Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 3:25:40 AM EDT
Have any of you ever heard of a sandbag exploding because the barrel of a gun was resting on it and it got too hot? When I say explode, I suppose I mean literally 'burst' and spray sand everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#1]
No,  unless the muzzle was on the bag and the blast ripped the bag open.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Or the sandbag was surrounding the vents on a brake or compensator and the gas pressure ruptured it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Have any of you ever heard of a sandbag exploding because the barrel of a gun was resting on it and it got too hot? When I say explode, I suppose I mean literally 'burst' and spray sand everywhere.

no such thing
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't think so. I've been going to gun ranges since I was 12 and never heard of it happening.

I was at Blue Mountain Sportsman Center in Peekskill NY the other weekend and I brought my young cousin to try and show him what gun safety and responsibility is all about. He's into 'hip-hop' culture and unfortunately that left him with some very negative ideas about how to handle firearms. I wanted to try and impress just how serious guns are and also how much fun shooting can be.

I have to say that I have the upmost respect for Range Officers generally speaking but the one they had on staff was incredibly rude. I had my cousin firing one shot at a time, I was loading the rounds for him and this guy was just looking for something to jump on him for. He had the barrel resting on a sandbag and the officer YELLED at him stating 'TAKE THE BARREL OFF THE SANDBAG! Its going to overheat and the bag will explode sending sand everywhere!'

At the rate of one shot every minute or so, I am doubtful the rifle would have generated enough heat to even burn his hand, let alone make a sandbag 'explode'. We complied, as anyone should when at a range, but it pretty much ruined what I was trying to impress on my cousin. If its your first time out at a range and someone yells at you over something so ridiculous, its tough to want to stick with it.

Anyway, I'm very disappointed. I've been to Blue Mountain several times and had no problem before this point. As a Range Officer, that guy should be helping and encouraging, not yelling at him over trivial crap.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I didn't think so. I've been going to gun ranges since I was 12 and never heard of it happening.

I was at Blue Mountain Sportsman Center in Peekskill NY the other weekend and I brought my young cousin to try and show him what gun safety and responsibility is all about. He's into 'hip-hop' culture and unfortunately that left him with some very negative ideas about how to handle firearms. I wanted to try and impress just how serious guns are and also how much fun shooting can be.

I have to say that I have the upmost respect for Range Officers generally speaking but the one they had on staff was incredibly rude. I had my cousin firing one shot at a time, I was loading the rounds for him and this guy was just looking for something to jump on him for. He had the barrel resting on a sandbag and the officer YELLED at him stating 'TAKE THE BARREL OFF THE SANDBAG! Its going to overheat and the bag will explode sending sand everywhere!'

At the rate of one shot every minute or so, I am doubtful the rifle would have generated enough heat to even burn his hand, let alone make a sandbag 'explode'. We complied, as anyone should when at a range, but it pretty much ruined what I was trying to impress on my cousin. If its your first time out at a range and someone yells at you over something so ridiculous, its tough to want to stick with it.

Anyway, I'm very disappointed. I've been to Blue Mountain several times and had no problem before this point. As a Range Officer, that guy should be helping and encouraging, not yelling at him over trivial crap.

ya thats complete BS....id talk to the guy on the side about it... because I dont know where he hear/read/saw that ever happen....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen revolvers cylinder gap blow bags to shreds.  And I'd seen plenty of people creep the rifle back until the muzzle blast blew the bag to hell, but never from heat.  I can't conceive of anyway you could generate enough heat to cause a problem.

Conversely. you NEVER want to rest the barrel directly on the sand bags from an accuracy standpoint. But it sure ain't gonna blow up.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:15:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Just a minor point but I believe that at blue mountain range the bags are filled with lead shot or some other heavy metal.

riggo
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#8]
When a muzzle brake is to close to the bag.
http://www.ny-tactical.com/images/NYtactical-001.jpg
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Just a minor point but I believe that at blue mountain range the bags are filled with lead shot or some other heavy metal.

It was filled with sand.

When a muzzle brake is to close to the bag.

The muzzle was a mile away from the bag. He was using my SKS and the pre-ban bayonet lugs were sitting in front of the bag making it impossible for the gun to slide back far enough to catch the sandbag. The R.O. was out of line and turned off a teenager to proper gun use and respect. Shame on him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top