Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 10/17/2008 6:58:06 AM EST
What does it take to get a job as a floor hand? I have called 3 or 4 companys and everybody wants somebody with expierence but how am i going to get expierence without getting out there? Im usually employed as a welder(structure/pipe) but the 7on/off looks real nice and plus i would like to learn something new. Im 6'4 260 pounds and not a slouch. Anybody got that inside connection? Im ready to go to work if somebody will just give me a chance.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:39:44 AM EST
Show up at the rig.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:18:02 AM EST
Where are you ?

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 10:59:08 AM EST
north east tx, mount pleasant area
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:50:46 PM EST
i dont know of anyone hiring around here... a lot of companies are tightening up right now. chesapeake being the biggest one. some people i know have started working at the shop and made their way to the rig.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:31:53 AM EST
look in the panhandle, when I left there at night all you could see is towers for miles and miles. canadian pampa area
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:24:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2008 12:25:15 PM EST by texasfortune]
I get weekly updates on the rig locations from rigdata if that will help you any. ive sent it to tons of folks on www.roughneckcity.com . there is alot of help on that board for us oilfield trash. curtis and the guys are great over there. let me know if i can help you. im in the sales side of the oilfield and talk to company men everyday. 713 232 9079
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:31:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By BullDogger:
What does it take to get a job as a floor hand? I have called 3 or 4 companys and everybody wants somebody with expierence but how am i going to get expierence without getting out there? Im usually employed as a welder(structure/pipe) but the 7on/off looks real nice and plus i would like to learn something new. Im 6'4 260 pounds and not a slouch. Anybody got that inside connection? Im ready to go to work if somebody will just give me a chance.

Go out and hit the rigs and talk to the 'tool-pusher'. Tell them you want to 'break out weevil corner' and you're a 'fucking WORKER' and you wanna git er did!! Hooahhh! If the crews are full, give him something with your phone number and name and ask if he knows anybody who's 'short handed'.

I miss roughnecking and drilling. I'm too old now, (and have moved up the ladder), but it's like getting paid to go to the gym.

If you get on, BE CAREFUL...there's a lot of shit on/around drilling rigs that will take your life in a fuckin' heartbeat! Pay attention to what the driller tells you!!

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:18:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By pcsutton:

Originally Posted By BullDogger:

Go out and hit the rigs and talk to the 'tool-pusher'. Tell them you want to 'break out weevil corner' and you're a 'fucking WORKER' and you wanna git er did!! Hooahhh! If the crews are full, give him something with your phone number and name and ask if he knows anybody who's 'short handed'.

I miss roughnecking and drilling. I'm too old now, (and have moved up the ladder), but it's like getting paid to go to the gym.

If you get on, BE CAREFUL...there's a lot of shit on/around drilling rigs that will take your life in a fuckin' heartbeat! Pay attention to what the driller tells you!!
Good luck!

Pay close attention to the part in red. I spent my youth working the rigs in East Texas. Drilling, and work over both. When the rig is working, it's a carefully orchestrated ballet. Everybody doing his part.
Everything on that floor is heavy, and in motion. If you screw up, you or someone else can get hurt, or killed. If you land a gig, look around at the people you are working with. Avoid being around the guys who are missing fingers...

Get used to being dirty. It's nasty work. I remember being covered in drill mud and crude oil most of the time I was working. You wont want to wash your work clothes in your home washer. Take them to a laundry mat, and use the commercial machines.

I loved being on the floor when the rig was working. I hated the setup, and tear down of the rig and site.

If nothing else, you'll get a birds eye view of how the oil and gas industry works.

Good Luck!
Top Top