Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 12:17:59 PM EDT
Hello,

I would like to assemble a SBR an AR w/ 10 inch barrel, I live in NYS. I read thru the Legal info on the site, but I must say I am a little confused.
Can you build a SBR in NY? Does it help if its on a Pre-Ban reciever? Also does being an LEO make any difference????
Also if you register the AR as a pistol (10 inch upper I was thinking) can you still put like a sliding stock on it?
Anyone out there that can help it would be greatly appreciated......

please email at
[email protected]

or feel free to post.
Thank you,
Chris
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
One word.......................  AirSoft

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, it does make a difference if you are a LEO
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Phil Steen,

can you tell me how?
I have a pretty good chief, I know he would sign off on the ATF form, but I didn't want to violate NY Law?
any help would be great.....

Chris
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hello,

I would like to assemble a SBR an AR w/ 10 inch barrel, I live in NYS. I read thru the Legal info on the site, but I must say I am a little confused.
Can you build a SBR in NY? Does it help if its on a Pre-Ban reciever? Also does being an LEO make any difference????
Also if you register the AR as a pistol (10 inch upper I was thinking) can you still put like a sliding stock on it?
Anyone out there that can help it would be greatly appreciated......

please email at
[email protected]

or feel free to post.
Thank you,
Chris

I guess this LEO doesn't know the NYS Penal Code very well...
Bottom line, snowballs chance in hell getting what you wish listed...
Alternatives: Buy a virgin lower, assemble as a pistol, NO Buttstock period, only a foamie over the buffer tube and no FVG of any kind (with a certified letter from the manuf. stating it is a virgin lower) and assemble as a pistol, or get a 6 inch muzzle break and permanently attach the break to the 10" barrel...and still have a legal rifle.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
This LEO knows the Penal code fine....do you?
Technically LEO's are not held subject  to code 265 about weapons...as an example we are allowed to own and posses Auto-Knives...even though they are illegal in NYS,  but I didn't know if there were specific differences for assault type weapons or Federally regulated weapons.....such as SBR's, that would allow ownership, thats why I asked, only stupid people assume they know everything you know??

but thanks anyway for the help.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:40:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:41:41 AM EDT
[#9]
A rifle with a barrel less than 16" in length is defined as a "Firearm" under Section 265.00.3. of the Penal Code.

Sections 265.01(1) and 265.02(4) criminalize possession of a firearm and loaded firearm, respectively.

Section 265.20.a.1.b. states that "[Section  265.01 and 265.02 do not apply to] ". . . police officers as defined in subdivision thirty-four of section 1.20 of the criminal procedure law."

So theoretically, a police officer can posssess a SBR in NYS.

Link to Statute

ETA: I say "theoretically" because it's almost impossible for a PO to get personal NFA in NYS.  It can be done but it's rare.  How you do it is beyond my knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:36:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Alternatives: Buy a virgin lower, assemble as a pistol, NO Buttstock period, only a foamie over the buffer tube and no FVG of any kind (with a certified letter from the manuf. stating it is a virgin lower) and assemble as a pistol, or get a 6 inch muzzle break and permanently attach the break to the 10" barrel...and still have a legal rifle.

The completed pistol would have to weigh 50 oz. or less to comply with the NYS AWB. In order to meet the weight requirement the receiver will end up looking like "swiss cheese" to lighten it.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:46:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The completed pistol would have to weigh 50 oz. or less to comply with the NYS AWB. In order to meet the weight requirement the receiver will end up looking like "swiss cheese" to lighten it.

www.impactguns.com/store/media/oly_oa-98.jpg

RKBar15, I think it's the handguard requirement that makes building a pistol not worth it.

"a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;"
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Technically LEO's are not held subject  to code 265 about weapons...as an example we are allowed to own and posses Auto-Knives...even though they are illegal in NYS,  but I didn't know if there were specific differences for assault type weapons or Federally regulated weapons.....such as SBR's, that would allow ownership, thats why I asked, only stupid people assume they know everything you know??
Chris

Your questions are fine. As Helldog stated there are some NFA weapons that are legal to posess in NYS.

"Auto-knives" are not illegal to posses in NY if you are hunting or fishing and posses a hunting and/or fishing license.

There are rumored to be a few personally registered Title II firearms in NY but I don't know how they were registered. I suspect the owners had some major juice and some type of federal LE credentials.

Why not have the SBR owned and registered to your department?

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why not have the SBR owned and registered to your department?

I have known guys who did that, but why spend all that money on something that ultimately you don't actually own?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

www.impactguns.com/store/media/oly_oa-98.jpg

Whoa, that is a fugly Oly...
Thanks for the max weight info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top