Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2005 7:06:11 AM EDT
Since many of us have had the pleasure of meeting Dave (and shooting his .458 ), I thought I'd post my positive experience with his refinishing process.  I sent this to him for use on his website, The Gun Garage, a while ago, but wanted you all to know too.

In interest of full disclosure, I'm simply relaying personal experiences and have no financial interest in this matter.  Although I like his work, so he'll be seeing some of my guns in the future...does that count?  

For the full version, including pictures, check out the bottom of his Testimonials page.  In short, we have two Remington 870s that are permanently stored in squad cars, and the blasted things kept trying to rust on me because of condensation and poor storage conditions.  (A cloth case in a trunk just isn't good!).  I tried everything, including automotive wax, Boeshield T9, CLP, and Flitz.  The one kept in front of the heating duct in a passenger compartment was particularly susceptible.  Nothing lasted longer than about 3 months before rust appeared.

Having seen David's DuraCoated AR15 at the October '04 Defensive Edge class, I thought I'd try it out.  It's worked great!

I'm not going to give an extensive review of the DuraCoat finish itself, because that's available elsewhere.  What really impressed me about the whole experience was David's careful attention to detail.  One example is that the ghost ring sights--which had been removed for the refinish--were even returned to their exact locations to ease resighting.

Anyway, I just wanted to give any Wisconsin locals a heads-up on the resource we have in David's refinishing.  Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I just found the new finish for my Springfield slide.

Thanks for the review / heads up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, thanks Glenn. I have 2 ARs that need refinishing.
What was turn around?

Maybe Dave'll chime in here.
Link Posted: 2/2/2005 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Glenn,
Thanks for the kind words! It was an extreme pleasure doing business with you! In answer to Drjarheads's question, turnaround time typically runs 4-6 weeks....give or take Tommy, email me if I can be of service!
Cheers,
Dave
Link Posted: 2/2/2005 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]
That's good to hear.
Link Posted: 2/2/2005 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Glenn,
Thanks for the kind words! It was an extreme pleasure doing business with you! In answer to Drjarheads's question, turnaround time typically runs 4-6 weeks....give or take Tommy, email me if I can be of service!
Cheers,
Dave

Dave,
do you have any pics or something to give me an idea of color.
I have a full size AR with a Lauer lower and everything else Colt that I want to refinish in Colt Gray.
Link Posted: 2/2/2005 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dave,
do you have any pics or something to give me an idea of color.
I have a full size AR with a Lauer lower and everything else Colt that I want to refinish in Colt Gray.

Doc,

The shotguns I had Dave refinish were done in Colt Gray.  My pics are at the bottom of Dave's Testimonials page (there's a link in my first post in this thread).  The photos are a very close likeness of the shotgun's "real" color.

HTH.
Link Posted: 2/2/2005 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Glenn. Nice pics, nice finish.
I'll have to get mine in.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Gents,

Just an update.  I received yet another shotgun I'd sent to Dave for DuraCoating, a Mossberg this time.  It came back looking just as great as the other ones he's done.  I'm very, very impressed with the job he does, and he'll continue to get business from me.

So, BTT with a repeat recommendation for one of our own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top