Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2005 12:16:42 PM EDT
Hey guys I've been thinking(yeah that might scare some people)

Now Im going to be undergoing a magazine change on my vulcan lower and I see how easy it is to convert this to a normal ar(accepts detachable mags) and it made me wonder. If you guys were in a SHTF situation, say LA riot type, and there were mobs of people looting and what not and you felt you were going to be a target, would you take out the pin on your fixed mag ar's so that they could accept detachable mags? I mean if this had the possibility of being  a life or death situation would you do it?

Just something to ponder.

ZC
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably not.

I would try to avoid any situation or location that would put me in need of mulitple mags. Besides, why does someone else breaking the law give us the right to break the law (no mater how stupid the law is)? Also, if total chaos hasn't totally broken out, and order will return shortly, you don't want to try to defend yourself in a mulitple murder case when they can easily point out that you are alaready a bad person for owning an illegal assault weapon.

Now if it was total chaos or if California became a warzone, then that would be different.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'd rather just use an M1A and send .308 rounds down range.

+1 I love my M1a
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
An old saying goes kind of like this, "Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6."  All things being considered, I don't die for anyone without a fight. I would expect that you would be arrested and tried afterwards though. Even if the shooting would otherwise be considered "Justifiable", using an illegal weapon may bring with it legal action against you. Same thing if you are ccw illegally. You could still get charged for illegally carrying even if it is a good shoot. Go back to the old saying and decide for yourself.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
ZCHF

How does Vulcan pin the 10rd mag into place?  Have they removed the mag release and replaced it with a screw and nut?

Just curious, and wondering if this method can be done by anyone or does it require a DOJ letter?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hey guys I've been thinking(yeah that might scare some people)

Now Im going to be undergoing a magazine change on my vulcan lower and I see how easy it is to convert this to a normal ar(accepts detachable mags) and it made me wonder. If you guys were in a SHTF situation, say LA riot type, and there were mobs of people looting and what not and you felt you were going to be a target, would you take out the pin on your fixed mag ar's so that they could accept detachable mags? I mean if this had the possibility of being  a life or death situation would you do it?

I wouldn't risk it. I believe the first responders for these situations are all BATF and CAL DOJ agents that go door to door  to check whether the weapons you are carrying are registered properly.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#7]
If things were that bad that I would do what it took to protect my family.  How reliable is the lower like that though?  I have pre Ca ban ARs, but if I didn't I'd feel quite well armed with something else.  I never got an M1A before the mag ban so I went with the M1 Garand in .308.  Only 8 rounds but reloads are quick and I find it more ergonomic than the M1A.  Wish I had an M1A as well though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
An old saying goes kind of like this, "Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6."  All things being considered, I don't die for anyone without a fight. I would expect that you would be arrested and tried afterwards though. Even if the shooting would otherwise be considered "Justifiable", using an illegal weapon may bring with it legal action against you. Same thing if you are ccw illegally. You could still get charged for illegally carrying even if it is a good shoot. Go back to the old saying and decide for yourself.

+1,  I also believe that desperate times calls for desperate measures.......so what'll you gonna do when a gang people starts to light ur car on fire...then ur house...etc...etc..so you're going to step outside and get shot at/beaten/wife raped/kids killed...or ur going to just sit tight, dial 911 and wait patiently for a week for the cops to show-if they show....

for me,  if it calls out for more firepower including explosives/cocktail bottles  i'd do it.  if my life and family members/friends depends on it I would....screw the law...do you actually think that criminals would stop at a redlight in a shft.  do you think that they would only use a max of 10rds per mag and not carry conceal.  so you've got plenty of guns at home but you somehow needed to drive/walk to a family/friends house to check up on them.  but then you leave all ur guns at home because you've decided not to break the law and on the way you get robbed/beaten to death,  but then you think to ur self, come over to my house and I'll kill you, but then in reality your bleeding to death and is going to be meeting up with ur maker in 10minutes....Great Laws isn't it...I hope they catch your killers.....if they ever or probably be only behind bars for a few yrs and get parole
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I think you're taking it too far to the extreme. We woudn't be isolated and alienated to the point where countless hordes of people would swoop down and attack our every belonging simulataneously with the sole intent of destruction and murder. Could it happen? Yes. Would I react the same as a New Orleans style SHTF? No. It's all cirumstance.

If we lost power on a state level and stores were being looted and nothing else, I would lock up in my home, arm myself and my family, and wait patiently doing what I could with what I had. I wouldn't sit outside and shoot at everything that moved towards my house. I would foritify and defend.

Now if police and martial law failed, that would be different. You can be damn sure that I would be taking a more active approach to defending my family.

Now this is all talk out my ass, because 90% of us have never been in that situation or even had a loaded firearm aimed at us with their intent being to kill. A good majority of us have probably never even been in a real fight where blood was shed. So when I hear people say things like "I'd get my guns and go SOCOM on their asses" (which lets face it, a lot of people say in these types of topics) it makes me laugh and worried, because I don't know if they will panic and really do that or if they will freeze up in fear and just be a target with a loaded weapon.

I learned long ago, pick your fights. I got in an argument with my brother, he pushed me and I hit him in the face (first time I ever actually hit someone) and he fell into a nearby weightbench. I was so shocked at what I had unintentionally done that I didn't even try to block him when he came back at me. All I know was I remember not so much the pain from the hit, but the sharp cracking pain as my head hit concrete floor. I blacked out for several minutes, I am told. That is the only REAL fight I have ever been in, and I learned you don't act rashly, because people who start real fights are there to fight.

I remember one time in highschool, when my now fiance was with her boyfriend who was also a friend of mine, and he got angry because she liked me. He got infuriated and started hitting me. I just blocked what I could, and laughed the rest off (which of course pissed him off more). I don't need to prove anything to anyone, and it would be stupid for me to fight back over something stupid like jealously. It would be the same as shooting someone who is tagging your house or something stupid. Some things you should just let go. Now had he touched my fiance, I would have knocked his teeth in. I know it, because there have been several times where someone has tried to do something to her and I step up to them and let them know they won't do it easily.

I guess my point in all this is my fiance is above all, the most important thing in my life. Period. I would die for her without hesitation (as it should be). If a SHTF scenario happened, in all honesty, I would rather let someone take my truck than fight about it and possibly end up having my fiance pay the price. I won't hand it over, but I won't shoot out for it. If someone is willing to kill my fiance and I over a truck, then let them have it. I would rather have her than some damn truck. I do know that I would sit awake all night just to make sure nothing happened in her sleep, I know, I HAVE been there. If trouble comes my way, let it come, nothing will stop it. I just hope it isn't after my fiance, or it will have more than hell to pay.

Being prepared doesn't mean having the supplies to survive, it means being mentally aware of what you are capable of doing and what you are willing to do to survive. Having MREs, water, and firearms are all great, but it doesn't mean a damn thing if you aren't mentally prepared to handle the situation. Please, get all the supplies you will need, just be sure you know what you will need to do, becuase sitting around a camp fire enjoying stale spaghetti and crawling off to your sleeping bag for a nice night under the stars while the crickets chirp is not how it will be. The worst of humanity will hit, and I sincerly hope that if (when) that day comes, you are all prepared and get out ok, and not just you, but your loved ones too.

ETA: Sorry, I kind of went off on a huge tangent there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top