Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 4:30:06 PM EDT
So how hard is it to get an SBR in the liberal hold out of Austin? just started thinking about building one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#1]
HAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Per a local SOT when I asked the same question

Travis Co. S.O. Everything
Williamson Co. S.O. All but suppressors
Round Rock PD Everything
Pflugerville PD. Pretty sure but not 100%
Caldwell Co. S.O. Everything
Cedar Park PD. Pretty sure but not 100%
Austin PD Nothing

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Round Rock PD Everything
Austin PD Nothing

Some errors there.  My supressors were signed off by Williamson county, and APD just refers all paperwork to Travis County Sheriff dept and lets them deal with it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Round Rock PD Everything
Austin PD Nothing

Some errors there.  My supressors were signed off by Williamson county, and APD just refers all paperwork to Travis County Sheriff dept and lets them deal with it.

I thought Williamson county stopped signing off on suppressors last summer (fall?) because of an incident where someone with a supressed pistol was shooting pets...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Round Rock PD Everything
Austin PD Nothing

I thought Williamson county stopped signing off on suppressors last summer (fall?) because of an incident where someone with a supressed pistol was shooting pets...

First I've ever heard of that,  my latest paperwork is over two years old now.  I's like to hear any details of this incident.  That's the sort of story that would get continous coverage in Austin.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]
so do you have to go through the local pd? or can you just go to the county sheriff? and actually in austin what are the chances?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#7]
If you live in Travis County, Travis County Sheriff Greg Hamilton's office will sign any Form 4 or Form 1 as long as you pass their local background check.

The Austin PD and Travis County District Attourneys Office (Ronnie Earl) will refer you to the Travis County Sheriff (I have asked both in the past) as the Sheriffs office keeps the "files" on all NFA owners and can recite to you every form they have ever signed off on. (They have asked me about specifics of previous transfers during a future request).

I can personally vouch that Travis will sign for Short Barreled Shotguns, Short Barreled Rifles, Supressors, and Machineguns.  I have never tested the waters regarding AOW or large bore Destructive Devices but would assume that by default AOWs would be OK.

Williamson County used to sign for everything as of 6 to 9 months ago.  There was a change in policy and the last I heard from my C3 dealer as of a month ago (who is in Williamson) was that he had a sit down conversation with the Sheriff and the political liablity/fallout was too high to continue signing.  However, this may just be for suppressors as I didnt go into great detail as it didnt really effect me.  However, if you want to know the specifics of Williamson give Chuck Tooke a call at Chuck's Class 3 and I am sure he could fill you in.

If you live in the City of Round Rock, the RR PD will sign for most anything.

James
Austin, Texas

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:30:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I can confirm what is being said regarding WilCo.  Everything but suppressors.  Called the Sheriff 2 weeks ago to look in to it myself.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn Texas is really looking good now to me.

I cant even get a response from my local PD in regards to the cleo signoff here in NOVA.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top