Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 10:33:17 PM EDT

SHOOTING RANGES CLOSED ON SAM HOUSTON NATIONAL FOREST
News & Events
Forest Service to Offer Deer Permits
more

Designated shooting areas – normally open only during hunting season – will no longer be available in the Sam Houston National Forest, according to National Forests and Grasslands in Texas Patrol Captain David Norsworthy.

“In the past, we have allowed designed shooting areas in the forest for target practice and for hunters to sight their rifles even though Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) are prohibited by state law from having shooting areas,” Norsworthy said. The entire Sam Houston National Forest is a WMA.

The change in policy is effective immediately for the 2005 hunting season.

“There are numerous private shooting ranges in Harris, Montgomery, Walker and Leon counties that hunters may use,” Norsworthy said.

For questions concerning the closure of the shooting areas, contact Acting District Ranger Don Benner at the Sam Houston Ranger Office at 936-344-6205 or by mail at USDA Forest Service, 394 FM 1375 West, New Waverly, TX 77358.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:17:42 AM EDT
[#1]
guess it was too convenient for us........

fuck em.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I started going there 30yrs ago
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#3]
It was too much trouble for them, to let you the lowly taxpayer use their land.  After all, it belongs to the U.S. Government, not you.  Ask them.

And, you can't have unsupervised, and unregulated people having fun.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#5]
How do you eat an Elephant... One bite at a time. First, restricted hours; next, range closed. It figures.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:52:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I  heard about this on an LE board.  Apparently the reason given was they got tired of picking up all the trash.  Was it more dump than shooting range?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#8]
A few years back, the range had gotten pretty bad. It looked like a trash dump: compiters, desks, furniture, etc. Then the new range rules went into effect a couple of years ago, the range cleaned up and seemed to stay that way.  Unfortunately, like with anything available for free to the public, people were still not cleaning up after themselves.  

I went and shot on the last day the range was open last year, and it still looked good. With the exception of the empty brass, I didn't observe any trash on the ground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top