Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2014 5:00:40 PM EDT
Anyone know if it is legal to register a SBR in my name and then change it over to a trust at a later date?  I'd like to try and get the ball rolling on obtaining a tax stamp for a sbr, but I want to make sure I don't mess anything up.  Also, what is the typical time to receive a tax stamp these days?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Im fairly certain you would have to form 4 it to the trust...... eforms are right at 90 days and regular is taking forever and a day.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone know if it is legal to register a SBR in my name and then change it over to a trust at a later date?  I'd like to try and get the ball rolling on obtaining a tax stamp for a sbr, but I want to make sure I don't mess anything up.  Also, what is the typical time to receive a tax stamp these days?

Thanks in advance
View Quote

Roughly a year. E file may speed ya up a few months based on what I've read on here.

As far as registering goes I may be talking out of my ass here but that may be viewed as a transfer which legally it would be. This means another tax of 200. Having said this, I don't truly know.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Your best bet would be to set up a trust ASAP and use e-form to manufacture a SBR on form 1.  If you do it by your method it will cost you two tax stamps and a longer wait.

One of my customers got a trust set up in around 3 days for a suppressor transfer last week.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
my sparrow can took exactly 11months from day the form was filled out.

a long journey but I love my sparrow
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Trusts or entities can file an electronic Form 1 w/o prints, pic or CLEO sign off. They are running about 3 months for approval. No paper.  Dealers who have registered can also do F4s electronically for transfers to trusts/entities.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your best bet would be to set up a trust ASAP and use e-form to manufacture a SBR on form 1.  If you do it by your method it will cost you two tax stamps and a longer wait.
View Quote

Glad I was right on the two stamps!

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Trust or corporation can use e-forms for their form 1's and NFA dealers can transfer NFA items to trust and corporations on form 4 via e-forms.  This option will be available as long as the ATF does not required finger prints or CLEO sign off for the trust and corporation per Obama's presidential order.

Quoted:
OMG! A '14er.  

Welcome.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my sparrow can took exactly 11months from day the form was filled out.

a long journey but I love my sparrow
OMG! A '14er.  

Welcome.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Trust or corporation can use e-forms for their form 1's and NFA dealers can transfer NFA items to trust and corporations on form 4 via e-forms.  This option will be available as long as the ATF does not required finger prints or CLEO sign off for the trust and corporation per Obama's presidential order.

View Quote

Do you know of any links or info on this E Filing???

I have a trust and as soon as I get a few legal and financial things ironed out, I'd like to try and E-file for a can or two...

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:34:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

One of my customers got a trust set up in around 3 days for a suppressor transfer last week.
View Quote

Got some taxes and a spousal unit's Citizenship to go through before setting up the trust.  Have I mentioned recently how much I hate the hate-on for Luciano they had in '34?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Hmm...so trust is the way to go... anyone recommend someone to do it local? Cost?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top