Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2005 6:20:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I see older guys break that rule all the time. I guess they are too good for it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Stupid

Dumb

Son-of-a-bitch

Why do I sense there is a "hold my beer" in there somewhere too..........
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, that's just a few miles from my place...

Lebanon is a bunch more redneck than Albany, I've found that out since moving just outside of town...
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
www.lebanon-express.com/articles/2005/10/05/news/headline/news03gunshot.txt

The driver, James Wiens, 43, of Crabtree, told deputies he removed a 7mm bolt action rifle from the car and placed it on the roof of the vehicle, at which time it fired and hit Brickeen. Weins said the older rifle was not malfunctioning and he must have had his finger on the trigger, Riley said. Wiens' hands were still on the rifle when it went off.
The cardinal rule of gun safety is not to have your finger on the trigger unless you're ready to fire, Riley said.

"That's a rule that's often violated and sometimes has tragic results," he said.

Any one want to ask why the firearm was loaded in the first place while in the car?

The Four Rules

The way I see it, he violated all of the First Four.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
So a round was chambered, the safety was off, and he put his finger on the trigger?  Oh boy.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So a round was chambered, the safety was off, and he put his finger on the trigger?  Oh boy.  

AND it was pointed in an unsafe direction (another person).

dingdingding!!! "You WIN!!!  You violated all four firearms safety rules, and take home this lovely pair of stainless steel bracelets.  Your friend recieves our lovely parting gift, a 7mm round in the shoulder."

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Stupid

Dumb

Son-of-a-bitch

Word!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Why must people try so hard for those darwin awards?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.lebanon-express.com/articles/2005/10/05/news/headline/news03gunshot.txt

Finger may have been on trigger

Lebanon man in fair condition with gunshot wound

By A.K. Dugan, Lebanon Express writer

A Lebanon man was shot early Monday morning when a rifle laid on top of a vehicle discharged. The owner of the gun told Linn County Sheriff's deputies that he may have had his finger on the trigger, said Capt. Bruce Riley.

Devon Brickeen, 28, of Lebanon, was treated at Samaritan Lebanon Community Hospital for a gunshot wound in the right shoulder. Deputies were told his injuries did not appear to be life-threatening. He was treated at SLCH and transferred to Sacred Heart Hospital in Eugene, where he was in fair condition on Tuesday morning.

He and three other people were about five miles up the 600 line off McDowell Creek Road, on privately-owned land that is open for hunting. They were planning to spend the remainder of the night in their car, a 1992 two-door Toyota, before hunting in the morning. About 12:40 a.m. they stopped to take a break.

The driver, James Wiens, 43, of Crabtree, told deputies he removed a 7mm bolt action rifle from the car and placed it on the roof of the vehicle, at which time it fired and hit Brickeen. Weins said the older rifle was not malfunctioning and he must have had his finger on the trigger, Riley said. Wiens' hands were still on the rifle when it went off.

The incident occurred about 12:40 a.m. on privately-owned land that is open for hunting.

The men drove to McDowell Creek Park, about 12 miles southeast of Lebanon, where they met Sweet Home medics and sheriff's deputies.

All parties involved in the incident have been interviewed. No charges had been filed as of Tuesday morning. Deputies are continuing to investigate. The case will be reviewed by the district attorney, Riley said.

The cardinal rule of gun safety is not to have your finger on the trigger unless you're ready to fire, Riley said.

"That's a rule that's often violated and sometimes has tragic results," he said.

Yes...  it just fired.  Sure...     "at which point he shot himself" is how it should read.

Mark.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#10]
WOW!  Point a loaded rifle at your friend and have your finger on the trigger.

A 7mm in the torso... the guy is lucky to be alive all things considered.

want to be he was messing with something in his left hand and got a sympathetic squeeze with the right?

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Stupid

Dumb

Son-of-a-bitch

Exactly!! WooHoo beer and guns....here's your sign!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top