Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2011 9:10:46 AM EDT

A great day for freedom and a black day for the Puritans!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Awesome! Lets just hope it passes the next test.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm all for personal liberty.  As such, I'm not opposed to Sunday alcohol sales.  That being said, I don't really care either way if this passes.  If blue laws prevent you from drinking on Sunday, you've failed to plan appropriately.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm all for personal liberty.  As such, I'm not opposed to Sunday alcohol sales.  That being said, I don't really care either way if this passes.  If blue laws prevent you from drinking on Sunday, you've failed to plan appropriately.

Thats not the problem, the problem is that the state has decided that it has the power to make that decision for adults.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]
My "True Conservative" Senator stood in front of the senate and cried like a little girl as he explained how this law would lead to more abused women and gay marriages.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My "True Conservative" Senator stood in front of the senate and cried like a little girl as he explained how this law would lead to more abused women and gay marriages.

Wow, if that's not a stretch I don't know what is! As a "true conservative" that just means he is entirely paid for by lobbies like the Christian Coalition who were extremely opposed to this.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Now we get to hear all the Bible Nazis in the House....joy
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I agree
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My 42nd District senator pwned on the floor.  I'll be looking forward to supporting Jason Carter (d) in the next election.  I'm very happy that Senator Bulloch had the stones to stand up to the more religiously conservative elements within his Republican party and get this thing up for a vote.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Often times, the only chance I can get to go to the liquor store is Sunday
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Now we get to hear all the Bible Nazis in the House....joy

Normally, I don't share my religious faith on ARFCom, but since you asked....
I probably fit the Christian stereotype which you seem to despise.  I am not ashamed to tell you that Jesus is my Lord and Savior.  If he is not yours and you'd like to hear about him, I'll be glad to discuss it with you.  But I'm digressing off topic...
I rarely drink alcohol.  By rare, I mean about one beer per year, in years that I drink at all.
I have family and friends who drink regularly and I think nothing less of them for it.
IMHO, the frequency of my drinking is my personal choice.  Your drinking habits should be your personal choice.
My position on the legislation is that the government has no business telling an individual when he can purchase a legal product such as alcohol, tobacco, or fast foods, unless it somehow endangers someone else.
I would support removing any prohibition of sales of alcohol on Sundays, late hours, and election days.
BTW, I am not a smoker either.  But I would strongly support doing away with laws which prohibit smoking in restaurants; public buildings and airplanes.  The anti-smoking laws were the beginning of our gradual acceptance of state nanny laws.  Business owners can make their own decisions.  I don't know what is more Americana than someone having a cigarette and a cup of coffee, while reading the paper at the Waffle House.
We even have ridiculous situations where some employers prohibit employees from smoking, even if it is not on the job.  They enforce this rule by testing blood samples for nicotine.  How gutless we have become to tolerate these infringements on our personal lives.
Now we have the feds dictating how food is prepared at restaurants - not for food safety, but for calorie content.  We also have a big fat Wookie preaching to our kids to eat tofu and lettuce.  How did we get here?
Calling ourselves the Land of the Free is getting to be a little bit of a stretch...and you might be painting with a broad brush.  
I guess now we get to hear from Drunken Heathens Cursed to Eternal Damnation in the House....joy.  
j/k dude.  I'll pray for you.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Regardless of what you feel about the consumption of alcohol, it is legal to drink in the US.  Prohibition did not work.

So we are to believe that we are safer by requiring individuals who choose to drink on Sundays to drive to restaraunts in order to drink and then drive home?  Not to mention the fact that it is legal to consume but not buy on Sunday and somehow this means we are a more godly people for it?  

Please, spare me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Of all the important issues out there, I don't think I could possibly care less about this one.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome hope it goes all the way
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#14]
It is not a federal issue.
It is not a state issue.
It is a local issue so let folks go their local polling place and make a choice for their city or county.
If you side loses then you are free to move to another community that better matches your values.

No matter our views on this subject, we should keep the debate free from petty insults and negative stereotypes.
No need to act like overly wrought and emotional confused liberals.

Monk
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:48:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It is not a state issue.
It is a local issue so let folks go their local polling place and make a choice for their city or county.
If you side loses then you are free to move to another community that better matches your values.

No matter our views on this subject, we should keep the debate free from petty insults and negative stereotypes.

Monk

I disagree cordially.... Getting the local option is the best way to get our foot in the door.  Give it some time and we'll ram Sunday sales down the throats of dry communities where ignorance and superstition prevails.  The idea of country preachers becoming distraught over "them folks up in Atlanta" instituting statewide legal Sunday sales gives me warm fuzzies.    

We are slowly beating back the old guard of "tradition" and the embodiment of religious preference in law.

I'd ordinarily be opposed to going up the government food chain when it comes to legislating but make an exception in this case in that Sunday sales increases liberty as opposed to federal/state regulations that further empower the Nanny State and attempt to make decisions for adults they can make themselves.

+1 for liberty
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is not a state issue.

Monk

I disagree cordially.... Getting the local option is the best way to get our foot in the door.  Give it some time and we'll ram Sunday sales down the throats of dry communities where ignorance and superstition prevails.  The idea of country preachers becoming distraught over "them folks up in Atlanta" instituting statewide legal Sunday sales gives me warm fuzzies.    

We are slowly beating back the old guard of "tradition" and the embodiment of religious preference in law.

I'd ordinarily be opposed to going up the government food chain when it comes to legislating but make an exception in this case in that Sunday sales increases liberty as opposed to federal/state regulations that further empower the Nanny State and attempt to make decisions for adults they can make themselves.

+1 for liberty

We may disagree on the details of the method but we do agree on best possible outcome.
Liberty is always the best answer.

Monk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top