Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 4:14:16 PM EDT
Question? Once a cop car or any emergency vehicle has meet its life and is no longer in public service, doesnt its markings as well as emergency lights have to be removed prior to it being auctioned or sold to someone it the public? Reason I ask, is there is a City of Phoenix Police car in my town parked at a residence next to a small conveniance store and it is definetly marked and absolutely distinguishable as a cop car. If I was in Phoenix I would assume it is still in use. I live 3 hours east of Phoenix by the way. Isnt this illegal or "out of regs" to have a cruiser in this condition still in public not being used for officail duties??  Just curious
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
pics!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats funny, If your talking Safford, there is a phoenix police car next to the old Sals market......   Guy has 2-3 other impala ss's there as well.....   I seen a temp permit on it a few months ago..Looks like it should be sitting in front of the phoenix PD....  I like the way he points it towards the highway. It has all the markings, Im sure the Phoenix PD wouldnt like that someone is driving it around....   Maybe I will snap a pic of it tommorrow..
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah...thats the one I am talking about!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
OK..I live right down the road from him.....like i  said he has like 2-3 other impalas besides the PD cruiser and he plays musical cars with them, always moving them to different spots....  I think he may be a little WEIRD..  I guess it could be a good theft deterant......   For awhile anyways......

Quoted:
Yeah...thats the one I am talking about!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Until he starts pulling people over....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Pics
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I know the car, see If I can get one tommorrow

Quoted:
Pics

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#8]
ive seen a guy with a 70's model Arizona state trooper car all original markings
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag for potentially epic pics!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I purchased a Crown Vic P71 from a guy who bought them at auctions then flipped them. The one i bought had the lights, but no department markings, it had just been repainted by Maaco. He did however have others there he had just bought with department names and logos all over them. Some of them still had the plexiglass between the seats and the laptop mount and big center console in them too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I would think that emergancy vehicles would have to be stripped of anything that outwardly, would still be perceived as the same. Just like the military has to demil items before they can be sold in a DRMO sale. The way cash is drying up for local PD's, it would be cost effective to move the lights, cages, radio/MDT mounts, antennas to a new vehicle rather than buy all new equipment. If you ever wanna look it up, that stuff is wayyyyy expensive.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#12]
It's not against the law to have badges, it's against the law to pretend like you're a cop.

I bought a 9C1 Caprice from a guy in PHX that collected cop cars... some marked, some not.  It's freedom, baby.  Taste it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's not against the law to have badges, it's against the law to pretend like you're a cop.

I bought a 9C1 Caprice from a guy in PHX that collected cop cars... some marked, some not.  It's freedom, baby.  Taste it.

Yeah... and its ok to go around wearing military ribbons you didnt earn cause we are free. Oh.....wait... you cant!  Hmmm......legitimate laws, rules that keep numbnuts from acting like cops still dont take away your freedom. If you can taste that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Items end up being sold which should not end up in public hands. Guessing Phoenix is caught up in the so many items no time to see if its stripped for public sale. Occasionally Phoenix Police will sell their hand held radios and more than a few times they have been sold programmed and 100% working.

The marked vehicles, I would think the marking could be City of Phoenix property? The red & blue lights are not a big deal, unless they are turned on somewhere other than private property.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah... and its ok to go around wearing military ribbons you didnt earn cause we are free. Oh.....wait... you cant!  Hmmm......legitimate laws, rules that keep numbnuts from acting like cops still dont take away your freedom. If you can taste that.

Didn't they just strike down that Stolen Valor law?

ETA: Link to story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100818/ap_on_re_us/us_military_medals_impostors
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#16]
no pics today, went by guy was working in yard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Wonder what his ARFCom screen name is?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ive seen a guy with a 70's model Arizona state trooper car all original markings

Yeah, I've seen that several times too.  He does parades and stuff.  I dont see the big deal with owning a former cop car, with all lights and signage any more than I see an issue with owning a HMMWV or M-151 with USMC on the fender or an N3N Yellow Peril with U.S. Navy on the side and white stars on the wings.  Provided it is not misused, I dont see a problem.  Hell, maybe he rents it out for Commercials and Movie Shoots.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#19]
No pics........then it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Nope your right... we all just talk about it for something to do.......  GEE WHIZ, that is the best thing people can come up with?????? ""No pics , didnt happen"  Gee whiz.

I see a problem with it.....  Someone SHOULDNT be allowed to cruise around in a police car that is marked  "Phoenix? police, "tucson" or what have you??????   being in LE for the past 24 years I think it takes someone a little "Strange' to even want to drive one around...

No different than someone wanting to walk around with a phoenix police uniform posing as one??? or someone walking around in full dress military uniform....   First of all Im sure if someone seen tha,t they would think the person had a few screws loose.  But I can honestly say I dont see a whole lot of weirdo's driving police cruisers around., but on the other hand I guess I may see one and not know it...

I just think its a potential problem....  fakes out the general public for one..  Im sure the phoenix police really dont want  someone cruising a car with all their markings on it......

What about you Military guys, seeing somone walk around in a special forces uniform with medals, would you like that..?  Doubt it..

Quoted:
No pics........then it didn't happen.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#21]
No pics....useless thread.

("Look at me everybody. I been in LE 24 years.  I'm so special, gee whiz")

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
..legitimate laws, rules that keep numbnuts from acting like cops still dont take away your freedom. If you can taste that.

...and the 'no guns' sign on the bank door stops robberies?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Whenever PPD auctions off a car, they remove the stickers.  Usually though, you can still see where they were.  It would be tremendously easy to re-create.  Anyway, eodinert has it right.  It ain't illegal until he's pretending to be a cop.  I'm willing to bet the local PD might be interested in making sure he's not doing anything like traffic stops with it.  On a side note, that's the last thing I would want.  Who wants to look like a cop if he doesn't have to.  Sounds like he has a screw loose.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#24]

No, but I think your the kind who has a police car or walks around with his gun showing to show how much a bad ass you are..  

Hey OP I think you should have posted in the LE section, Those responding in favor are want to be LE's and probably have a car and a uniform hanging in thier closets....

Quoted:
No pics....useless thread.

("Look at me everybody. I been in LE 24 years.  I'm so special, gee whiz")

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Who, me??  You think I want to emulate you?   Not likely.    I know personally a retired Phx LEO who told me he couldn't wait to leave, because way too many of his fellow officers shirk their duties onto others.  They just put their time on the clock and go home.   Can you spell L A Z Y.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
..legitimate laws, rules that keep numbnuts from acting like cops still dont take away your freedom. If you can taste that.

...and the 'no guns' sign on the bank door stops robberies?

Oooh well ....it that case lets just do away with laws altogther! Free for all... cause signs dont stop anybody
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Never said anything about you wanting to emulate me.. Ya all cops are just lazy dumb asses.. Probably your friend is the one who tried to pawn all his duties off...

You sound like a criminal......like your hiding something... I think your guilty...

Quoted:
Who, me??  You think I want to emulate you?   Not likely.    I know personally a retired Phx LEO who told me he couldn't wait to leave, because way too many of his fellow officers shirk their duties onto others.  They just put their time on the clock and go home.   Can you spell L A Z Y.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nope your right... we all just talk about it for something to do.......  GEE WHIZ, that is the best thing people can come up with?????? ""No pics , didnt happen"  Gee whiz.

I  see a problem with it.....  Someone SHOULDNT be allowed to cruise around in a police car that is marked  "Phoenix? police, "tucson" or what have you??????   being in LE for the past 24 years I think it takes someone a little "Strange' to even want to drive one around...

Have read the OP a few times, and I still cannot find where he mentions the owner "cruising around" in the car.

No different than someone wanting to walk around with a phoenix police uniform posing as one??? or someone walking around in full dress military uniform....   First of all Im sure if someone seen tha,t they would think the person had a few screws loose.  But I can honestly say I dont see a whole lot of weirdo's driving police cruisers around., but on the other hand I guess I may see one and not know it...

There is a huge difference between a person putting on a uniform and Sam Browne, complete with handgun and strolling the streets, just for the hell of it, and a parked vehicle 3 hours from the city that used to own it.  

I just think its a potential problem....  fakes out the general public for one..  Im sure the phoenix police really dont want  someone cruising a car with all their markings on it......

Again with the cruising thing.  The car is parked, 3 hours from the city of Phoenix.  Who is getting faked out?

What about you Military guys, seeing somone walk around in a special forces uniform with medals, would you like that..?  Doubt it.

What exactly is a "Special Forces" uniform? I have seen the SEALS Budweiser, Army Ranger Tabs, Para Rescue Berets, jump wings and scuba pins, etc, but never a full uniform.   And unless he has hair down to his waist, or something stupid and obvious like stripes on the sleeve and officer insignia on the collar, short of checking his Mil ID, its hard to spot a fake just from a glance.  Yeah, as a  vet and the son of a vet, it bothers me that people have claimed service when they had done none but  It matters little if we like or dislike it.  It is not illegal, and beating his ass is kinda frowned upon.  We have bigger things to worry about, like the pricks that fake documents to steal vet benefits, than bothering with some idiot with a chest full of fruit salad he didn't earn.  But seriously, we are still talking about a car parked three hours away from Phoenix.  Not driving around, not pulling folks over,  just parked.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Not just parked, HE DRIVES it...  I guess there are more important things to worry about than this and it is getting out of hand.. WE all have our own opinions.. I just think somone that drives a marked police car around has a few screws loose....

Quoted:
Quoted:

I  see a problem with it.....  Someone SHOULDNT be allowed to cruise around in a police car that is marked  "Phoenix? police, "tucson" or what have you??????   being in LE for the past 24 years I think it takes someone a little "Strange' to even want to drive one around...

Have read the OP a few times, and I still cannot find where he mentions the owner "cruising around" in the car.

There is a huge difference between a person putting on a uniform and Sam Browne, complete with handgun and strolling the streets, just for the hell of it, and a parked vehicle 3 hours from the city that used to own it.  

Again with the cruising thing.  The car is parked, 3 hours from the city of Phoenix.  Who is getting faked out?

What about you Military guys, seeing somone walk around in a special forces uniform with medals, would you like that..?  Doubt it.

What exactly is a "Special Forces" uniform? I have seen the SEALS Budweiser, Army Ranger Tabs, Para Rescue Berets, jump wings and scuba pins, etc, but never a full uniform.   And unless he has hair down to his waist, or something stupid and obvious like stripes on the sleeve and officer insignia on the collar, short of checking his Mil ID, its hard to spot a fake just from a glance.  Yeah, as a  vet and the son of a vet, it bothers me that people have claimed service when they had done none but  It matters little if we like or dislike it.  It is not illegal, and beating his ass is kinda frowned upon.  We have bigger things to worry about, like the pricks that fake documents to steal vet benefits, than bothering with some idiot with a chest full of fruit salad he didn't earn.  But seriously, we are still talking about a car parked three hours away from Phoenix.  Not driving around, not pulling folks over,  just parked.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top