuel problems when the truckers and farmers were striking it did have a knock on effect with the transportation and replenishment of food in the main retailers.

There was panic buying of food and fuel. While I can handle no transport food and water MUST be priorities. I'd like to think I could keep the family going for a minimum of 7 days in the event of the transportation network collapsing. Then it would be caveman hunter gatherer Taffy heading to the hills to catch /shoot dinner

I hope my fellow Brits don't think me too paranoid in my thinking. I remember the power cuts as a kid and the family would be gatherer round my dads backup parafin heater the candles would be burning and the board games were dusted off. I think a little preparedness(is that a word?) goes a long way.

If you lost power ie electricity and gas how would you cope ? Not just the half day outtages we had as kids but for a week or more.

Matt on the farm may have generators but they are not normal appliances for most homes.

How would you get news of what was happening?....you'd need at least a battery driven "wireless"
A radio for you youngsters

How you gonna cook?

etc
etc
blaa
blaa

Taffy
The Last Boy Scout
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Taffy

It is VERY embarassing.

We have plenty of camping items to help ourselves to sustain in a "Stay at home" scenario.
( 2 cases small propane tanks...several burners... etc.) And I replenish our MRE and gal. water stocks. These things and more from our mental discipline of the Y2K days.

Damit, this thread has got me thinking I need to make sure my bug out bag is up to date

I'm watching Fox News on tv about New Orleans and hear thunder outside. Oh no!!! We're all going to die.... aaaaaahhhhh

Wally
The First Girl Scout
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:21:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'd leave it to the boys in blue. I'm sure if I ring them up they'll be round in a flash to stop my wife being raped and my stuff stolen. Especially now that Blair has put more police on the beat.

Matt 'head in sand'
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:46:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Wally,

It's pretty sad to see the citizens of the World's biggest nation (in many ways) sink to this lowest of states. I know now why you want to keep guns for protection, you need it to protect yourselves from other Americans.

We hear of rapes, child abuse, beatings, muggings (not just for food, but for non-essentials), general intimidation, and this is from British citizens taking shelter in the Superdome. If that's happening in the shelter, what's happening outside?

I feel sorry for all the decent folk caught up in the devastation and my heart goes out to them, but I also feel embarassed for America, as the whole World looks at your country in disbelief.

Matt
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:29:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Hiya,

@ Matt. Decency, now thats something that the most of the human race has forgotten about. The majority want to be treated Decently but dont return that decency.

@ Wally. Why didnt the US gov. start sending C-130's in to evacuate NO and surrounding areas once they had decided that the inhabitants should leave? I'm sure there are enough empty buildings on air bases in other states that arnt in the endangered parts of the US?

I donated some money after 911, as the bravest thing that I ever saw in my life was the emegency services reacting to 911. They were doing thier job, but they did it in a way that dumbfounds me. Even I, sat in Germany could see that the WTC had taken such a beating that the collapse was iminent, and not a question of if it would collapse. They were there, and they must have known it to, but they still went about thier job trying to save live's. I was absolutely disgusted when the media started reporting on how these funds had never reached any of those who should have recieved it.

I would really like to help in any way that i can, but I also realize that the monster that lurks in everyone (greed), will not ensure that any donation gets to where it should have.

@ Taffy. Bugging in would be my first choice, as long as it's a viable option. Then there are the visitors that you will get from the stricken areas, who will think that it is thier god given right to share what you have with them.

I believe that you can only do so much planning and preperation:-

pro-active

re-active

hope for the best

Be good

Tony
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:50:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Wally,

It's pretty sad to see the citizens of the World's biggest nation (in many ways) sink to this lowest of states. I know now why you want to keep guns for protection, you need it to protect yourselves from other Americans.

We hear of rapes, child abuse, beatings, muggings (not just for food, but for non-essentials), general intimidation, and this is from British citizens taking shelter in the Superdome. If that's happening in the shelter, what's happening outside?

I feel sorry for all the decent folk caught up in the devastation and my heart goes out to them, but I also feel embarassed for America, as the whole World looks at your country in disbelief.

Matt

Whilist I was watching people lining up to get into the Super Dome, the media interviewed a young chap from Austraila and a women from the UK. Both stated that we Americans were treating them kindly and felt protected. Then this shit happened. All I can think of is did we protect them???

Through the years our liberal media would question: "But what does the rest of the world think of us"...to which I would say "Fuck them, we are America. We protect the rest of the world"

I still believe that when it comes to natural disasters around the globe, we are one of the first ones there to help. But, this ordeal still has me scratching my head...I just don't get it.

And I could not blame any outsider to look poorly upon America with this debacle...

Lastly, I will say that I did see the good of people helping one another and I tip my hat to the Great State of Texas for taking in over 220,000 victims of whom are all grateful for that hospitality.

Wally
still watching this unfold 24/7

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Wally, Help is at hand.
Here's a link to a story I posted over in GD
Link

Mark
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Wally, Help is at hand.
Here's a link to a story I posted over in GD
Link

Mark

Thanks Mark

BTW: Although it is quiet early, IM me with the dates you'll be here in March...I want to get my name on the calendar as soon as possible for days off so as to spend some time with you gents.

Wally
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Wally

I'll make a window in MY Calendar if you can get over here

Don't bring sunglasses bring a rain coat

you can bring a kilt if ya want but it's a bit cold up there

See you soon

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Wally

I'll make a window in MY Calendar if you can get over here

Don't bring sunglasses bring a rain coat

you can bring a kilt if ya want but it's a bit cold up there

See you soon

Taffy

I appreciate the invite Taffy man. I've got a few bills to pay off first ( I've got to stop buying so many firearms and such )

But give me a couple years and I'll be there with my happy face on

Wally
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Years My arse....

Quit buying guns and get ya arse over here

You know you want to

Visit

England
Scotland
And Wales
In one trip

People here to welcome you from ARFCom wherever you stop

Quit procrastinating

Book ya tickets

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Years My arse....

You know you want to

Visit

England
Scotland
And Wales
In one trip

Quit procrastinating

Book ya tickets

Taffy

Alright already, I'll work on it sooner than later...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Years My arse....

You know you want to

Visit

England
Scotland
And Wales
In one trip

Quit procrastinating

Book ya tickets

Taffy

Alright already, I'll work on it sooner than later...

Untill you get here we cannot "Unite our Arms" to Glory

Start packing Wally

Taffy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top