Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2014 5:04:13 AM EDT
Where does NY's taxpayer's money keep going?  Over the past few years I've noticed that the conditions of many roads in NY are rapidly declining.  No maintenance is being done to these roads and the little maintenance that is being done is a joke.  A patch here and there on roads that actually need to be repaved.  I realize winter has just ended and the season really takes a toll on road conditions but many roads haven't seen any attempts to get even some minor repairs.  I drive 34 mile commute one way, not one road I travel is in decent shape.  One of the roads started with deteriorating shoulders to no shoulders and now the deterioration has worked its way to the center of the road where cars travel.  This isn't some back road either its a high traffic road that acts as a shortcut between two areas.  This isn't just a rant about road conditions but more about where our tax money is going because it certainly isn't going into anything important.  You would think the way New Yorkers are taxed things in the state would be a lot better.  End of rant...for now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:25:32 AM EDT
[#1]
LOL.  NY sucks.  In literally every way imaginable and even some ways you can't imagine!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:21:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Cuomo has significantly cut spending. I'm in the construction management/engineering business (but not road work) but from what I'm hearing from guys in the transportation world....they're doing nothing but bare bones bandaids to roads and bridges. I have projects going that are larger than the entire annual DOT budget for some regions. Its bad
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:40:47 AM EDT
[#3]
When I was driving back to WNY from Washington DC I came up through PA. The 219 in PA was smooth as could be. As soon as I hit the the welcome to NY sign no joke I was off-roading. It was so bad I actually had to slow my speed down. It's embarrassing
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I demand lower taxes!!
- I demand better roads!

I demand a commute without road work!
-I don't want to pay overtime for work to be done at night!

See how this works?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Our fearless leaders laugh at the notion of fulfilling basic functions of government.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#6]
That's not how it works….  not when we're collecting plenty of money. But we're busy giving it away buying votes.  Just like your federal tax dollars. Every bill that's passed it loaded with pork, money for unneeded projects, programs, entitlements, give aways and hand outs, essentially buying votes, nothing more.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#7]
It's just aggravating that you have to swerve to miss a pot hole in the road only to hit another one.  You hit some of these holes in the road and you feel like you're falling to the other side of the planet.  Somebody, somewhere is lining their pockets with our hard earned money because us average Joes certainly aren't seeing any benefits to our tax dollars.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was driving back to WNY from Washington DC I came up through PA. The 219 in PA was smooth as could be. As soon as I hit the the welcome to NY sign no joke I was off-roading. It was so bad I actually had to slow my speed down. It's embarrassing
View Quote

Man, it's the exact opposite here in the Binghamton area.  Roads here in the area suck. Big potholes, etc.   The roads right over the PA border look like logging roads.  No shit, they make our roads look like freshly paved superhighways.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:52:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Its a good point to get non gun people out to vote .
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's not how it works….  not when we're collecting plenty of money. But we're busy giving it away buying votes.  Just like your federal tax dollars. Every bill that's passed it loaded with pork, money for unneeded projects, programs, entitlements, give aways and hand outs, essentially buying votes, nothing more.
View Quote

It is how it works. You're illustrating the larger problem of .gov as a whole. Of course, money going to the wrong places, & .gov waste everywhere. Especially so with the corrupt to the core ny way of patronage and back room deals.
The dot has a budget. We all want less taxes. You don't get a decrease, or even status quo, by asking for MORE and BETTER services. You get an increase in taxes.
Same with schools. Same with police and fire.
Really simple economics when you take away the larger picture of .gov waste and corruption. Stuff costs money. Better stuff costs MORE money.
No politician in their right mind is going to campaign on taking money from the schools, or the popo, to give to the dot. They're going to campaign either on taxing and spending, or cuts across the board.
Pick your poison. There is no magical reform that's going to happen in ny.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its a good point to get non gun people out to vote .
View Quote

I thought that back when our governor was caught banging out of state prostitutes, and the incompetence of his replacement became so well known that it was the center of every joke on SNL. "There's no way people will vote democrat now!", I said.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Welfare aint cheap.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, a few months ago the same happened to me.  

Literally as soon as I saw the NY sign the road pretty much ended and may have gone slightly airborne.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#14]
The roads here in WNY are the worst they have been since I have moved here, which was in 2004 :/
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I demand lower taxes!!
- I demand better roads!

I demand a commute without road work!
-I don't want to pay overtime for work to be done at night!

See how this works in NY?
View Quote

FIFY

Lower taxes and better roads don't need to be mutually exclusive.

We also shouldn't be paying overtime for people to work a normal 40 hour work week if they work at night, nor should NY have a law specifying that all public projects must pay prevailing union wages.  Of course, there's as much chance of that changing as there is of Prince Andy waking up tomorrow and thinking "you know, maybe that SAFE Act wasn't such a good idea after all"
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Warning: long run on sentence ahead.

Once prince Andy establishes the new Road service chain gangs to punish those evil felons who dare question his absolute authority by using the MR 2 To fix a mag in Those baby killing evil  AR15 rifles the roads will be smooth as a baby's ass!

He & the NYSP HEAD COP WILL LAUGH! HA-HA, THEY THOUGHT RED LOCTITE WAS PERMANENT!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Might as well be dirt roads where i live.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#18]
If I don't have money to buy food, because I spend all my money on scratch off lottery tickets, I don't have a food problem or a money problem.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Welfare aint cheap.
View Quote

This here. Im getting blow-outs & they are paying some POS to not contribute to society.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Every gallon of gas sold in NYS for the past decade  has had a 5 cent surcharge that was supposed to be dedicated to road repair
The Dems have raided that "dedicated" fund so badly that 3/4 of the money has gone to things other than road repairs
Then they complain that there is no money to fix roads
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:22:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Every gallon of gas sold in NYS for the past decade  has had a 5 cent surcharge that was supposed to be dedicated to road repair
The Dems have raised that "dedicated" fund so badly that 3/4 of the money has gone to things other than road repairs
View Quote

This +1000.

Are roads in the NYC and LI area in this kind of crap shape? I wonder......?

Hell, wasn't the "profit" from the entire Lottery system supposed to be used for the education system? Where I live now (small town of about 1200) they're on the brink of closing the school district and merging it with surrounding districts. So the kids would have minimum 40 mile round trips to school, and the local economy takes another whack and the local government looses more tax base.

But, everyone will be more dependent on guess who? - FED.GOV - all part of the plan - hence Common Core, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:42:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just read where some State Senator porked the people for something like 12 million dollars to a College in his district for flood damage abatement: well a local reported that not only was there no damage, flood waters have never even been close to the facility.
Maybe it's just me, but I notice details on things like bridges, buildings, and roadways; when there are substandard conditions, filth, wear, poor maintenance, et.al.  Take a trip down that well funded road (paid for by heavy Tolls) called the "Thru-Way" and pay attention to the bridges overpassing: notice how many have rusted rebar and wire mesh poking through chipped out concrete, rusted beams from chipped paint....Next time you're at the Capital take a good hard look at the buildings, their entrances, hell everything except the floors (those are usually well cleaned & polished) now put it into the context that NY is the "Empire State" boasting the largest City, the best and highest finances, the highest standards for professionalism, education, and reform! then realize its all a farce designed to make those in control richer and more powerful at our expense.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Dems have raised that "dedicated" fund so badly that 3/4 of the money has gone to things other than road repairs
View Quote

When you cross into NYS gasoline prices easily go up 30~40 cents, and at one point last Summer I noticed .50 a gallon more than States such as PA, OH, KY, TN, etc.
One place in Alabama I paid $3.39 a gallon for regular right now on Post it's $3.74 (usually a few cents cheaper there than in town)  
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are roads in the NYC and LI area in this kind of crap shape? I ].
View Quote

To answer your question, the roads in NYC & LI are in terrible shape, probably worse than upstate roads.
The worst road conditions since the mid 1970's.
I stopped driving my nicer vehicles after wrecking 4 tires & bending 2 expensive rims, I'm driving my Jeep until road conditions improve.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This +1000.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This +1000.

It was supposed to be "raided"
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Not only gas.. go look at your registration for your cars and fees you pay for it.. This communist shite hole is just a money sucking scam.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Not sure how this is a surprise for anyone, we have one of if not the most corrupt bloated state governments in the country.

ETA: Ive watched the same pothole grow for the past 5 years and no one has even tried to patch it, and on another road they keep patching holes after every winter to the point its more patching than actual road.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Upstate even around Albany the roads are absolute garbage. I have come across several potholes that had I hit, it would have swallowed my entire GMC Sierra's tire whole. I feel more as if I'm off-roading more than not in certain areas. Even I-90 near Albany is absolute garbage.

Last time I was down driving through Queens on one of the parkways I destroyed a headlamp and bottomed out my G6 sedan on a pothole... Fun times. It's almost like the roads are kept up.

ETA: Just surfed around Google StreetView - It appears they haven't resurfaced the roads in over 3years, the 2011 imagery matches the current cracks/etc in most of the roads I can find, except now they're like 500x larger.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 2:59:53 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Quoted:

How did the Dems raid it without the cooperation of the Republicans in the Senate?  Just saying neither party is blameless. All they care about is power and money and screwing us.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:04:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How did the Dems raid it without the cooperation of the Republicans in the Senate?  Just saying neither party is blameless. All they care about is power and money and screwing us.
View Quote

I agree, but since the majority party in control is without a doubt the Dems, I'll assign them the majority of the blame.
Not to mention, the reason the "dedicated" fund had to be raided at all was probably mostly to cover Dem social programs.....
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:06:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not only gas.. go look at your registration for your cars and fees you pay for it.. This communist shite hole is just a money sucking scam.
View Quote

No vehicle inspections in SC!
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but don't they charge property tax on vehicles?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do, that's true.  I think payable with the registration.  It's pretty cheap, though based on my research and it has a lot to do with the age of the vehicles.

I wonder about NC - don't know.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes to NC, Georgia  and Virginia too.

ETA:

It's all titled vehicles. Boats, motorcycles, trailers, etc.....

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#35]
This thread should be titled, The roads are so bad......

The road outside of Lowes in Dewitt (Syracuse area) is so bad,..... I know a fella that blew two tires on the drivers side of his car exiting the parking lot onto the roadway. TWO TIRES....Lowes said, that it was City owned property and they had requested that they be filled many times and when he contacted the City, they told him they don't pay for damages caused by the road over the winter months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top