Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2009 4:34:29 PM EDT
Do I need to register and get a tag for a 8x5 utility trailer?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#1]
NO
Small trailers, utility or boat do not have to be tagged in SC until they reach a certain size and weight rating. I don't really know what that breakpoint is, but it is well above normal utility trailer sizes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you put some identification on it.  My brother had a car trailer stolen right out of his drive way.  Because they don't have to be tagged they are high theft items in SC.  They cut his lock and everything.  He now has his name and phone number engraved on his new trailer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Because they don't have to be tagged they are high theft items in SC. They cut his lock and everything. He now has his name and phone number engraved on his new trailer.

That's some really, really good advice!

+1 tag for a no brainer!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If it is less than 2500 lbs., you won't need a tag. You will need lights, even in the daytime, and even if you can see the vehicle lights. +1 on welding  your initials or some othe ID on the trailer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it is less than 2500 lbs., you won't need a tag. You will need lights, even in the daytime, and even if you can see the vehicle lights. +1 on welding  your initials or some othe ID on the trailer.

Are you sure this is correct?  I tow my boat trailer every weekend and it is WELL over 2500#.  I haven't ever been pulled, and the boat dealership sent me off of thier lot without even a mention of plates.

I do know that if you tow out of state, you DO need a tag or you can be ticketed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure this is correct?  I tow my boat trailer every weekend and it is WELL over 2500#.  I haven't ever been pulled, and the boat dealership sent me off of thier lot without even a mention of plates.

I do know that if you tow out of state, you DO need a tag or you can be ticketed.

Just the trailer, not the combination. You "should" also be good towing out of state. States have a fair passage agreement. Its the same reason a driver from SC doesn't get a ticket for not having a front license plate in NY.   SECTION 56-3-130. Exemption of certain boat, farm and other utility trailers.

Boat trailers under twenty-five hundred pounds, farm trailers and other utility trailers which are privately owned and not for hire need not be licensed or registered.

Also

Boating Law Administrator: 803-762-5034 (Charleston) 803-734-4303 (Columbia)
Maximum Speed Limit: 55
Maximum Dimensions for trailer:48'L x 8'6"W x 13'6"H
Maximum Length with Trailer:N/A
Minimum Weight requiring Separate Trailer Brakes:3000
Trailer Equipment Requirements:
Safety Chains:Y
Brakelights:Y
Taillights:Y
Clearance Lights:Y
License Light:Y
Turn Signals:Y
Reflectors:Y
Flares:N/A
Breakaway Brakes: Y
Tiedowns:N/A
Two Trailers:N
Insurance:N
Wide Trailer Permit Phone Number: 803-285-6250

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just the trailer, not the combination. You "should" also be good towing out of state. States have a fair passage agreement. Its the same reason a driver from SC doesn't get a ticket for not having a front license plate in NY.   SECTION 56-3-130. Exemption of certain boat, farm and other utility trailers.

Boat trailers under twenty-five hundred pounds, farm trailers and other utility trailers which are privately owned and not for hire need not be licensed or registered.

Also

Boating Law Administrator: 803-762-5034 (Charleston) 803-734-4303 (Columbia)
Maximum Speed Limit: 55
Maximum Dimensions for trailer:48'L x 8'6"W x 13'6"H
Maximum Length with Trailer:N/A
Minimum Weight requiring Separate Trailer Brakes:3000
Trailer Equipment Requirements:
Safety Chains:Y
Brakelights:Y
Taillights:Y
Clearance Lights:Y
License Light:Y
Turn Signals:Y
Reflectors:Y
Flares:N/A
Breakaway Brakes: Y
Tiedowns:N/A
Two Trailers:N
Insurance:N
Wide Trailer Permit Phone Number: 803-285-6250

UH OH  

Seriously, though, i have always been told if going out of state, have a plate on the trailer.  I GUESS it probably has something to do with obstructing the vehicle tag, but i am jst guessing.  For $110 you can buy a permamnent plate for a trailer, which is what i did for my utility trailer so i don't get harassed out of state.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#8]
If you intend to hall it outside of SC, I recommend you get a tag.  I think the lifetime tag/registration is about $90 and it can save you some real headaches in other states.  I wish I had all the time back that I spent on the side of the road arguing with NJ/NY state troopers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#9]
That 55 mph thing is in error.  There is no such law for trailers in SC.
Most trailers in SC are not licensed, either the cops don't care or don't know the law.
SC is missing out on a hell of a revenue stream not enforcing this.
I also wonder exactly what "privately owned" means...it seems ot me ALL commercial trailers would have to be licensed if it means what I think it means...but then again most aren't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top