Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 4:24:29 AM EDT
Apparantly there is some sort of gas shortage in the area. Gas prices have spiked to over $3.30 a gallon in less then two days and there is talk that they might be running out of supply. Anyone have any more details than this? I was born in the 80's, I'm not used to have to waiting in line for gas!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#1]
There is no shortage, just F.U.D. which you my friend are spreading.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:03:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Two of the petroleum pipelines (Colonial and ??) between the gulf and the mid-atlantic region were down earlier this week due to power outages.  One of those pipelines terminated in Richmond, the other in NY.

Now they're both back up, but not running at 100% capacity.  So yes, there was a temporary shortage of petroleum products on the east coast, which will cause the price to go up.  Things should stabilize soon.
http://www.colpipe.com/press_release/pr_73.asp

My husband and I were in Winchester, VA yesterday.  The Flying J just north of Winchester on I-81 was completely out of gasoline at lunchtime, and they didn't expect to have any more diesel by dinner time.  This is a MAJOR truck stop.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:39:06 AM EDT
[#3]
shortages at individual gas stations also have a lot to do with the carrier they use and who the gas is bought from,
the contract they have with the terminals also plays into this

usually, or so i was told by someone in the business, your contract will only allow you to pull an average of what you purchased in the past 30 days (gallons not $$)

there are allowances for times and events like these, however when supply doesn't keep up with a spike in demand, allocations are cut based on prior need,

i have heard of several stations on the southside that were out of fuel, but were back in business as soon as a load was delivered
hope that helps
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#4]
The Pilot in Hopewell was out of regular this morning (0500).  I got gas in Prince George at the East Coast for $3.29/gallon.  Luckily, that should last me two weeks if all I do is go to work and back.  The quickie mart down the street from my house (Hopewell) has regular for $2.99/gallon.  Wonder how long that will last?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a shortage 'cause a pipeline went down. Until it catches up, there will be issues.

I heard that gas stations in Chesterfield are shutting down, so I went and filled up (no lines). My dad and I are heading back to PA for the weekend anyway.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]
There were a couple stations on Staples Mill that were out around lunchtime, the rest had gas.

There's no supply issue at the moment - thought it's getting pretty pricey.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#7]
chevron down on paterson, just east of the goochland county line, was out tonight.  Don't know how long they were empty, don't know when they'll get more.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:13:36 AM EDT
[#8]
FWIW,  We've had a few stations close down here in the "valley" too.  Prices are around $3.19/gal
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:29:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
... I'm not used to have to waiting in line for gas!

I am – I remember the gas shortage in the 70’s quite vividly.  For me, it’s “déjà vu all over again!”

I also remember hearing that the primary cause of the shortage back then was everybody panicking and topping off their gas tanks.  Sound familiar?

And I wonder when people are going to start stealing gas out of someone else’s car?

Anyway, of the half dozen gas stations near me here in NOVA, only one has run out of gas thus far.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]
i went on base today at Ft. Myer, gas was $2.94 a gallon for regular and they were out of premium.

they also had a sign on every pump that said to please not pump more than 10 gallons so everyone will be able to get gas and get to their destinations.

something like that.  there was a line, but very small compared to what i saw on the news, i waited only like 3 minutes to fill up.  not bad, just topped off the car with like 5 gallons or so.  need to top off the Titan soon just to make sure.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Supposedly there was a Shell station near me (Rt. 29 and Union Mill Rd) that was shut down for gouging (~$5/gal).  Most local stations seem to be about $3.19/gal, but did see a station just west of the South Riding area that was $3.99/gal (that also had a sign saying something to the effect of "lowest gas prices").
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Two of the petroleum pipelines (Colonial and ??) between the gulf and the mid-atlantic region were down earlier this week due to power outages.  One of those pipelines terminated in Richmond, the other in NY.

Now they're both back up, but not running at 100% capacity.  So yes, there was a temporary shortage of petroleum products on the east coast, which will cause the price to go up.  Things should stabilize soon.
http://www.colpipe.com/press_release/pr_73.asp

My husband and I were in Winchester, VA yesterday.  The Flying J just north of Winchester on I-81 was completely out of gasoline at lunchtime, and they didn't expect to have any more diesel by dinner time.  This is a MAJOR truck stop.

You were 10 mins from me and never called
FWIW flying J Pumps MAJOR gallons per day, any "burp" in the pipeline will be felt quickly there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:07:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You were 10 mins from me and never called

Well heck, we didn't know you were there!

We're moving from Sterling, VA to Inwood, WV next spring.  Know anyone who needs an IT-type in that area?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top