Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 12/29/2005 9:09:22 AM EST
Anyone else interested in visiting the CMP North store at Camp Perry to select your own Garand / 1903 / etc from a rack and bring it home?

Here's the inventory list: www.odcmp.com/Store.htm

You'd need to be pre-qualified with the CMP to purchase, this isn't a retail gun dealership. Details of the qualification are on the CMP website: www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/eligibility_requirements.htm
Note that they formerly accepted any FID as meeting the marksmanship criteria, but now it says that only a FID with live fire training is accepted, so a NJ FID alone won't qualify you, but any CCW including Florida will, or any NRA shooting class, etc. But if you live in NJ you must have a NJ FID or they will not sell a rifle to you regardless of other qualifications.

They're open M-F and Saturday. It is a long drive from the NYC area, and I can't quite justify taking a few days from work to make this trip. I'd need to visit on a Saturday, which means driving most of Friday night to be able to leave after work.

Is anyone else interested in splitting the driving for such a trip? Yes, I could do the drive straight through, but then I wouldn't be in the best mental condition to browse the guns when I got there, and that somewhat defeats the purpose.

I've got a SUV that could be the trip vehicle, and it wouldn't have any problems with unexpected snow.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:27:52 AM EST
I just did it about a month ago. Well worth it in my opinion. Here is a thread with some of my pics and an after action report
CMP North Store
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:15:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:26:35 AM EST
Lets try this:

CMP North Store
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:41:00 PM EST
That'd be an awesome trip...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:06:20 PM EST
I've thought about it several times, but never made the trip.
It' still a pretty good trip accross Ohio once you cross the NY line.
The Thruway can be a fickle bitch, but the road crews keep it bare.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:10:51 PM EST
Another rifle I want. Have to join a club that the CMP recognizes first.

Damn, you guys keep making suggestions that suck the money out of my wallet. Not that that's a bad thing.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:20:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Strats:
Another rifle I want. Have to join a club that the CMP recognizes first.

Here you go: New York State Rifle and Pistol Association

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:32:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By Strats:
Another rifle I want. Have to join a club that the CMP recognizes first.

Also Garand Collector's Association
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:48:16 PM EST
When would you be making the trip? Depending on when it was, I might be interested. I also have to join a qualified club, like the GCA. Ill also have to get the marksmanship qualification, or does membership in GCA count for that as well?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:00:35 AM EST
I've been thinking about making the trip also. Too bad I'm upstate
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:14:17 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:45:27 AM EST
The Garand Collectors Association is a great organization but if you're in NY you should be joining the NYSRPA. They are the organization that is helping to protect your RKBA in NY. In true ARFCOM fashion join both!

If you're interested in service rifle competion check out the New York State Highpower Rifle League.


Did you know New York State has now won the Civilian Service Rifle National Team Championship five times? In 1878, 1879, 1996, 2001 and 2004! In addition, our Juniors were also National Champions twice, in 2000 and 2003.

From 100 to 1000 yards, New Yorkers have the opportunity to shoot high power matches at multiple locations. The New York State Rifle & Pistol Association (NYSRPA) sponsors a significant number of events each year. Commencing in April, we begin with two Small Arms Firing Schools (SAFS) for the service rifle enthusiast. Subsequent to that, we sponsor a Memorial Day Weekend Regional Championship, followed by three state championships: The three New York state championships are: Standard, (200-600 yards), Long Range, (600-800-900-1000 yards), and Service Rifle (200-600 yards). With the exception of a few long range sub-events, all shooting is done with iron (aperture) sights.

There are two ranges in New York State to 600 yards, one of them to 1000 yards. They are respectively, Camp Smith at Cortlandt Manor (vicinity Peekskill), and Forbes R&P Club at Colonie. Forbes also introduces an international flavor, hosting annual PALMA matches which draws shooters from Canada, as well as adjacent states that do not have 1000 yard ranges. In addition to these major events there are many local matches held at various clubs across the state with ranges of 100 to 300 yards. Many clubs have leagues.

New York State has a very significant junior high power rifle program, and it's growing every day. We think it's the best in America. If you want to meet some young people that will restore your faith in human nature, come on out to the ranges and don't be surprised if your instructor is about 16 and pretty as a picture! They can shoot too; witness their National Champion status.

All the events mentioned herein are documented in our bi-monthly publication, The Bullet. You'll meet a lot of fine folks in high power competition - folks who will go out of their way to see that you get started properly. So, join in - sign up. And, we'll see you on the range!

New York State Highpower Rifle

Garand Collectors Association



By law, the CMP can sell surplus military firearms, ammunition, parts and other items only to members of CMP affiliated clubs who are also U.S. citizens, over 18 years of age and who are legally eligible to purchase a firearm.

U.S. Citizenship:

You must provide a copy of a U.S. birth certificate, passport, proof of naturalization, or any official government document that shows birth in the U.S. or states citizenship as U.S.


You must provide proof of age. Usually proof of citizenship also provides proof of age. In those cases where it may not, a driver’s license is sufficient.
Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization

You must provide a copy of your current membership card or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated organizations located in many parts of the country.

Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our "CLUB Info" tab on our web site at www.odcmp.com. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing custserve@odcmp.com. We will find one for you. In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.
Note: Club membership IS required for purchase of rifles, parts, and ammunition.
Club membership is NOT required for instructional publications or videos or CMP memorabilia.
Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

• Current or past military service.

• Current or past law enforcement service

• Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).

• Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).

• Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.

• Concealed Carry License.

• Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.

• FFL or C&R license.

• Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.

• Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

• No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.

NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Be Legally Eligible to Purchase a Firearm

The information you supply on your application will be submitted by the CMP to the FBI National Instant Criminal Check System (NICS) to verify you are not prohibited by Federal, State or Local law from acquiring or possessing a rifle. Your signature on the Purchaser Certification portion of the purchase application authorizes the CMP to initiate the NICS check and authorizes the FBI to inform CMP of the result. IMPORTANT: If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your license, permit, or card with the application for purchase.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:56:45 AM EST
Who's got a winnebago???
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:01:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 4:02:47 AM EST by GoingIncognito]
Mapquest.com claims it is a 8 hours and 32 minute trip of 520.73 miles from Trenton, with 349.6 of that being on the PA Turnpike . That could be done in a day easily...It's the return trip that'd be tough .

Mapquest Directions to North Store from Trenton

Feel free to revise the starting point with your location to see how far away it is for you, but I think most of us are going to be in the same boat time-wise.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:41:22 AM EST
The Association of NJ Rifle & Pistol Clubs www.anjrpc.org/ is a CMP affiliate, has a 300 yard range on which you can shoot the CMP guns properly, is cheap to join, and all around good.

If you were to tell them you wanted proof of membership in a hurry for a CMP order they'd probably even accomodate that.

How about Friday February 3rd as a trip date? And maybe we rent an oversized van.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:49:33 AM EST
I went to perry this summer and was able to rent a bed in the barracks for $11/ night. Im not sure if it was just becuase of the nationals or not but might be worth looking into if your going to make an 8 hour trip.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:09:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By BoreSighted:
How about Friday February 3rd as a trip date? And maybe we rent an oversized van.

Any chance of going during the week? Friday night traffic is going to be a bitch to even get to Trenton and the CMP store is likely to be crowded on a Saturday.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:21:22 PM EST
I would go for the trip
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:14:58 PM EST
9hrs 24 mins to North Store for me
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:10:04 PM EST

I was a member of the NYSRPA for one year. Back in 2003 the CMP was selling off the last of their M-1 Carbines for junior shooters. The request had to be approved by the high power director of your state rifle and pistol association and if approved, the carbine was yours but had to be made available to junior shooters in the association for a period of one year. I sent the NYSRPA high power director an e-mail request explaining the program and asking him to authorize me to purchase one for my then 14 year old son.

In his reply, he basically told me to fuck off. He said that M-1 carbines sucked and that the AR-15 was a much better weapon to teach high power skills on and that I could bring my son to Peekskill on such and such a date...yada, yada, yada.


I wonder how many he bought for him and his buddies.

NYSRPA....FUCK EM! Not another cent to those fucks.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:08:06 PM EST
Tell us how you really feel
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:17:08 AM EST
Geez TRW, the NYSRPA is the largest gun rigts org. in NY so you shouldn't give up on them because of one incident with a program director. Did you complain to th NYSRPA board of directors about the way you were treated?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:35:59 PM EST
+1 on what rkbar15 said...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:50:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By rkbar15:
Geez TRW, the NYSRPA is the largest gun rigts org. in NY so you shouldn't give up on them because of one incident with a program director. Did you complain to th NYSRPA board of directors about the way you were treated?

Nope....maybe I should have, but why would they take my side over his.

Moot point now....I'm only in NY for another 6 months anyway.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:03:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 5:05:13 PM EST by cas]
You Jersey boys... remember that gas in most of NY is 30¢ to 40¢ more a gallon.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:28:42 PM EST
So to get back on track...

I'm proposing a friday night drive, driving out from the NYC area on February 3rd. Anyone coming from anywhere else could drive to an agreed departure point, leave their car, and then be returned to the same point when we get back some time late Saturday night.

I need to know how many people are really interested so that I can find appropriate pricing for a vehicle - if it is just me and one other person, my truck will do, but if there are 5, then we'd need a van to have room for us and some rifles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:52:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 2:18:03 PM EST by cas]
It sounds like a fun trip... I'd love to go.

I'd love to go and pick up an H&R ($550)
Nice field grade for my nephew. ($400)
Maybe a Danish woodless racker for some WWII era parts I need ($295)

By Febuary I'll only be about $1245 shy of being able to pay for em.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:16:48 PM EST
Id really like to go, but I dont think I can get my paperwork (affiliated club & shooting qualification) in time for the trip.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:50:36 AM EST
The GCA is real quick with notifying the CMP about your membership, but as far as the shooting qualification who knows. At worst, you only need a Range Official or LEO to sign off on your knowledge of shooting and safe handling of firearms.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:49:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By Fishpaw:
Id really like to go, but I dont think I can get my paperwork (affiliated club & shooting qualification) in time for the trip.

You don't meet any of the qualifications I listed on page 1? Like Going said the GCA will notify (if you want them to) the CMP of your club affiliation when they receive your application.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:40:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By goodorbit:
Who's got a winnebago???

Did someone say winnebago?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:58:04 AM EST
I am in send me a IM or e-mail to...edpmedic@optonline.net I need to get the letter from my club.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:38:45 PM EST
What ever came of all this? As fate should have it, I just got my GCA membership today.....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:40:37 AM EST
I'm waiting for a replacement card from ANJRPC... So maybe in a few more weeks, but I plan to do it.
Top Top