Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 3:29:50 PM EDT
I signed up right after new years, paid in advance.  Today I made the journey to Butner and got to the shop a bit early after stopping at McDonalds.  Don't do that.  When Beth arrived she had boxes of bojangles biscuits for everyone.  The classroom area in the back of the store is a bit crowded and rather informal, but its not really bad.  They had lance crackers and candy on the tables and sodas to keep us from getting too bored.  Ya watch a few videos, see a few powerpoints.  I recommend you review and know the laws beforehand, as we spent of good deal of time on "other" topics relating to firearms.  Technique, field stripping, how certain brands have various features etc....  They give you a book and some other papers with all you need to know, and I feel like the course was geared just right.  Instead of boring discussion all day long about CCW laws and such, he kept it interesting with other useful information.  
 You must bring eyes, ears, and your carry weapon. A ballcap is required, as they had an incident of hot brass getting caught behind someones glasses and the individual almost shot someone during his surprised reaction.  Bring 200 rounds.  Do NOT load your mags in advance, you are wasting your time.  You will never have more than 5 rounds loaded at a time in this course.  They did NOT mention needing a carry holster.  Bring one, it is for all intents and purposes a requirement.  I had to buy a cheap one there, and it didn't work well but got me through the course.  Being a lefty, I was restricted to the single left handed holster they had, although they had a lot of right handed ones.  I put it in my pants pocket and drew that way as the Glock 21 I was using was simply too damn big to conceal, and I have not decided on what my "carry" weapon will be yet.
 We were supposed to get pizza for lunch, but somebody forgot to order.  Whoops.  No lunch today.  No matter, I was learning and didn't really notice until 2:00.
 We got to the oxford range somewhere around 3:00 I think.  After a lot of waiting around, we got a neat demonstration of the instructors ability.  2 in the chest and one in the head in the blink of an eye!  We then learned some great techniques, getting a taste of their "handgun" course.  He covered fundamentals such as holding the pistol properly, drawing, stance, etc....  I learned a better way to hold my pistol which made me much more accurate and gave me faster follow up shots.  He taught us how to shoot one handed, and how to fire from close to your chest without aiming after a brief and humiliating demonstration of just how easy it is to grab someone's weapon right from their grasp.  I was amazed to pull off several bullseyes using this technique, No aiming or anything!  
 We practiced several different ways of shooting, then after an hour or so of that began qualifications.  There was a catch!  Instead of shooting in a regular, easy stance, we were told how to execute each group of shots.  We utilized the close to your chest method, shooting one handed with both right and left hands, and of course the conventional two handed way.  Double taps, single shots, and a final 10 round volley at 7 yards.   I was very pleased with myself, scoring a perfect 100.  I got one shot in the 8 ring, all the rest were 9 and 10.  I could cover all but 3 within the size of my hand.  I was the second best in the class, the other guys groups were tighter and he shoots A LOT.  
 After the class I feel I learned much more than just CCW law, which I already knew before going in.  It was a great day, with good people.  I definately plan to take some more classes there in the future.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a very valuable day/class.  Money well spent!

Lex
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking at taking the class in Greensboro. What did this class run?

Thanks,
Terry
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds good.  Did Glenn do the range with you guys?  That guys an amazing shot.  I stopped by the shop this afternoon to fondle that new Steyr Scout on the wall...  Dang, I want one.  Anyone wan't to buy a kidney?????
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:28:08 AM EDT
[#4]
$100 for the one day course, and yes I believe it was Glenn.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Saturn. That was a good investment and money well spent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top