Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 4:27:54 AM EDT
I moved to Rochester, NY from Suffolk County where I had a Pistol permit. Took 3 weeks for my transfer to a Monroe County permit. Monroe County has NO renewal and Carry unrestricted. In this shitty town I carry 90% of the time especially at night. What do others do who are from this area?? I have a bagamaster ankle holster with a G27 or sometimes my Warthog .45 ACP, depending on my mood.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't answer your question, but I may be making that exact same move in the near future. How was the transfer process from Suffolk to Monroe? Smooth... or a pain in the arse?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#2]
jark, AFAIK you must file a new application for a pistol license in Monroe. When your current permit expires it will become void. Did the Monroe agency who handles pistol licenses tell you something different?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#3]
tag for the learning experience.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#4]
www.troopers.state.ny.us/FAQs/Firearms/relocate.cfm

Q - If a licensee was issued a renewable pistol permit and then relocates to a county where pistol permits are issued "good until revoked," does the pistol permit automatically become "good until revoked" upon transferring it to the new county?

No. While the Penal Law does provide for the transfer of licenses from one county to another, it does not permit the changing of the expiration date of the license when one has been assigned.

The license may be transferred and will remain in full effect until the expiration date has been reached. At that time the individual will become unlicensed, unless application has been made with the appropriate licensing authorities for a new "good until revoked" license.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.troopers.state.ny.us/FAQs/Firearms/relocate.cfm

Q - If a licensee was issued a renewable pistol permit and then relocates to a county where pistol permits are issued "good until revoked," does the pistol permit automatically become "good until revoked" upon transferring it to the new county?

No. While the Penal Law does provide for the transfer of licenses from one county to another, it does not permit the changing of the expiration date of the license when one has been assigned.

The license may be transferred and will remain in full effect until the expiration date has been reached. At that time the individual will become unlicensed, unless application has been made with the appropriate licensing authorities for a new "good until revoked" license.

So does that mean he has to fill out a new application and wait the 1 year to have it approved or does he call the clerks office and make other arrangements?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So does that mean he has to fill out a new application and wait the 1 year to have it approved or does he call the clerks office and make other arrangements?

I was told that you must start from scratch as if you were currently unlicensed. Maybe Monroe county thinks   this is BS and has some type of fast track option. When the Albany critters passed these expiring licenses in NC, SC and WC they didn't amend the transfer provision in the law. The PL should be amended as it makes no sense if you are currently licensed to have to start the whole process over again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was told that you must start from scratch as if you were currently unlicensed. Maybe Monroe county thinks   this is BS and has some type of fast track option. When the Albany critters passed these expiring licenses in NC, SC and WC they didn't amend the transfer provision in the law. The PL should be amended as it makes no sense if you are currently licensed to have to start the whole process over again.

Ahhh man, that stinks. What a terrible practice. I hope he has enough time on his current permit to cover the 1yr wait here in Monroe Co.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe MC just issued him a new license. If so good for them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#9]
monroe county is a 1 year wait?
WTF
move to Chautauqua and get an unrestricted permit in less than 3 months
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
monroe county is a 1 year wait?
WTF
move to Chautauqua and get an unrestricted permit in less than 3 months

Yep, a one year wait. Happy happy joy joy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I have NO expiration date on my pistol permit. IT's for life. Check it out Monroe County, NY. As far as the Suffolok County transfer. I went to Police Headquartes in Yaphank told them I was moving to Rochester,NY. They sent my records to Monroe. I received a letter from The Monroe County clerk wanting Pictures and for me to appear. I went down signed some forms and within 2 weeks I had my permit, NO PROBLEM AT ALL. Cost is $3 to ammend. Nice people, NO SUFFOLK POLICE ASSHOLES like at Yaphank. MY permit says "CARRY" so I do at times. I am within the Law.  And to end this email. I rather take my chances in court than on an OR table. So if I need to I will kill someone.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Here are the transfer regulations as explained by the SCPD. HERIf you should move out of the five western towns of Suffolk County and relocate within New York State, Section 400.00 subd. 5 allows you to transfer your application or records to the appropriate officer at your new place of residence. In order to accomplish this, you must notify the Suffolk County Police Department Pistol Licensing Bureau within ten (10) days of your moving and file with that bureau a transfer of record form with a $5.00 transfer fee. If your new licensing jurisdiction does not issue you a replacement license and requires you to re-apply through them for a new license, either immediately or upon expiration of the license issued by Suffolk County, be advised that until that jurisdiction issues you a license, Suffolk County will continue to be your issuing agency. Therefore, until they issue you a license you may not obtain purchase documents or file amendments with them. All transactions must continue to be done at the Suffolk County Police Department Pistol Licensing Bureau. (Section 400.00 subd. 9)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I Did not have to start from "scratch" I turned in my Suffolk County permit, waited a few weeks a obtained my Monroe County Permit NO waiting, NO fingerprints, only 2 photos. I have NO expiration date on my permit. And in the top left corner it says "CARRY" so I guess according to Monroe County I can "CARRY" unrescricted, so I do.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#14]
It was the some for me when I trans from Monroe to Livingston Co
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:12:06 AM EDT
[#15]
That's great Jark. It's too bad not all counties handle transfers like Monroe apparently does.

I hope you gave Suffolk County the finger when you left.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Jark: Welcome to Rochester. You have actually found why Monroe County is one of the top counties to get a permit in. The wait time can vary from  4 months to almost a year, depending on the volume at the time you submit the paperwork. You actually helped by sending all the info ahead of your move. The clerks' office has become more and more agreeable in regards to permits. Both the county clerk and the county exec are firearm friendly.

On another note, now you can get some training and have fun too! Stop out to a range called the Genesee Conservation League, which is just East of Rochester in Penfield.  Every Tuesday I run a concealed carry shoot that draws one of the best crowds of shooters in the area. The match is built around a scenario and we emphasize good tactics and safety, which we will teach you. We start at 5:15 and run until 9. There is a new shooter orientation to get you geared for the scenarios and then, for your first night, you shoot for free! PM me for directions or more details.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been here since 8/03. Lately, I've been wanting to get back into some shooting, but I couldnt find a range. In Suffolk County they have town ranges in almost every town. So when I wanted to shoot, I would pick up some ammo and targets and go. Here in W NY I cant believe there are no town ranges. Thanks for the invite I may see you when the weather gets warmer. Regards
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#18]
FYI:   We run the match on a nice, heated, indoor range......every Tuesday, rain or shine, we are there. We are the only game in town that draws a steady, reliable crowd every week. Besides - it's a hell of a lot of fun too!!

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:02:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I own 6 handguns and a few rifles. I would like to shoot my AR. Let me know what I should bring and whats the cost?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:40:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#21]
whats the date on the show??
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey homeys,

My Monroe County PP paperwork has been filed since 10/06/05, so I am hoping it'll only be....a few more months...before my permit comes back to me.

I am planning on a g19 as a carry piece, but right now it is only dreams of sugar plums dancing in my head waiting on the permit fairies to grant me my wish. I agree jark, the Shitty of Rochester is a scary place to be in the dark, just mind the city gun ordinance.

The spring show is usually in april sometime...I always end up working saturday and miss the ARF crew. If i know the date in advance I can request off and meet some of the gang.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:29:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I own a g19 and a few other glocks. The g19 I find is too big for my carry. I have a g27 and a para warthog that are small enough for concealed. I own 4 glocks, g20, g23, g19 and a g27. I have a SW snub and the warthog in .45. Think about the concealment of the g19, its quite large and I have found it very hard to conceal. But the mother is so accurate. The more I shot it the more accurate it got. I think they are the best handguns. Reliable, easy to clean. Good luck, before you know it your permit will be there. Whats the deal on city ordinance for guns??

See you at the show!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:31:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hey homeys,

My Monroe County PP paperwork has been filed since 10/06/05, so I am hoping it'll only be....a few more months...before my permit comes back to me.

I am planning on a g19 as a carry piece, but right now it is only dreams of sugar plums dancing in my head waiting on the permit fairies to grant me my wish. I agree jark, the Shitty of Rochester is a scary place to be in the dark, just mind the city gun ordinance.

The spring show is usually in april sometime...I always end up working saturday and miss the ARF crew. If i know the date in advance I can request off and meet some of the gang.

I own a g19 and a few other glocks. The g19 I find is too big for my carry. I have a g27 and a para warthog that are small enough for concealed. I own 4 glocks, g20, g23, g19 and a g27. I have a SW snub and the warthog in .45. Think about the concealment of the g19, its quite large and I have found it very hard to conceal. But the mother is so accurate. The more I shot it the more accurate it got. I think they are the best handguns. Reliable, easy to clean. Good luck, before you know it your permit will be there. Whats the deal on city ordinance for guns??

See you at the show!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:28:22 AM EDT
[#25]
www.domecenter.com/calendar.html#April

Event : Gun Show
Date : April 1-2, 2006
Building : Dome & Minett Hall
Time : Sat: 9am-4pm, Sun: 9am-3pm
Admission : $7.00
Please Note : Children under 10 NOT admitted.

We will be going on April 1st.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
www.domecenter.com/calendar.html#April

Event : Gun Show
Date : April 1-2, 2006
Building : Dome & Minett Hall
Time : Sat: 9am-4pm, Sun: 9am-3pm
Admission : $7.00
Please Note : Children under 10 NOT admitted.

We will be going on April 1st.

Good stuff SP10.
I gotta start saving some dough now...
I turned in my CCW pistol permit in early August, it has been over 6 months and still nothing
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Rochester crew, would be interested in meeting on April 1st at the Dome show. Please keep us informed about details. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top